The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Heading to the track in a week.. What do you think I'll run??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Question Heading to the track in a week.. What do you think I'll run??

the last time i went to the track, i ran a 13.186 @ 107.27 with a 2.063 60' time launching at about 2500rpms having to shift to 4th at the end of the quarter. that was with all of the same mods i have now, but with the stock 18x8 wheels and 235/50/18 pirelli pzero nero all seasons in the rear at about 25psi.

now i have 18x10 american muscle stock style wheels (a little heavier than the stock wheels) and 295/40/18 falken azenis rt615 rear tires and ill be updating the tune to 6800rpm redline (it was already set there, but i lowered it to 6500). 6800 should allow me to run the whole thing in 3rd gear.

so what do you think i will run? I'm going to still have full interior and everything in the car like last time. and use the same tune as last time (might try the race tune a couple runs, but we'll see).

im hoping for 12s, but idk if these tires will get me 1.9x 60' times i would need. they are primarily a road racing/auto-x tire with stiff sidewalls, which is the opposite of what you want for drag racing. but they do have a good amount of sidewall, so idk. then theres the additional ~5lbs per rear wheel which will play a small factor too.

what do you guys think?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm gonna go on a limb and say you're gonna see about the same times.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
think so?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I think the same, or slower. Two reasons for slower, 1. heavier wheels, 2. you're going to have to learn what those wheels/tires do and don't like, which will take trial and error.

If you figure it out in the first couple passes, you could run the same ET as before. 5lbs per tire def makes a difference when its unsprung weight, but its not going to be all that dramatic. I think the beams will pick it up though, lol.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

If you're running basically the same setup before, I don't see much of a change. If you were going to a drag radial I'd say you should have a shot at the 12sec slip you want, but switching to another street tire, even if it's a little better than the one before, I don't think is going to be that much better to get you the 60' you need. As far as the rev limiter, I don't have enough experience with the 3v's to tell you for sure, but I can tell you when I had the stock gears in my 2v, I was better off hitting 4th, even if it was for the last 100ft or so, than I was trying to ride it out in 3rd. I just wasn't making the power anymore. I don't know enough about the 3v engine's power to tell you for sure, but if you're dropping off up that high, you're better off hitting 4th and getting into the torque of the engine.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I think the same, or slower. Two reasons for slower, 1. heavier wheels, 2. you're going to have to learn what those wheels/tires do and don't like, which will take trial and error.

If you figure it out in the first couple passes, you could run the same ET as before. 5lbs per tire def makes a difference when its unsprung weight, but its not going to be all that dramatic. I think the beams will pick it up though, lol.
learning how to launch with the new wheels/tires should be pretty easy... but yeah they are heavier which kind of sucks :/ i hope though, since they are stickier and 2 inches wider than stock, i can get a lower 60'

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
If you're running basically the same setup before, I don't see much of a change. If you were going to a drag radial I'd say you should have a shot at the 12sec slip you want, but switching to another street tire, even if it's a little better than the one before, I don't think is going to be that much better to get you the 60' you need. As far as the rev limiter, I don't have enough experience with the 3v's to tell you for sure, but I can tell you when I had the stock gears in my 2v, I was better off hitting 4th, even if it was for the last 100ft or so, than I was trying to ride it out in 3rd. I just wasn't making the power anymore. I don't know enough about the 3v engine's power to tell you for sure, but if you're dropping off up that high, you're better off hitting 4th and getting into the torque of the engine.
i just need a 1.95 60' time... i think i could get that with these tires. i mean they have stiff sidewalls, but they are 2" wider and stickier than the stock pirelli all seasons...

and when i had the car dyno'd, it wasnt making more power as i went higher in the rpm range, but it wasnt falling off. i think staying in 3rd for the last 1-200 feet would be good. i know when i had my focus, it helped a lot staying in 3rd as opposed to shifting to 4th.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Within a tenth and 1 mph.

Get DRs, it will be your best mod.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
It's a big limb. Most people are going to on the same limb.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Without the dr's i really don't see better times happening.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

The track prep and weather can change as well, making it very tough to get an accurate gain/loss per mod. Hell, I ran a half second slower today than last week... and I've added a couple bolt ons since then, lol. All due to the track not hooking as good and it being 80 degrees instead of 60.

Quick Reply: Heading to the track in a week.. What do you think I'll run??