Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Worries about the 2015 unjustified!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

When I drove the 2015 GT I got a different impression. I agree it felt like a heavier car, but I thought that was a very positive feeling. It felt like a more solid in its tracking. I took a corner pretty hard at 20 MPH & it seemed to hug the ground better than earlier models. I think where the IRS will be noticed will be on bumpy roads especially in cornering.

I'm not sure I like the styling of the '15 better than earlier models, but I like it. Months ago a poster made the point that you have to see the car rather than a picture to judge its looks. I wasn't sure that made much sense at the time, but he was right.

I just wish Ford would make a 5.0L with a supercharger, big brakes & good shocks at about 600hp in both stick & automatic. I think they are missing the boat there! They should be able to sell a car like that for around $45, & WOW! If Roush will OK the 2015 supercharger for the an automatic I may put it together myself.

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-09-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
When I drove the 2015 GT I got a different impression. I agree it felt like a heavier car, but I thought that was a very positive feeling. It felt like a more solid in its tracking. I took a corner pretty hard at 20 MPH & it seemed to hug the ground better than earlier models. I think where the IRS will be noticed will be on bumpy roads especially in cornering.

I'm not sure I like the styling of the '15 better than earlier models, but I like it. Months ago a poster made the point that you have to see the car rather than a picture to judge its looks. I wasn't sure that made much sense at the time, but he was right.

I just wish Ford would make a 5.0L with a supercharger, big brakes & good shocks at about 600hp in both stick & automatic. I think they are missing the boat there! They should be able to sell a car like that for around $45, & WOW! If Roush will OK the 2015 supercharger for the an automatic I may put it together myself.
The GT500 was more than $45k.

We can slap on mods ourselves and things work ok for the most part. There's always little quirks with any aftermarket things. In the OEM, you can't do that. The car has to be right, plus engineered safety margins. The engine cost would rise immediately along with the rest of the drivetrain. We have already seen that halfshafts are going to break with big mods so changing those would be a must for a SC car along with any other weaknesses.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

My '13 5.0 must've been weak, because my '15 GT feels quicker than my '13 did, and that had a race tune on it.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:15 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genxer
The GT500 was more than $45k.

We can slap on mods ourselves and things work ok for the most part. There's always little quirks with any aftermarket things. In the OEM, you can't do that. The car has to be right, plus engineered safety margins. The engine cost would rise immediately along with the rest of the drivetrain. We have already seen that halfshafts are going to break with big mods so changing those would be a must for a SC car along with any other weaknesses.
My point was that the Mustang I described should cost more than $45K & I'd like it more than a GT 500 especially at that price. (5.0L with a supercharger, big brakes & good shocks at about 600hp in both stick & automatic.) The Roush supercharger kept to 600 HP I think is pretty reliable. I'd like to buy that kind of a setup from Ford on the 5.0L engine. Setting it up with stronger pistons, rods & crank would be really nice!

I'd be surprised if a 2015 would run much stronger than the 2013! Maybe it is like a "clean car" always seems like it runs better"! LOL! The only thing I noticed is that the 2015 seemed like it rode with the more solid feeling of a bigger car. After driving the Mustang I drove a new supercharged Cadillac & I really thought the Mustang rode better. The Cadillac was very squirrelly when you put your foot in it! The new Camaro did not ride very good at all for having an IRS. I didn't like anything about it! I used to love Camaros & Covettes, but the new ones look like a childish "Transformer Model"! That's fine if you are 11 years old.... but then I'm as old as dirt.... but still like cars!

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-11-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Maybe my '15 isn't actually quicker. I'll probably never know, since I never go to the track. Maybe it feels it, because the '15 is more solid, buttoned down and refined. I do notice the power seems more instant and linear with my '15, as opposed to my '13, where you were able to feel the cams doing there thing up top, kinda like V-tech or a high boost turbo car feeling.
Also, you say you thought the mustang rode better than the Cadillac...that says a lot about the new mustangs build quality. The new car does ride like it should cost way more than what it does. Cadillac seems as if it's taking their cars in the opposite direction, whereas their cars are getting a little TOO sporty(and expensive)
The most luxury car I can compare my '15 GT premium with, was with my 2012 Dodge Charger RT. I thought that was a fancy, great driving car. I think my mustang rides just as nice, but also fancier inside, as well. You can't beat Dodges Uconnect though lol.