The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

The Official DA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300F150
Exactly theoretical, not fact. So using it as a absolute wont work, just run the car and see what it does. Makes life much more simple. Just my opinion.
Well then you might as well throw all SAE corrected HP numbers out the window too. lol

So now how are you gonna keep track of how much someones engine really makes?

If I was [insert automaker here] I would go to the lowest elevation area in the world on the coldest day of the year and have -10,000 DA and get ridiculously high numbers for my motors. While [insert other automaker here] might try to play fair and by the rules and make far less hp at a more realistic DA. Yet when you bring the 2 together in the real world.. the higher rated HP engine is actually weaker.

But that's ok... let's just throw corrections out the window and wing it ;-)
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Thanks for agreeing azcarzt, and some real world performance #s to show people. I don't believe its 100% accurate, and I know you don't either.. I figure it gives you a ballpark figure, the smaller the correction the closer it likely will be.... which is why I wouldn't bet I could ever do a 12.7.. but a 12.9? yeah... I don't think that us unreasonable and if i do ever run it with my current mods would atleast show the elevation correctoin works.

btw.. NHRA does accept Elevation correction..

300F150, are you a frequent track goer? what are your times and what track do you run at?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

The driver mod is way too underrated. Acartz, IMO you ran a better time because you drove it better. I guarantee you that you will do even better next time you go. I have dropped my ET little by little each trip, on both my cars and the cars I've had in the past. I ran a 13.1 at 107.7 on a hot-*** 90-some degree day and a 13.0 at 108 on a cool dry day. The car did seem to be bogging more on the cooler day, but I'm thinking at this point it was my error. After discussing the issue, going over video, and thinking about it, it looks like I was simply getting off the clutch too quickly and letting the RPM drop too low, all this due to the awesome track prep that day. Not saying air doesn't effect engines, it does.... I just think more credit/discredit should be given to the driver mod rather than DA.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

I know it wasn't better driving because the very first run I did, I granny shift and drove very mild, 3k launch an all and I was still able to run a 13.4 which is 2 tenths faster than my previous best driving it like a mad man lol Then When I drove it like a mad man that night I pulled my 13.2.

On an other note. I've been looking at some dyno's of similarly modded cars and i'm thinking all the torque is right around 4500. I'm gonna try launching at that RPM next time. Gonna try a clutch drop too at a lower RPM just for ****s and gigs to see what happens lol Maybe just a quick release? Or quicker than I normally do.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Most of my torque is around 4500 as well. The dyno sheet is posted up on cardomain under "esthercamaro" if you want to check it out. Its my cousins page, but he has all my mess posted there as well.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 PM
willys srt8
2nd Gear Member

we use DA alot in aviation, especially in helis.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ****** srt8
we use DA alot in aviation, especially in helis.
Can't it affect your altimeter? Or am I talking nonsense, lol? Seems like I heard that somewhere.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Holy god this thread is still alive...Someone kill it please!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I'm not standing up for mishri, because its fun watching him stir up ****.....but our track here is at about the same elevation as his, and his times would be very good here for a lite bolt on s197

For example I was racing last year, and there was a ford gt (I know not a drag car but still) that had a hell of a time breaking out of the 13's. The only cars that seem to excel are turbo cars and nitrous cars
Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
300F150
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Thanks for agreeing azcarzt, and some real world performance #s to show people. I don't believe its 100% accurate, and I know you don't either.. I figure it gives you a ballpark figure, the smaller the correction the closer it likely will be.... which is why I wouldn't bet I could ever do a 12.7.. but a 12.9? yeah... I don't think that us unreasonable and if i do ever run it with my current mods would atleast show the elevation correctoin works.

btw.. NHRA does accept Elevation correction..

300F150, are you a frequent track goer? what are your times and what track do you run at?
Yeah I grew up in Medicine Hat, spent alot of time out at the track their growing up... I used to own a 82 280zx all stock, it was slow as hell 16.9 at 80MPH it was a good sports car that a kid in high school would not kill himself in(still gotten close though). Have not taken my mustang out because of school, but lets just say my 5.0 may not be fast, but its an upgrade.

But the thing is when your at a track do you really ask people what their DA correction is? Im all for comparisons and setting a basis for comparison. But their is a limit to how you can use it to judge your car...

Quick Reply: The Official DA Thread