The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

At what RPM do I launch my car street racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Default At what RPM do I launch my car street racing?

I have thought about posting this question for a couple days now because I hate stupid redundant threads but here it goes....

So, I love street racing. The rush of it gets me going. With that said, I have regular street tires with decent thread left. At what rpm should I launch my car? Of course, after warming up the tires really good. I have an 04gt motor in an 96 gt body with full catless exhaust. As far as suspension, I only have a 1.75'' drop with eibach springs on 17'' 96 stock cobra alloy wheels.

I was thinking I should launch my car @ 3k max and then just sort of feather the gas pedal until I feel the car grip and continue onto the powershift into second gear.

let me know what you guys think so I practice. I got this guy I wanna race in a week...haha

Last edited by nascrchi; 12-31-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: At what RPM do I launch my car street racing?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

i think you need to prctice with your own car because there all different with tires and suspention, but i think you should be between 2500 and 3k but i would just try and practice to see what your car does best at
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Street racing should only be done from a roll. 40-120 is how we race around here. Street racing from a dig is not only obvisously to anyone who see's you its just not how its done. Unless your shooting film for fast and furious or something. You would get laughed out if you came up to my group of guys and said you wanted to street race from a dig, it doesn't happen around here. And we do a lot of street racing with a lot of high HP cars.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

best bet, get out there and practice, every car is different as in every road is.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

get drag radials.........................
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by dennis_112
Street racing should only be done from a roll. 40-120 is how we race around here. Street racing from a dig is not only obvisously to anyone who see's you its just not how its done. Unless your shooting film for fast and furious or something. You would get laughed out if you came up to my group of guys and said you wanted to street race from a dig, it doesn't happen around here. And we do a lot of street racing with a lot of high HP cars.
you HAVE GOT to be kidding me right now...

you might as well say "I hang out with a bunch of guys that can't setup their car to get traction or drive worth a crap"

if a group of guys laughed at me for wanting to race from a stop, I'd laugh right back and ask them if they sucked that bad at driving or are they just scared because they don't know how to properly setup a fast car to put down it's power... odds are I'd get my dig race

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 12-31-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

OP, the worst thing you can do is warm-up your street tires. Don't do it. Not to mention the public asphalt will absolutely shred your tires. The track isn't as hard on them since your tires move the rubber underneath it that is stuck on the track instead of ripping the tread off. Heating up a street tire makes them grip less. They work best at operating temps, basically drive around on them for 10-15 mins and you're good to go. As far as launching your car, just find that RPM that works best for you. Don't over rev it too much or let out on the clutch too quick. You want it to be right before spinning. Try to focus on keeping the nose of the car up as much as you can. If it starts to drop, then you are either losing traction or bogging down. Focusing on the front end of the car works best for me, but everyone's different. Good luck man and be careful.

Last edited by Stone629; 12-31-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dennis_112
Funny you mention fast & furious and roll racing. It's usally the import, front drive pussies that want to roll race. Please never give this kind of advice again in this section. Roll racing is fun but there is absolutely no skill involved. It's just speeding next to another guy that cant launch their car for ****! Now moving on to the original question. For the street I'd Start at 2500RPMs in a rear drive car and work my way up in the RPMs til the tires spin. Or you could just go to the strip with a set of slicks and drop the hammer at 5000RPMs like I do.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 12-31-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

I street race and have for a long time. Its done from a roll or not done at all around here. I dont live in the middle of no where like some of you hicks. Around here people actually drive on the highways so trust me you would look retarded stopping on the damn road to race. We arent your usual bunch of dumb high school kids. I am talking people bringing in cars on trailers that arent street legal. This is highly organized. I dont need or want anyone here's respect, but IMO, and I entitled to one. Drag racing is from a dig, Street Racing is from a roll end of story. Look into Ohio street racing and you would understand. Jegs HQ in Ohio, Summit HQ in Ohio, Fox Lake in Ohio, MPH in Ohio, Modular Depot 10 mins outside of Ohio, Cincy Speed in Ohio, Numerous NHRA, IHRA tracks, racing isnt a joke here. It has nothing to do with driver skill its how its done here if you dont like it you dont race.

Last edited by dennis_112; 12-31-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Sorry dumbass but street racing just means your racing on a public street. Either from a dig or a roll. Nothing more or nothing less. Sorry for taking a poo on your deep thought process.

Quick Reply: At what RPM do I launch my car street racing?