Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Downsides to Performance Pack?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyB15GT
If you are never going to the track, maybe the PP is not for you. If you are more of a "hardcore" performance junkie, get the PP. As one who was never bothered by a stiff ride, I do not find the PP 2015 objectionable. Yes, it is stiffer than the standard suspension, but I think the performance benefits outweigh the stiffer ride. Again, I was never bothered by a stiff suspension, and actually welcomed it, as it usually meant a better handling vehicle.
The PP Package must make a Mustang handle great because the standard GT handles pretty good. I suspect with a set of Bilstein Shocks I'd be pretty happy. The 5.0L performs about as good as my 4.6L did with a Roush Supercharger. It obviously had much more torque off the line, but possibly not quite as quick from 40 to 80, but honestly it's hard to compare when your more worried about your driving when comparing the cars.

I suspect it is kind of overkill to put a supercharger on a GT because they run pretty quick as they are. I think maybe I have to admit I just want something the next guy doesn't have, & superchargers seem to have no downside except the initial cost. I can't understand why Ford doesn't offer them with the PP Package & some sexy badging at about a $14K option & sell as many as people will buy. I guess it would hurt Shelby sales big time! It turns me off that in my area you can't get a decent price on a Shelby because there is usually a "lay down" that will pay near list price for the few Shelbys available at the dealers. Besides I'd have to redo the suspension back towards stock for a more comfortable ride. LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-03-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Remember rent each for a weekend, GT regular, GT premium, and just for Shi*z and giggles, a GT premium with PP.
He He He I said PP!
But I didn't say duty, ooops he he he I said duty!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:29 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

D. almost forgot whatever you do it sounds like it will be Awesome if not Epic!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:52 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Can't comment on the '15 but can on a '14 GT w/the TP. I drove both a base suspension model GT & a TP equipped unit. Coming from an '08 Bullitt, I wanted an uprated suspension package. I would offer that the base suspension/braking package easily matched the Bullitt's handling/braking. It was comfortable & offered more than acceptable performance for daily driving; can't say about more spirited or track driving.

I, however, wanted the 3.73 rear end, but I later discovered that- IMHO- is a bit over the top w/the 5.0 engine. On the 4.6l engine, the 3.73 was a great complementary piece but in the 5.0 I think it's overkill. A 3.55 would be more than sufficient for my purposes.

The TP system did nothing to take away from the driving pleasure of the car; the ride was no more harsh than the stock system and yet it handled corners and such w/much greater authority, granting the driver- me- more confidence in doing so. And the Brembo brakes are one step short of amazing. I did not find the TP too stiff at all. If anything, it's added to the driving pleasure. And I later added a set of Steeda Sport springs to lower it a bit- strictly for appearance sake, mind you- and even those did not drastically affect ride comfort.

For me, it was cheaper/easier to purchase a '14 GT w/the TP than spend the time & $$ to get the suspension done by an aftermarket company & I've got zero regrets about doing so.
Lee
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
D. almost forgot whatever you do it sounds like it will be Awesome if not Epic!
Well at 73 just doing anything at all is epic! Try to put up with my ramblings!

My aversion to some of the more expensive packages is to avoid the costs of things I never use like satellite radio, etc. It seems like hard to avoid those packages because there is something you like in them. I miss the old days when you could order individual options instead of packages.

Thanx for the replies!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-03-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE]My aversion to some of the more expensive packages is to avoid the costs of things I never use like satellite radio, etc. It seems like hard to avoid those packages because there is something you like in them. I miss the old days when you could order individual options instead of packages.[QUOTE]

Mr. D, I agree with you. I didn't get the seat memory because it was packaged with blind spot warning system and the upgrade stereo. I do use satellite radio, but only a handful of stations so I wish I could pay by the station!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

I drove a regular GT while I waited for mine to get to the dealership. Not that much worse of a ride at all. The rear axle ratio and the brakes are the best part of it. With the GT you get some chatter from the clutches in the rear end but with the Torsen there are no clutches. The brakes.... should not need to say more about the brakes.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

If you break it down for the pp cost and what you get its by FAR cheaper to buy the package vs adding a few of the options later aftermarket.

3.73's from Ford installed and warrented is a huge plus.

6 piston brembos with 15" front rotors cost as much as, if not more, than the entire pp!!! (installation not counted)

Larger radiator = better cooling

Larger sway bars for better handling

Larger and better looking front bumper and chin splitter

Selectable drive modes is another huge plus. Rain / snow mode may just save you from an accident and well thats just priceless
Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Air pressure makes a difference in ride comfort. My PP car came home from the dealer with 41 lbs in the tires. I thought it rode a bit rough but I'm kind of used to it with my other vehicles. In 2 places on the car it specifies 32 lbs at all 4 corners. I adjusted accordingly and it rides way better. Tires when cold read 32 on my dash monitor and go up by a 2 psi after driving for a while.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:02 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Down sides. More shifting with the 3.73s. Ride will be stiffer. Up side a lot of bang for the buck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downsides to Performance Pack?