The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Drifting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 AM
kimlightningmcnulty

Default Drifting question

Hi everyone,

its not really a technical question but not sure where else to post, anyway, i've recently got here from England and i want to buy a 99 - 04 gt to go drifting in, i was going to use a 240 but wanted something different, and i was just wondering if anyone else here has done so and what they think of the cars capabilities stock,
also if anyone has used one for drifting maybe you could point me in a good direction for the first mods i should be doing and what else you guys recommend.

thanks very much

kim
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Your not going to find any drifters on this site.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Buy a fc (2nd gen) rx7 they are cheap with the engine blown.Go to http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/ get there v8 kit and straight axle kit rest is up to you.Or a v8 miata but you'll have to swap the irs to a thunderbirds or it won't last long.Short answer a gto is too pricey to smash in to a wall isn't it.Your going to wreck so use a car you don't care you total.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
bs46488
1st Gear Member

There is an article in this month's Modifed Mustang & Ford magazine about drifting.

But I agree with JD1969, I have never seen any Mustang drifters on this site.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

we have a stang at our local events.

I recommend you get a 240 to learn the basics of drifting. After doing it for some time, (years not days) and once you understand the physics of drifting as well as your cars limits and capabilities, then move on to other cars.

FCs are not the best choice for beginners. The weight balance is 50/50 and the stock NA or turbo 13b rotary is a torqueless waste of time. FCs are great for autocross and grip, but much modding is needed to make it worth your efforts to drift it. The 240 offers better weight distribution, IRS and a decent powerplant under the hood to keep you busy for quite some time.

Mustangs are prone to massive understeer due to the weight distribution and locking the tires up in the rear while controlling them is a pain with the live axle set up. New suspension set up, subframe bushings, control arms, tie rods etc will all need to be redone on the car in order to compensate for its bullheaded nature.

As for other options of course the AE86 toyota corolla obvious choice. The toyota Mx73 is yet another good choice for beginners. But as i stated, i highly recommend getting a 240 and learning all you can with that car and eventually start modding it and perhaps even moving on to another car choice once your skill level has hightened

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Buy a fc (2nd gen) rx7 they are cheap with the engine blown.Go to http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/ get there v8 kit and straight axle kit rest is up to you.Or a v8 miata but you'll have to swap the irs to a thunderbirds or it won't last long.Short answer a gto is too pricey to smash in to a wall isn't it.Your going to wreck so use a car you don't care you total.
Ls1 rx7s, while damn cool, are not ideal for a beginner. Nor a miata with its short length and wheel base. The v8 rx7s are great cause it changes the weight distribution and the overall power of the car, but that much power in such a light chassis makes the car very front heavy. Would take alot of getting used to for a beginner and wouldnt offer him a decent learning curve to build his foundation.

If you TRULY want a V8 drift car, use a 240 and swap in an LS1. Many kits available for this conversion. It will be a bitch to get used to much like the v8 rx7, but it will start you out on a much more forgiving skill level requirement.

Visit silviav8.com

Hope i helped.

Adam

Last edited by guitarist4life; 10-09-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I recomend you get a SRT-4 for drifting.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I recomend you get a SRT-4 for drifting.
How did I know you would say that?

I just saw this thread, and before I even read on, I thought of you and your SRT-4.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

Do you live in San Francisco by any chance? Drifting is probably very popular there and therefore you may be able to find a helpful local forum.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

I would use an old RWD car for practice at a track then move up, that way if u mess up it be bad mess up just my 2 cents...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Personally I'd suggest a 240 with an SR20DET, but that's just me. Like a few people said, I'm almost positive you won't find anybody with any real drift experiance here.

Quick Reply: Drifting question