Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

My test drive of the '15 Ecoboost & 15 GT compared to my '11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Question My test drive of the '15 Ecoboost & 15 GT compared to my '11 5.0

I think that most of you are curious, like I was for a test drive of the '15 Mustang compared to our present 5.0 (mine is a '11 GT with the Brembo package, 3.73 gear and manual transmission). The first one that I tried on my test drive was a beautiful looking white with blue stripes, track packaged automatic Ecoboost, after my test drive I was not at all interested on the car, it felt very heavy for that small engine, also noticed that it took very long to drop the rpms when I release the accelerator, if I wanted to drop it I had to instead use the paddle shift, I felt very disappointed of this car, it did not felt like a Mustang, I remembered that in one of my trips I rented a '14 V6 automatic transmission Mustang and it was faster compared to the Ecoboost mule. Then I steeped into a 50th. dark blue aniversary GT automatic transmission that I believe it had the track package included (wider 275's Pirelli's at the back) & 3.50 gear, the car felt very fast, to a point that I did not miss the stick of my '11 std. transmission, I could heard a strong inspiring noise from the engine, and even in full auto felt very fast, to be sincere I could not distinguish the IRS from my '11 GT rear axle feeling, I did not had a close place to try it on curves, just two highway "U" turns, the cooling of the seats was great, even I had to turn it off after a while. I was really surprised, with the engine & transmission setup.
Looking at the exterior and interior of the car, the '15 Mustang looks way better in person than in the magazines or web pictures, but not enough to persuaded me to change my present car, I did not had that old enthusiastic feeling compared to when I first bough my '11 GT 5.0. Probably for newcomers it will be more attractive. I don't know something it's missing on this car. Spirit?

Last edited by M3hunter; 12-15-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:38 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

What is missing? For me, on the appearance part, the S550 is missing what is supposed to resemble a front bumper; something that has always been present in every generation of Mustangs.

If FoMoCo worked a front bumper appearance into the front fascia, I would be much more forgiving of the massive Evos/Aston Martin front end grille.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The 4 banger is the entry level Stang so it's not supposed to be impressive performance wise.

Interestingly, my 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion is just as fast than my friends 3.7 V6 Mustang (2013).
Both cars are stock and autos...
I drove his car quite a few times before and when we got the Fusion I realize that there wasn't much difference so I asked him to swap cars and open them up on a test.
It was neck to neck each time before and after the swap so we were surprised.

Another friend has persuaded his girlfriend to buy a 2015 GT and I'll get to test drive that but it won't be until January as the car is being built at the moment...
I don't care about the performance, I just wanna see how heavy it feels.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by pascal
The 4 banger is the entry level Stang so it's not supposed to be impressive performance wise.

Interestingly, my 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion is just as fast than my friends 3.7 V6 Mustang (2013).
Both cars are stock and autos...
I drove his car quite a few times before and when we got the Fusion I realize that there wasn't much difference so I asked him to swap cars and open them up on a test.
It was neck to neck each time before and after the swap so we were surprised.

Another friend has persuaded his girlfriend to buy a 2015 GT and I'll get to test drive that but it won't be until January as the car is being built at the moment...
I don't care about the performance, I just wanna see how heavy it feels.
The sixxer 'stang is still the entry level..though unfortunately it doesn't look like Ford is offering much with that trim level. It seems hit or miss with who likes or is impressed by the turbo four. Guess I have to go drive all three myself.

Was the sixxer an auto vert with fatass turd 2.73 gears? Because it looks like the Fusion's gearing in the transmission gives it a huge advantage.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 99GTvert

Was the sixxer an auto vert with fatass turd 2.73 gears? Because it looks like the Fusion's gearing in the transmission gives it a huge advantage.
Sixxer was auto coupe loaded, so it's heavy in option.
Good point about the gearing and I wonder what he has in his Stang now...
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Watch those ecoboost motors, I've been hearing about lots of issues with these motors and valve carbon buildup. If the induction service doesn't work then the head has to come off and of course the warranty is over by then....reminds me of the spark plugs snapping in half in the 4.6-3v & 5.4 engines.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Redeemer

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Watch those ecoboost motors, I've been hearing about lots of issues with these motors and valve carbon buildup. If the induction service doesn't work then the head has to come off and of course the warranty is over by then....reminds me of the spark plugs snapping in half in the 4.6-3v & 5.4 engines.

Ford Ecoboost Warning Part 2 My Findings - YouTube
I might be able to speak to this a little bit. I currently own a VW GTI. It is 2.0 liter DI turbocharged, which is essentially (correct me if I am wrong) what ecoboost is. The carbon buildup is disgusting, very real, and nearly impossible to prevent. I installed a catch can to minimize the issue, but not eliminate it. Cleaning involves pulling the intake and using a tool made from about 8 zip tie's. Seriously this is what the Audi and VAG dealers use too. To do it in your driveway takes about 10 hours. Good gas doesn't help, fuel injector cleaning additives are worthless because of the design.

The engine makes great power, but now at 132k miles, I've had to disable my tune or I misfire like crazy, even with upgraded coils and plugs.

So take that for what it worth. Good motor, but inherantly dirty. If Ford has found a way to prevent this, hats off to them. That said, if I was in the market for a 4 banger, I would give it a serious look. Personally, I am craving that V8 sound and power, so I will be buying a GT.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah I've heard about this too (From Ford) and no, they haven't found a way to prevent it or to really service it.

Induction cleaning with chemicals is risky at best. Some dealers have started to not do the induction cleaning on the Eco boost motors because if the induction procedure is done correctly, it will most likely fry the turbo.

Reason - On a normal engine when the cleaning agent goes through the intake and valves it will contain all of the garbage in the system as well as added chemicals from the cleaning agent as it goes out the exhaust. This can send shrapnel basically through the exhaust system and the chemicals heat the exhaust way above its normal temps.

The catalyst mesh in the exhaust system has a large enough mesh size to allow the crap through and even a few blocked holes wont affect overall performance. It's also a non moving part so superheating is also not a big deal as long as you don't temperature shock it.

Now, take that superheated chunky exhaust and immediately run it through the turbo which is spinning at thousands of RPM with very tight tolerances compressing that exhaust... your turbo gets red hot and you either warp your impeller, blow the bearing, or it just seizes.

Just google Ecoboost Warning for the most thorough one. Youtube Video... I found this a while back when I was researching the new Mustang.

Last edited by Derf00; 02-05-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Citing source
Old 02-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by daredevil95

Ford Ecoboost Warning Part 2 My Findings - YouTube
I just noticed, your source is the same as mine (same guy just a different vid), ha!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I drove the ecoboost and was none to impressed. I thought my Escape ecoboost had more TQ when you stomped on it.

The new 5.0 sounds nice, but all in all I just don't care for the look of the car.