Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

I think I enjoyed the ecoboost more than the GT! *flame suit on*

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Default I think I enjoyed the ecoboost more than the GT! *flame suit on*

I am the LAST person that anyone would expect to choose ecoboost over GT, purely based on performance figures. I love horsepower/speed in all of my hobbies and currently own a 2012 GT, for comparison.

I decided to make my way down to the local dealership last Saturday and they had on their lot a Base ecoboost Auto, an auto v6, and a manual, loaded GT (minus performance pack/recaro's). I figured I would get the "ecoboost" out of the way and drive that first. I have seen the performance figures after a tune and was VERY impressed with the HP per dollar this motor can churn out. I am still curious what the longevity of this motor is with a tune, but that will be revealed in time.

I dont care for the small wheels and huge-sidewall tires on the base ecoboost but was pleasantly surprised by the ride/handling/body roll, even with those Camry tires installed. Once the motor was up to temp I was blasting through the gears in sport mode and was pleasantly surprised how much faster the vehicle felt than I expected. The paddle shifters have quite the delay which detracts from performance but the motor feels very refined and still had plenty of torque to keep my happy.

After a 10 mile cruise I took it back and grabbed the keys to the GT. I was thinking, great, I am going to drive this and come back and trade my '12 for this thing. I let the engine get up to temp in the lot while I was checking out the interior (which is light years ahead of my '12). I engaged first gear and was shocked at how light the clutch pedal is (almost TOO light for my taste).

Knowing full well that this vehicle (especially trimmed out the way it is, vs my base model '12 gt 6mt) was weighing in around 200 pounds more, I still expected the extra ~25 hp/~10tq to feel noticeable. It did not. Granted this motor nor the tranny are broken in, but everything felt very coarse compared to the ecoboost I just got out of. I can certainly appreciate the *****-to-the wall visceral feeling of performance but this wasn't it... It was, of course, quicker but it did not feel as fast as I thought it should.

I am a HUGE NA motor fan, love v8's because of the powerband and the amazing note that comes through the pipes but I am heavily (sadly in my mind) considering an ecoboost in the future. I dont know for sure that I could live with a stock exhaust (seeing as how the few custom/aftermarket jobs I have heard on the ecoboost sound like absolute CRAP) but It has definitely changed my mind from deciding to "for sure" be buying a base model manual GT with Recaro's and performance pack. I am now looking forward to driving an ecoboost equipped similarly to compare apples to apples equipment.

Has anyone else driven the ecoboost and been impressed? It feels downright wrong for me to even put these feelings into text as it completely goes against the grain of my v8- Torque lovin' - Merica', Race fuel and PBR past.

Last edited by r00st; 12-09-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

It doesn't suprise me that the Ecoboost performs so well. I saw the cutaway engine at a car show and it looked tiny, even the turbo housings. Turbos and engine controls are light years ahead of where they were in the 1980s when Ford last did this. It weighs less so the handling can't help but be more neutral and acceleration is probably nice off the line too.

It's a personal decision. I want a V8 because I loved them when I was younger (and still do). And it's a Mustang! Otherwise, for sheer 4 cyl sports car performance I would have to do a bit more research.

The plus is this car is RWD. There's only a a handful of 4 banger cars that can claim that. There's the BRZ/FRS for instance.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That's because the Ecoboost motor has a much wider, useable power band for it's TQ than the NA V6 or V8.

The Ecoboost has peak TQ from 2500 to 4500 RPM. That's a flat peak. The V6 and V8's have their single spikey peak near redline so unless you're redline every shift you are not getting 100% tq.

THat's what gives the Ecoboost it's punch feeling 100% tq in a more useable range. As for the Camry style tires, that's because you tested the base model.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:26 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

no flaming here.....I've actually heard that from a few people!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I would think that the eco would feel more nimble on it's feet.Strangely,it has some appeal for me too,but I want more go than my current 04 GT,so I'll probably go for a V8 again.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I see two huge differences to be considered

1) Cost of adding more power. I believe here is where the GT will shine due to the fact that it is NA and will accept tons of bolt ons, including FI

2) Exhaust acoustics. This is a huge thing for me and would rule out the Ecoboost.

I fully support what Ford did with putting the Ecoboost in - I just wish they would have put in one of the larger models, such as the 3.5 V6. I think it would be a much bigger hit had that been done.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

I fully agree- was there a 3.5 Eco option, I would take that all day long. Those motors put down some serious power with only a turbo swap/tune which is not a huge investment.

The mustang eco does put down some crazy high (peak) numbers but the turbo runs out of breath in the top end for sure. At this point though dollar for dollar, hp for hp, I think the ecoboost nets the best $/hp gains. Now if a person is trying to make the eco outrun a GT on the track, that can be done for a couple of grand. Throw that same couple of grand at the GT and you will have a quicker and more reliable car but the GT is a $7000 premium over the eco.

As far as the exhaust goes...there is NO arguing that. Not only is there no comparison for a nice v8 exhaust- this new eco exhaust sounds horrible with every iteration of custom/aftermarket setup I have heard so far (which, to be fair, is only about three, to date).

The srt-4 neons always (imo) had great sounding exhausts- hopefully one of the manufacturers can figure out how to tune their setup so the eco does not sound like a two stroke margarita blender.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I've heard some wicked sounding wrx-sti's...
Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I've also heard a wicked STI but they are a flat 4, which sounds a bit different than an inline 4.

Oh if Ford would build a smaller coupe like the Tc or BRZ and make it RWD with the Ecoboost 4, that would be awesome! Something on the order of 500-600 lbs lighter than the Mustang. Beast mode and good gas mileage.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

All of the 4s sound like pissed off bumble bees to me / two stroke margarita blender.

Quick Reply: I think I enjoyed the ecoboost more than the GT! *flame suit on*