Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Aww just get the convertible, it's not that Mustangs are more expensive, it's that everything is more expensive, be happy you only live once, and top down is such a nice feeling.
I said it's one reason, not the only reason.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Me thinks....

This is a milestone in the History of the Ford Mustang that's worth owning. Simply because it represents the first push into blending modern advancements with old fashioned grunt.

My money goes here, but again...not quick to be the first adopter of anything .... I'll likely wait until mid 2016 to plunk my money down on one after they take the first year from mid 2015 to sort out all the kinks. And for them to have gone through those "Ah Ha" moments where they realize they should have done a little bit of this and a little more of that.

My 2 cents
---
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
for a 90 degree engine, the 2nd-order vibration in the Z (vertical) plane goes up by the square root of two, so roughly 1.414 times more intense. the mild rocking couple of an I4 will cancel.
Thanks. You brought up what I forgot to mention: we are assuming a 90 degree bank angle separation, thus the root 2.

I cannot recall ever seeing any V8 engines with anything different from a 90degress separation, but I have seen V6 engines with 90 degrees and 120 degrees. I do not see how V8 would benefit from any other separation angle than 90degrees.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
If you hold out for rumored vehicles you will never have a vehicle to enjoy.

Plus there has been a rumored Mach 1 return with every refresh since the '04.

I will believe it when Ford puts out an official release.
Same here. My guess is if Ford were to call the S550 GT350 something else, it would probably have been called the Mach I. Or Ford could have revived the Boss name once again.

I guess this because of what we say in the SN95 New Edges:
The Mach I was an N/A upgrade over the GT using the DOHC 4.6.
The Cobra was the top trim, a supercharged DOHC 4.6.

But as FoMoCo plans has it, the name for this performance N/A S550 became GT350.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Thanks. You brought up what I forgot to mention: we are assuming a 90 degree bank angle separation, thus the root 2.

I cannot recall ever seeing any V8 engines with anything different from a 90degress separation, but I have seen V6 engines with 90 degrees and 120 degrees. I do not see how V8 would benefit from any other separation angle than 90degrees.
the Yamaha/Ford SHO V8 used in the '96+ Taurus was a 60 degree engine, but the crankshaft was a crossplane with split crankpins. plus it needed a balance shaft.

a crossplane V8 pretty much needs to be 90 degrees for things to be smooth and balanced without additional hardware. A flatplane can be any vee angle and be tolerable; the balance characteristics won't change apart from the second order vibration becoming more intense if the vee angle is narrower than 90.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

the Yamaha/Ford SHO V8 used in the '96+ Taurus was a 60 degree engine, but the crankshaft was a crossplane with split crankpins. plus it needed a balance shaft.

a crossplane V8 pretty much needs to be 90 degrees for things to be smooth and balanced without additional hardware. A flatplane can be any vee angle and be tolerable; the balance characteristics won't change apart from the second order vibration becoming more intense if the vee angle is narrower than 90.
Thanks again. I left off another assumption to the reason for the V8 90degree bank separation: Crossplane crankshafts.

I had to look up the Yamaha/Ford SHO V8, but I found it.
Yes, since its bank angle separation is more acute at 60degrees, it's up and down forces would be scaled by root 3 instead of only root 2.

Coming back to the 5.2L "Voodoo" engine, since bank angle separation is irrelevant since the crossplane crank is discarded, I am curios if Ford decided to go with a more acute bank separation angle to free up lateral spaced in the engine bay or if they decided to go with a wider angle to put more top clearance under the hood and to reduce center of mass?

My initial guess is that this 5.2L will remain at 90degrees for the sake of manufacturing using the Ford Modular equipment.
If Ford decided to discard the Modular manufacturing protocols, I could see the "Voodoo"going with a bank angle wider than 90degrees to lower the CG.

Going back to balancing, I doubt the "Voodoo" will use balancing shafts because those would mitigate or even eliminate the low rotating inertia advantage of the flatplane crank.
I am instead guessing that the engine will be designed with lighter weight pistons and conrods to help combat the second order forces.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:47 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Coming back to the 5.2L "Voodoo" engine, since bank angle separation is irrelevant since the crossplane crank is discarded, I am curios if Ford decided to go with a more acute bank separation angle to free up lateral spaced in the engine bay or if they decided to go with a wider angle to put more top clearance under the hood and to reduce center of mass?

My initial guess is that this 5.2L will remain at 90degrees for the sake of manufacturing using the Ford Modular equipment.
If Ford decided to discard the Modular manufacturing protocols, I could see the "Voodoo"going with a bank angle wider than 90degrees to lower the CG.
It's 90°; this engine is seriously not much more than a Coyote with a flat plane crank and the cam/timing/exhaust changes to go along with it. I doubt they could justify designing an entirely new engine just for the GT350.

Going back to balancing, I doubt the "Voodoo" will use balancing shafts because those would mitigate or even eliminate the low rotating inertia advantage of the flatplane crank.
I am instead guessing that the engine will be designed with lighter weight pistons and conrods to help combat the second order forces.
you do what Ferrari does; minimize the reciprocating mass as much as possible to reduce overall vibration, weight match the reciprocating parts to minimize coarseness, and then just put up with the remaining vibrations because racecar.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I doubt they could justify designing an entirely new engine just for the GT350.
It's just for the GT350 that we know of.

Ford made the cammer 5.0L just for the fr500 cars for years to test reliability before changing the intake manifold and calling it the coyote.

So why not design a whole new engine for the svt car first then maybe use it to replace the 5.0L in other top of the line packaged models.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

the only other application for the 5.0 is the F-150, and what purpose would such an engine serve in that truck?
Old 11-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

the only other application for the 5.0 is the F-150, and what purpose would such an engine serve in that truck?
It could herald the rebirth of the SVT Lightning.

Which would be an easy sale for the pickup crowd.

Me Thinks
---

Quick Reply: Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8