Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Automatics in GTs?

Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genxer
I've been driving little Hondas with manuals for so long, I am really wondering how the American cars compare in shifter feel and clutch weight at the pedal. All the V8 cars I've ever driven have been an auto. I should be ok though, because I've driven a 3 speed on the column, and I can't think of anything more nightmarish.
I think that the clutch pedal effort is just right in my 04 GT.I was surprised how light the pedal was in a 2014,as if nothing is there.
I actually enjoyed driving a car with "3 on the tree" back in the day.My first car which I received brand new,was a 1970 Chevelle with a 307 and a two speed Powerglide transmission. Years later,I picked up a tired,plain Jane 1970 Chevelle wagon with the same motor and the "3 on the tree".I thought that I had a semi sleeper.I could dust off six cylinder Camaros! ;-P
The only bad thing was that the shift tube was worn-shifts were a bit loosey goosey,and you couldn't rush it too much.Kinda neat to effect shifts while virtually keeping both hands on the wheel.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster

I think that the clutch pedal effort is just right in my 04 GT.I was surprised how light the pedal was in a 2014,as if nothing is there.
That's because your 04 has a manual clutch with a cable and the 05+ cars have a hydraulic clutch.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

The Roush shop that did the work on Mustang has put superchargers on quite a few automatics. They said so far no problems. That says something! I'm going to buy an automatic GT next time around. Of course the nine year olds with a driver's license can break anything. Slamming the torque to any driveline will eventually cause damage. Applying the power gradually makes all the difference in the world in keeping parts together!

Why do the call it common sense... when it isn't common?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Only beef I've heard is the paddle shifters...kind hard to use them while turning or unwinding from a turn and there is no way to use the floor shifter in sport mode.
Is this really true?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 AM
JimC

I drove a 2015 a couple of weeks ago and I don't think that the floor shifter has the sport mode button any more. Can't remember for sure though, but it makes sense. With paddle shifters wouldn't need the button on the shifter too.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:07 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
Only beef I've heard is the paddle shifters...kind hard to use them while turning or unwinding from a turn and there is no way to use the floor shifter in sport mode.
Is this really true?
I believe that is true for any car with paddle shifters on the wheel.

I presume that is has all to do with the steering wheel ratio. On a car with a small steering wheel ratio, you don't have to turn the wheel as hard over so working the shifting paddles will be easy.

In a car with a higher steering wheel ratio, the paddles will obviously be put in a completely awkward position.
But if you have to turn the wheel hand over hand for a very tight turn, steering wheel ratio and paddle shifter position becomes moot.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

My DD has paddle shifters and the floor shift sport mode, which comes in very handy. I can't imagine why one should negate the need for the other, in spite of the explanation above.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Cobra4me
2nd Gear Member

I have a 14 Auto which is my first auto after several Mustangs. It is good to have as a DD. I will say I miss the M6 on the mountain cruises because of the engine braking. I used the sport mode shifter nicely through the mountains though and kept up with the pack. There is nothing wrong with an auto. It just as fast or faster and still fun to drive.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Cobra4me
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4me
I have a 14 Auto which is my first auto after several Mustangs. It is good to have as a DD. I will say I miss the M6 on the mountain cruises because of the engine braking. I used the sport mode shifter nicely through the mountains though and kept up with the pack. There is nothing wrong with an auto. It just as fast or faster and still fun to drive.
sorry just saw this was the 2015 section
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Just from test driving a 2015 I got the impression the paddle shifters simply took practice to use when turning. They do allow both hands on the wheel. I don't think I personally will use them in tight turns because I don't push cars on mountain roads. It's playing Russian Roulette they way people drive today! Sooner or later you'll smack someone on the wrong side of the road or stopped to take a picture of a bunny!

I was getting on a downhill onramp to a freeway with my '61 fuelly Corvette & a woman slammed on her brakes right in front of me to look at my car & give me the thumbs up! Luckily I wasn't stomping on it & didn't rear end her! Always keep in mind there are idiots out there when you put your foot in it! I don't go WOT unless there is nobody around who can attack me with their car! Some people aim cars rather than drive them!

(Picture many, many years ago as I am 72 now! Yikes!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatics in GTs?