Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Get premium just for the drive modes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I'm not arguing the issue, but rather I'm confused! What would be the difference between the "Sport + Drive Mode" & just getting a tune on a GT Mustang. I don't get it? I suspect a tune would give more performance than "Sport + Mode" knowing Ford. For the purposes of a "person like myself" who is buying a Mustang GT is for performance, it seems I'd always be driving in "Sport +" Drive Mode or I would be getting a Mustang GT in the 1st place. That's what I bought the GT for! So my question is if I buy a Mustang GT what would be the advantage to me of using one of the other "Drive Modes"? I don't feel I need retarded engine modes for rain or snow! Do the modes affect mileage for traveling? I doubt it! Wouldn't it be easier to just get a tune on the GT & likely have more HP than the Sport + mode? I guess I'm missing something here! It just seems like adjustments to keep the wife from spinning out in rain, snow & ice which isn't a bad idea. That's probably why it defaults to a moderate mode for safety purposes. I wonder how "Drive Modes" affect a "tune"? It seems like it would detune your tune when a moderate "default Drive mode" setting kicks in, which would be OK, .... BUT if a tune was based on a "track + Mode" setting in the computer then what happens when you choose "Track +"? We need to avoid an over tune possibly in advance causing problems like predetonation, etc.??? Maybe you need to choose "Track +" before installing a tune????? It sound like a reason not to buy a Premium for anyone that is going to put a tune on a car! Just say'n!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

The Sport+ and Track mode do not give you any more horsepower, rather they affect the throttle response and various traction parameters. I notice a significant difference in the throttle response between standard and Sport+. I feel it gives you more control over the car as the the engine responds more immediately in the Sport+ mode. More pleasurable to drive, IMO. The Track mode shuts off even more of the traction nannies in the computer, but I believe throttle response is the same as Sport. So getting a tune on a standard GT (without the drive modes) will give you more horsepower, but it won't affect throttle response. A tune with the drive modes would be even more fun!

I think I got that right. Other posters correct me if I'm wrong.

John
Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

Also, I don't think a tune would affect the drive modes or vice versa. It would just give you more HP in general. So as I said above, Sport+ mode with a tune would just be icing on the cake.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Sounds good fellas, thanks for all the responses. I think Premium w/ PP!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Little late here but think of it this way: a tune will give you added hp and whatnot but it will always be the same hp when you get on it in dry vs wet weather etc. With drive modes its all dynamic. You can of course get a tune and add the same amount of hp as non pp stangs but the advantage is being dynamic on the fly with the push of a level. I absolutely love mine!!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

daltron, I don't think you will be disappointed!
Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Redeemer

I will add that yes, the drive modes are pretty awesome. Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges here, but I used to have an 03 Audi A6 and it had a sport mode. It was an automatic, but the only advantage it gave was letting the engine rev higher before shifting. On the mustagd, sport mode gives a noticeable improvement in throttle response, improved feedback from the steering wheel, and a slightly louder exhaust note.

I use sport mode 75% of the time for driving in town, but never on the highway or any lengthy trip. I have tried out track mode, but haven't done anything silly. One nice thing about the ESP is it seems to spare your rubber.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 AM
GAZRNR

I'm interested in asking the same questions as Mr D - if I add a tune does it over write the preprogramed drive modes in the premium cars and negate toggling to sport or track mode? Also, does the car still reset to "normal' drive mode when you shut the car off if the drive modes are still active? I would like to hear from the major tuners on how there tunes work with the drive mode programing. I have seen some dyno tune videos & they show the HP & torque but do not say anything about the drive mode. Is anyone running a tune and experimented with drive modes after installing the tune and could you "feel" any difference?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GAZRNR
I'm interested in asking the same questions as Mr D - if I add a tune does it over write the preprogramed drive modes in the premium cars and negate toggling to sport or track mode? Also, does the car still reset to "normal' drive mode when you shut the car off if the drive modes are still active? I would like to hear from the major tuners on how there tunes work with the drive mode programing. I have seen some dyno tune videos & they show the HP & torque but do not say anything about the drive mode. Is anyone running a tune and experimented with drive modes after installing the tune and could you "feel" any difference?
That would be a good question for a tuner, maybe PM one of the AM guys with a link to this thread, and he could check with the BAMA guys and report back here, otherwise it will be hit or miss for them even looking in this thread.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
That would be a good question for a tuner, maybe PM one of the AM guys with a link to this thread, and he could check with the BAMA guys and report back here, otherwise it will be hit or miss for them even looking in this thread.
AK, see:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/tune...on-a-tune.html

I'm not sure I feel comfortable with the Drive Modes! I want the tune I add, to be the tune set when I start up the car without having to set something with the Drive Modes. Drive Modes sound like another toy to me! Don't need them! I sure am sick of automatic "helper" systems on new cars. They cause me far more irritation than good! We have a Toyota Sienna & it has so many "Mommy Settings for kids" it drives me crazy! Push the wrong button & you can't turn on interior lights or open doors! Stop helping me... Please!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-19-2015 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Get premium just for the drive modes?