The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

The Official DA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Just did a DA/Elevation correction on my poor poor time in my Cobra.

We all know, since Mishri is a little **** **** girl, and can't break 12's without an electronic tool telling him can, I figure I will play into his little lonely game.

My 12.44 @ 117 is actually a 12.1 @ 119. So, I must admit, I lied everyone.

I am a better driver than John Force, and at the time, I had a SPEC 13 Clutch and a Titanium flywheel, with 12 inch skinnies, and 435 wide slicks. I ran the best time of my life that day. Makes me cry knowing my car ran so well that day.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I'm only running 14.1's up here at around 6000' DA. So, I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks to run in some better air. That track is only at 1900'....much better than 5000' here in Salt Lake. Had to buy a helmet (cuz I know I'll run quicker than 13.99) and rent a room for 2 days, but it's worth it. That's how bad I want to run a real 13. I'll be hunting for some new Camaros and SRT 8's. Hopefully I'll come back "STILL" undefeated (against those 2 anyways)

I've driven my car in Vegas and at sea level in California....there is a huge difference....more than the tune and gears.

It seems the only people that understand altitude and DA are the guys who live in it. Anyways, hope to update my personal best.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Bring us back a vid of your 13 second run, Grampa.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep grampa.. seems that some people know.. the less experienced people seem to not know or understand though.... good luck there in vegas..

You know.. I only added that bottom line to my sig after ppl gave me crap about my dyno and 1/4 mile times.... I thought it would help educate some people.. and I think some are.. others... I haven't figured out what their problems are...

So far the 2 ppl that come to mind are Morbid and Grabber who are really out spoken against elevation issues.. and then a few others seem to doubt it's effect.. but realize there is an effect.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-11-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Look, DA showed up on 50 Magazine lol

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...upe_specs.html

Top Gear just did a bit Season 14 ep 6 and they mention DA and it's effects on motors too.

Go figure... I guess it's not just a hand full of us here on MF.com

*edit*
On top gear they took 3 cars up to 17,000ft elevation and they could barely start the cars lol... They started driving back down and suddenly the cars were working great lol...
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

at 9,000ft we had some carburated cars not able to start. if they were newer cars they are supposed to compensate for the lack of air.. but 17k feet is crazy high up there.. i lived in a town at 7500ft, cars used to "break down" all the time up there.. especially before fuel injection..
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
300F150
1st Gear Member

air is more dense at lower elevations, so yeah you will run faster at lower elevations... but not to the effect you think. Corrections are stupid, when are you ever really going to have a 100% perfect conditions? you can say this is what my car might run, but if you cant get their yourself what is the point of saying it? Its just a mustang, not some high tech rocket, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Yea, it was pretty wild. Not to mention the effects it was having on their bodies too.

They were stating that it was very hard to breath and they felt light headed. They said it was like being drunk but it wasn't fun lol
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300F150
air is more dense at lower elevations, so yeah you will run faster at lower elevations... but not to the effect you think. Corrections are stupid, when are you ever really going to have a 100% perfect conditions? you can say this is what my car might run, but if you cant get their yourself what is the point of saying it? Its just a mustang, not some high tech rocket, it doesn't matter.
The reasons will be different per person. I listed a DA corrected time of 13.3 when I had run a 13.6 at 1850DA. Then I was able to run in better than 0DA conditions, and I ran a 13.2. So I WAS able to run in the conditions it was correcting for. And I did better than it said I would. So for me, it was a goal. And I've acheived it. For others, it is sort of a representation of their car's real potential. And it makes more sense to compare 2 DA corrected times than 2 uncorrected times. Just like it makes more sense to compare 2 SAE corrected hp ratings vs uncorrected.

You can have 2 identical cars make 500hp at 1 elevation and then 400 hp at an other elevation. Then it goes and runs a 11.0 at the first elevation and then a 12.0 at the second elavation... This makes it seem like car 1 is much faster than car 2, when in fact they would be identical if they met on equal terms. Both of their corrected times and numbers(if the calculations were 100% accurate) would be the same. So it would make more sense to compare the corrected numbers.

If corrections were unimportant... then what would be the point of SAE corrections? And industry standard... obviously it's there for a reason. It's to make a comparison on theoretically common grounds.

Last edited by acarzt; 03-11-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
300F150
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
If corrections were unimportant... then what would be the point of SAE corrections? And industry standard... obviously it's there for a reason. It's to make a comparison on theoretically common grounds.
Exactly theoretical, not fact. So using it as a absolute wont work, just run the car and see what it does. Makes life much more simple. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: The Official DA Thread