Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Get premium just for the drive modes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Default Get premium just for the drive modes?

I am thinking about getting ordering a 2015 or 2016 Mustang GT with a performance pack, but I read that the selectable drive modes are only available with the Premium package. Is the performance difference that much? Besides the steering feel, what do they really control, just disabling traction control etc?
Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
I am thinking about getting ordering a 2015 or 2016 Mustang GT with a performance pack, but I read that the selectable drive modes are only available with the Premium package. Is the performance difference that much? Besides the steering feel, what do they really control, just disabling traction control etc?
The drive modes actual change engine parameters, such as throttle mapping, along with different ESP/traction settings. Sport+ and track are essentially the same, except track turns everything completely off, while sport+ raises the ESP threshold. It's noticeable. Car feels more lively and instant with the throttle response in sport+ and track. Snow/wet mode does the opposite. It retards the engine a good bit. It's worth it, IMO. The base interior looks great, but the premium is a much nicer place to be.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Would a tune essentially do the same thing?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM
SlimboyMcThuggin

I have the premium and I absolutely love the drive modes. It is what convinced me that going auto over manual is not a bad thing anymore. I live in a traffic filled city so having the ability to get some real power out of my ride without shifting through it all was a win. It is an extreme difference. My wife calls it OH S#!* mode.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
Would a tune essentially do the same thing?
A tune would actually add horsepower as well as more aggressively adjust engine parameters. The drive modes will still work with a tune. Drive a premium car and find out for yourself whether you think the drive modes make a difference or not.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

I could not imagine driving in the rain or letting my wife drive it without the rain mode. Plus the track mode is awesome. It is not a gimmick and does work quite well.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
A tune would actually add horsepower as well as more aggressively adjust engine parameters. The drive modes will still work with a tune. Drive a premium car and find out for yourself whether you think the drive modes make a difference or not.
I'd like to, but the problem is I've never had a manual as a car and I have little manual experience, so I feel a test drive won't do me as much good since I'd be more focused on not destroying the transmission lol.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by topangler25
I could not imagine driving in the rain or letting my wife drive it without the rain mode. Plus the track mode is awesome. It is not a gimmick and does work quite well.
Can you elaborate on the track mode? Throttle feels more responsive?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

So you say you don't drive manual transmission, but are looking at getting the performance package, you can't get them together, and I would rather grind the gears on a dealer owned car, than on one I just spent 35-45 K on.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

daltron, I can't speak to the track mode as I haven't used it yet (no reason to). However, the Sport+ mode is what you want for daily driving. It is much more responsive than the standard mode and makes driving the car much more enjoyable. My biggest complaint with the car, is that the driving mode reverts to the default standard setting upon shutting it off, so every time you start it, you have to switch to Sport+ mode. The more responsive steering mode stays switched on, so no problem there. This new Mustang is such a nice car compared to older ones, I don't know why anyone would not get the Premium version, unless the money is an issue.

Quick Reply: Get premium just for the drive modes?