Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Get premium just for the drive modes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I don't have drive modes. I don't miss them, but I guess don't really know what I'm missing. If you want better throttle response, get a higher rear gear.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
I don't have drive modes. I don't miss them, but I guess don't really know what I'm missing. If you want better throttle response, get a higher rear gear.
That won't affect the drive by wire parameters, though. Even on the base GT, you have drive modes, you just don't have Track and instead of Sport+ it's Sport. From what I have read you should be able to tell a difference in throttle response between normal and Sport, however.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
That won't affect the drive by wire parameters, though. Even on the base GT, you have drive modes, you just don't have Track and instead of Sport+ it's Sport. From what I have read you should be able to tell a difference in throttle response between normal and Sport, however.
Sport mode in the non premium cars only put the advance Trac into sport mode. It doesn't change any engine parameters like sport+ does.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
Sport mode in the non premium cars only put the advance Trac into sport mode. It doesn't change any engine parameters like sport+ does.
Not engine parameters, throttle response through the drive by wire settings. That's at least what I read here, but I have not driven one myself.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:24 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by daltron

Yes, that is correct. However, I don't need to change the drive-by-wire input / output factors because my foot is connected to my brain and I can change my foot's position instead of paying extra money for the computer to do it for me via electronics. It's a value proposition, and if that little bell or whistle is what you want, go for it. It's difficult to tell if the throttle response is any different in normal and sport because throttle response is more dependent on gear and rpm than it is on throttle position, and the shift points change dramatically between normal and sport.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
Yes, that is correct. However, I don't need to change the drive-by-wire input / output factors because my foot is connected to my brain and I can change my foot's position instead of paying extra money for the computer to do it for me via electronics. It's a value proposition, and if that little bell or whistle is what you want, go for it. It's difficult to tell if the throttle response is any different in normal and sport because throttle response is more dependent on gear and rpm than it is on throttle position, and the shift points change dramatically between normal and sport.
With drive by wire, regardless of your input the computer controls the delay of throttle and how fast it opens. Nothing to do mechanically.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:28 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I haven't noticed any delay in hitting the gas before it goes on the S550. Not like the S197 stock.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

There is a very noticeable difference between the drive modes and not just adjustments to the traction control. The throttle feels very sluggish after driving in sport plus or track mode when using the normal and snow/rain mode, like driving an old 6 cylinder. There is a change in not just throttle response but timing as well. Lets not forget the steering as well. The regular GT only gets the steering selection which is normal, comfort, and sport. The GT Premium still gets the steering adjustment separate from the drive modes so you can have sport plus mode but go with normal steering if that is what you want. Pretty cool.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by topangler25
There is a very noticeable difference between the drive modes and not just adjustments to the traction control. The throttle feels very sluggish after driving in sport plus or track mode when using the normal and snow/rain mode, like driving an old 6 cylinder. There is a change in not just throttle response but timing as well. Lets not forget the steering as well. The regular GT only gets the steering selection which is normal, comfort, and sport. The GT Premium still gets the steering adjustment separate from the drive modes so you can have sport plus mode but go with normal steering if that is what you want. Pretty cool.
The first thing I do every time I start up my GT premium is, putting it in sport+. Very noticeable difference in responsiveness. Sport+ was probably the normal mode but ford decided to dial it back and call it sport+ and track lol. Snow/mode really cuts the power. You really feel it just pulling the clutch out from a dead stop. I don't use that mode though. Don't drive in snow, and it drives just fine in the rain with sport+ or track.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Good info on dyno tuning and makes sense

Quick Reply: Get premium just for the drive modes?