Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Limiting gt350 was a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Well of course it depends on the metrics used to measure bang for buck, do you want a corner carver, or do you want to feel it push you quickly in a straight line.
If corners are the thing, then slapping a lump of weight on the engine won't help a lot, if going straight, then you won't need the perf pack, except maybe for the bigger radiator to help keep it cool.
But if I could get a GT350 for MSRP, or even up to only 5K over, I'll be on it like white on rice, cause straight lines are boring, and with a minimum of 520 HP it will still pull like hell going down the back straight.
Too bad Carroll didn't get to see it, cause it's Awesome
I think you are exactly right AK. Jay Leno pointed out that the GT 350 felt more like a traditional sports car & he liked it better than the GT 500 even though it had less H.P. I think I am more of a straight line acceleration guy & a completely stock 2015 GT doesn't handle that bad just as is. The brakes seem adequate for one hard stop which is what most need if they are not on the track. So with a performance pack a 2016 GT should handle pretty good. I don't find a lot of places I want to push it around corners, but straight line acceleration can be used getting on freeways, & any place where the road is clear ahead with no side streets. I also want the best ride I can get for everyday driving. I've never driven a GT 350, so if I drove one I might fall in love instantly & break out the check book! Let's hope they are reasonably priced. The flat crank engine sounds really interesting although the 5.0L Coyote is a great engine just as it is. For me it would likely be a win/win choice. My problem is that I hate it when they add a $5 to 8K increase in ball point pen over the MSRP on a basis of low production numbers knowing someone will sign their life away to get it. I think you said they aren't going to restrict production numbers. That would be great, because in my area you cannot get any decent discount on a GT 500 because of the production numbers. If the GT 350's are produced in limited numbers the dealers will hold the buyer up for a lot of money above MSRP. I can afford the price, I just hate to be taken advantage of by a dealer! I'm sure I'm just hard headed, (what a bulletin) but since I want a stock suspension ride, & don't need the other performance upgrades I might just buy a 5.0L GT Premium & add the few extras I want like a supercharger & some vinyl striping, etc. I can work a good price on a regular GT Premium & spend another $9K & have a fast little Mustang running 600 plus H.P. with some vinyl "Bling" to catch the eye............ "OR" just pony up for a GT 350 if I drive one & fall in love which is a definite possibility! Both cars would be a lot of fun! AK, How would you order a GT 350? Any options above the standard GT 350 I'm not aware of that you like? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-17-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
We all get it, Your ideal mustang would be a 5.0L automatic with performance pack and a roushcharger putting out 575hp blah blah blah.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Well once they list what the standard features, and options will be, I would have a much better idea, probably just plain base, unless the magnaride is not stock, then I will have to see how much they want for that.
And I don't see them letting people test drive them, when they hit the dealership, I know they didn't let people drive the GT500, at least not at my area dealerships al four of them.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Well once they list what the standard features, and options will be, I would have a much better idea, probably just plain base, unless the magnaride is not stock, then I will have to see how much they want for that.
And I don't see them letting people test drive them, when they hit the dealership, I know they didn't let people drive the GT500, at least not at my area dealerships al four of them.
I suspect driving them comes down to whether they think you are buying or looking. I've driven GT 500's wanting to see what the ride was like. I'm sure they try to keep the test drives down. People that test drive a GT 350/500 are likely going to put their foot in it WOT. The salesmen with me were worried I'd stack it up if I put my foot in it. Especially with supercharged cars because they come on hard at a certain rpm, not as gradually as a naturally aspirated engine. Not too hard with that H.P. to get into trouble. I wouldn't like buying those model cars with 400 test miles on it. Break in periods aren't much of a thing now, but still it would worry me having a bunch of kidsdoing the WOT thing. When I order a Mustang, nobody test drives it! When I sold my supercharged 4.6L I wouldn't let a buyer run it WOT. I ran it hard for the guy who bought it & kept saying, that's fine, that's fine, I can see it has power! 30 to 90 miles per hour is just a flash in these cars & you close on cars in front of you very quickly!

So what are you doing on the computer on Sunday AK?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:12 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Oh just killing time till I go ride my dirt dike.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Oh just killing time till I go ride my dirt dike.
Another thing we have in common. I raced dirt bikes for decades. My son has my last one. What's your guess on the MSRP on the GT 350? It sounds like more car than a GT 500. At my age, I'm thinking I probably should get into an automatic. I don't have any driving problems at all, but I think an automatic stretchs out how long seniors can drive safely, & also my wife likes hot rods, etc. but feels more comfortable with an automatic, & automatics are much better today. If the GT 350 had a double clutched automatic I might just buy one, but I suspect that transmission would put the price through the roof.