The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

05-2010 mustang vs 04-06 gto

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by mustangcat
[IMG]
-Modability goe's to the Mustang. There's what, 10+ companies that make superchargers for Mustangs? That alone is evidence enough.
-Gas mileage(something you'll want when gas hits $4 again) the Mustang is light years ahead of the GTO. GTO highway = 19mpg. Mustang highway = 24mpg.

For me it's a clear cut win for the Mustang.

Only 19 mpg highway from a GTO? (where did you get that number?) Did you forget what motor(s) the GTO has?

Modability is a draw. While several companies make superchargers for the Mustang, several companies make HCI combo's for the LSx motors....which one would you rather have?

Last edited by 99GTvert; 06-13-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:25 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Only 19 mpg highway from a GTO? (where did you get that number?) Did you forget what motor(s) the GTO has?

Modability is a draw. While several companies make superchargers for the Mustang, several companies make HCI combo's for the LSx motors....which one would you rather have?

KBB says 21
Edmunds says 19
Carsdirect says 21
Automedia says 20
fueleconomy.gov says 19
fueleconomydb says 19
consumerautoguide says 18
ecomodder says 21

Whats your source, friend of a friend? Did you forget what motors the GTO has?

Between a H/C/I car and a blower car...Simple, blower car. With the H/C/I more aggressive tuning is needed to gain that extra HP. With a blower car one could just swap pulley/tune for a jump in power, not to mention bolt ons would have a much more profound effect after adding a blower.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Jekyl n Hyde
1st Gear Member

First...i drive mine HARD and I GET: Highway- 24-25 mpg (at 85 mph or so) all day long...around town, unless i am really ripping on it...18 usually but that is with the 6 speed...auto is not as good.

Mustang handling is not far superior to the GTO. The GTO has much...much nicer interior from all accounts. The sleeper appearance is true...but i but i get as many parking lot compliments as a mustang driver...maybe more since that are only a few in town...compared to a mustang on every other corner. Not a slam on Mustangs...they are obviously popular.

It weigh a little more (3750 or so) and the mustang is maybe 34-3500?

You have to dump the stock shifter too...it is really crap...a good short throw shifter...makes a BIG difference. The t56 Tremec close ratio tranny is great (IMO).

Biggest drawback is traction with the GTO...it is hard to get get enuf tire stuffed under the fenders. 400 hp/400 ft/lbs of torque with relatively skinny tires. Traction is always a challenge.

Last edited by Jekyl n Hyde; 06-13-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

KBB says 21
Edmunds says 19
Carsdirect says 21
Automedia says 20
fueleconomy.gov says 19
fueleconomydb says 19
consumerautoguide says 18
ecomodder says 21

Whats your source, friend of a friend? Did you forget what motors the GTO has?

Between a H/C/I car and a blower car...Simple, blower car. With the H/C/I more aggressive tuning is needed to gain that extra HP. With a blower car one could just swap pulley/tune for a jump in power, not to mention bolt ons would have a much more profound effect after adding a blower.
Which would you rather get info from, actual GTO owners or EPA estimates?

Did you forget what motors the GTO has?

Isn't a different tune needed anyway when adding either S/C or HCI to a motor?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM
mustangcat

Which would you rather get info from, actual GTO owners or EPA estimates?

Isn't a different tune needed anyway when adding either S/C or HCI to a motor?
The people that don't have LS-itis, the car companies!

I'd think so, maybe there's a HCI combo that doesn't require a tune, kind of like the Stage 2 Hitech cams combined with H/I. But I'm not educated enough on the subject to know..
Old 06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The people that don't have LS-itis, the car companies!

I'd think so, maybe there's a HCI combo that doesn't require a tune, kind of like the Stage 2 Hitech cams combined with H/I. But I'm not educated enough on the subject to know..
Real world, exact results from actual GTO owners don't mean anything to you? They won't get hybrid car MPG, but I'm very doubtful the auto LS2 only gets 19 mpg on the freeway.

You misunderstood the tune part. Every HCI combo/blower will require a tune. After that, for maximum power benefit, every bolt on added will also require a tune. You mentioned S/C motors just need a pulley swap to get more power. That's true, but why not do it right the first time and go big (or go home), especially considering the money spent on either power adder?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 PM
mustangcat

Real world, exact results from actual GTO owners don't mean anything to you? They won't get hybrid car MPG, but I'm very doubtful the auto LS2 only gets 19 mpg on the freeway.

You misunderstood the tune part. Every HCI combo/blower will require a tune. After that, for maximum power benefit, every bolt on added will also require a tune. You mentioned S/C motors just need a pulley swap to get more power. That's true, but why not do it right the first time and go big (or go home), especially considering the money spent on either power adder?
Your correct. 19 is low, I'll say 21 is fair. Not quite the 25mpg that GTO owners are quoting, but close enough.

Well, a lot of S/C owners might go for a "conservative" tune/pulley the first time through. Maybe out of fear of blowing a rod and hurting their "baby", maybe out of expenses. Meh. I wouldn't know.

P.S. Did you forget what motors the GTO has?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I got to agree with '99, if you are getting 19mpg on the highway with an LS series motor turning the low RPM's they do on the freeway, then take it back GM!! I know Vette owners that see 30mpg with their LS2's, I know goats are 500lbs heavier but come on!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

mustangcat please shut up....you don't know anything about the GTO or LS motors and how they work...your car doesn't stand a chance in hell against 1 why bash it?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I have had 2 GTOs. One was an automatic, one was a 6 speed, both were LS1s. The automatic got 21 mpg hwy, the 6 speed got 27 mpg hwy. Those are real world figures that I experienced. I'm sure the LS2 produces similar gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 05-2010 mustang vs 04-06 gto