The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

My LT1 vs Cobalt SS T/C

Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I wouldn't get the LS4 TB, it really effects the drivability.. Unfortunately there isn't much aftermarket for the SS/SC like TB, cams, etc. Honestly after owning one I would just leave it like it is and just save the money to turbo swap it or whatever.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Honestly, it'll probably never get modded very heavily. I might just get it tuned and leave it how it is, so it's a nice affordable DD that's still fun. Then, once I get another job, where I make more money, keep it as a DD and get another fun V8 to mod the hell out of. I'll probably end up buying the good ole LT1 back from my dad sometime, after I get a new job, and that'll become the race car. lol. I've got all these ideas that I want to do to the Cobalt. But, it'll probably just end up becoming a headache if I get too far into it, like the Trans Am has been.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

What has been your biggest headache with the TA? Has it sold yet?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-...dynoed-236467/
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
What has been your biggest headache with the TA? Has it sold yet?
My biggest headache has mostly been fuel issues. I think I may have found out why I was having fuel issues though. I swapped out the pump finally lastnight, after having the new one around for about a month. The part numbers from the new pump and the one that was in it didn't match up. Searched a little, and found out the one that was in it, is listed only for 99-02's. And I know that the tank and everything inside it is different from the 98's and the 99-02's. So, I don't know if it runs at a different voltage, or pressure, or what. But, that's probably why I fried the power wire in the tank a while back and had to replace it, and have been having fuel pressure issues up top for so long. A lot of companies say that the pumps are universal for 82-02, but after searching the part numbers separately, and finding some ebay auctions, it was saying that the TRE-344 that was in the car, is only compatible on 99-02's, and the TRE-343 that I put in is compatable for 98's, but not 99-02's. I looked on TRE's site, and they don't even come up with anything searching for TRE-344, but the TRE-343 comes up as the universal 255lph pump for 82-02 Fbodies and Vettes. I think fuel pump issues is pretty much all I've had with the car. But, it's been such a PITA and has left me stranded in so many places before, that I just don't want to deal with the car anymore. Not to mention, cam surge is a major pain in the car. Might be better with a tune, but I just miss having a nice smooth running car for a DD. And it hasn't sold yet, it's getting traded for the Cobalt. I'm sure I'll miss the car, but I'm not going to miss the money that it drained out of my bank account. lol
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
Looks like a pretty sweet setup. I might look into it a little more when it gets nicer out, and I have some more money built up to do anything, if I feel like doing that much to it. lol
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you got the fuel issue figured out, so its good now? I got your friend request and watched a few of your vids. It would be hard for me to part with a car like that. Too bad you can't hang on to it and still get the Cobalt.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 AM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Really low numbers in the link...
Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
Really low numbers in the link...
It looks like he just had a low reading dyno, and apparently his header/DP combo was holding him back a little bit. Doesn't really seem like it was too bad of a gain for the price he paid for it all.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Sounds like you got the fuel issue figured out, so its good now? I got your friend request and watched a few of your vids. It would be hard for me to part with a car like that. Too bad you can't hang on to it and still get the Cobalt.
The fuel issue should be fine now, but, I haven't really had a chance to drive it and spin the motor up that high with the weather we're having around here. I'd love to keep the T/A too. But, with the payment I have on it and how far the car is from perfect, I'm just tired of messing with it. I just can't really afford to keep going with it. Plus, it's not really all that DD-friendly. H/C cars are fun, but a PITA to drive sometimes. I just want to get a more affordable car that's going to start saving me money, instead of taking all of it, so I can actually start saving money for things that are going to matter more in the future. Can't live in my parents house forever. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My LT1 vs Cobalt SS T/C