Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Oil Change?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 AM
Thomv

Default Oil Change?

Just hit 3,000 miles. Is it time for an oil and filter change or is that too soon? Should I go with full synthetic or a synthetic blend?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I usually do my first change a little sooner than that,but I think 3k would be fine and timely.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 PM
buckethead2

I'd go full synthetic. As for the oil filter you'll get about 500 different answers. On my Focus and F150 I use Motorcraft filters.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM
iigneb

The dealer told me 7,500 miles.... I was told from someone who actually knew what they were talking about for the engine break-in go around 3,000.

Which leads into my next question, he said to run a 5w30 opposed to the 5w20, and the only reason Ford Runs a 520 in this engine was to meet some standard by ford, I cant remember specifically but something relating to how the car is going global, fuel economy, epa, Ect.. . Is any one running different oil weight than factory?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:00 PM
SOTX

Default Oil Change?

The dealership told me there was no "break-in period and when the light came on to change the oil?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM
iigneb

Everyone has there own opinion on a break in, but I would never wait the scheduled 7,500 miles for the FIRST oil change at least. The only person at the dealership that's worth talking to (for the most part) is a mechanic. Service adviser's even the service managers usually don't know anything too in depth about cars. They're essentially sales people for service's and go by the book, which for the mustang is 7,500 Miles.

When I was younger I used to work as a porter at a chevy dealer. One time the service adviser sold a tire rotation on a corvette... The wheels on corvettes are staggered, it was on a C5, 19's on the back 18's up front making a rotation impossible.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Open the glovebox. inside is a book that says 2015 mustang service manual. READ IT!

If the car is stock or close to it, then follow what ford says for oil changes, this isnt rocket science people its a freaking mass produced car.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yuh, I don't usually wait more than 1K for the first oil change. You never know what is floating around in their from the assembly line.

After the first oil change i'll go 5K between oil changes with Semi Synth and maybe 6500 to 7K with full syn in normal season. Heat kills oil so here in AZ 5K in blazing temps is about as far as I'll push it with any oil.

Nope, it's not rocket science but with all wear and use specs on a car including MPG and maintenance cycles, they are in IDEAL conditions aka LAB environment so take them with a grain of salt.

According to the manual on domestic cars, they don't even mention life expectancy or a maintence schedule for Brake Fluid and Power Steering fluid yet you bet your butt they have a life.

Don't forget that Ford is also the one that decided to make a sealed for life auto tranny (5r55S) that ALL mustangs, explorers, and F150's have from 2005 up to 2009+... Oh and the same engineers came up with the brilliant 2-piece spark plug design of the 4.6 and 5.4L engines...I can go on but I think I made my point

And Op, I think in 2010 all mustangs started coming with Semi Syn from the factory so it's not an upgrade.

Last edited by Derf00; 08-07-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

My manual states when to service the auto trans, so it must not be too sealed up. Plus they had to get the fluid in there somehow at the correct level. Just cause it doesnt have a dipstick doesnt mean its "sealed" Also, not ALL mustangs, explorers, and f150s came with the 5r55s auto trans unless I got the only manual trans mustang produced from 05+.

As long as the car is under warranty, why would you deviate any from the recommended service intervals. You are just wasting money changing the oil early, especially if the car came with synthetic or synthetic blend.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:37 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
My manual states when to service the auto trans, so it must not be too sealed up. Plus they had to get the fluid in there somehow at the correct level. Just cause it doesnt have a dipstick doesnt mean its "sealed" Also, not ALL mustangs, explorers, and f150s came with the 5r55s auto trans unless I got the only manual trans mustang produced from 05+.

As long as the car is under warranty, why would you deviate any from the recommended service intervals. You are just wasting money changing the oil early, especially if the car came with synthetic or synthetic blend.
You must be new. Don't you know that everybody on the internet knows everything, especially car people?
FWIW, I agree with you 100%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change?