The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Please help me understand this... Diesel tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Default Please help me understand this... Diesel tech

so a friend of mine just purchased a 1998 Hummer H1 and invested a fair amount of money into it, I stopped by and checked it out today, and let me tell you, it's pretty BA

but I have some questions with his claims because I'm kind of.... iffy about buying this stuff

he says it's a 6.5L Duramax diesel NON-TURBOCHARGED completely N/A... and he took it to California and got the engine worked on and it's now producing 750BHP N/A... I asked him about 9 times if he's sure it's not a turbo diesel and each time he says no

now from my limited experience with the platform I thought the Duramax diesels weren't around until after 1998 #1... #2, what in gods name could he have done to a bone stock non turbocharger diesel to get 750 horse out of the stock 6.5L

He also said things like, it went 155MPH on the dyno and it can outlaunch a viper and beat a vette in the 1/4 mile... .it definitely sounded good, and he sure as hell has the money to blow... but... IDK... still... lol

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking rig and I would kill for it, but his performance claims are kind of.... IDK...

pics from today....

Rear, he claimed that lift-able rear is custom, but to me it would make sense to have on all models so again, I was just like... "oh cool" and didn't really say much otherwise considering I'm not too familiar with the platform

Drivers side, back up camera, night vision module on the front grill all connected to that screen

Back seat, he has a sub underneath the lead seat in the pic with an amp underneath the other

this is the Night vision on the front grille

When he left he did take off at the light and I will say... it did move out ALOT faster than it's stock 170BHP @ 290lbs tq that I found it had considering it's given weight, it's definitely not stock... but I don't see it having the claimed power numbers or the route mentioned to attain that power... to me it's just not feasible

IMO #1 he has an old 6.5L N/A Detroit diesel with a bit of work done to it and believes it's a duramax, and #2 the work done to it was done by a shop where he doesn't really know too much about what was done to it

I will say when he took off I did "NOT" hear a spool at all in the thing... so IDK what the hell to think... are these old Detroit diesels mod friendly N/A?

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 03-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

No way, Morbid. I've dealt with big NA and turbo diesels most of my life, and I can tell you it doesn't work that way. There is nothing he could reasonably do to that thing NA to make that kind of power, and then to say it launches that hard kind of seals the deal. I could see a lot of torque, but not that much HP. Maybe they know something I don't, but I've never seen a NA diesel make power like that, even gigantic D8 bulldozer diesels.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Stone629
No way, Morbid. I've dealt with big NA and turbo diesels most of my life, and I can tell you it doesn't work that way. There is nothing he could reasonably do to that thing NA to make that kind of power, and then to say it launches that hard kind of seals the deal. I could see a lot of torque, but not that much HP. Maybe they know something I don't, but I've never seen a NA diesel make power like that, even gigantic D8 bulldozer diesels.
oh yeah I agree, I'm just kind of fishing for what might be done to it considering, the thing definitely picked up... I've seen some cars launch in my day and it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that even after the launch he was cruising just as good as my GTO could... if I had to guesstimate it looked like a 13ish second pass in the making but that is just eyeballing it

I'm not defending the guy, he's my friend and all but I could see things weren't adding up before we even went out to look at it

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 03-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
oh yeah I agree, I'm just kind of fishing for what might be done to it considering, the thing definitely picked up... I've seen some cars launch in my day and it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that even after the launch he was cruising just as good as my GTO could

I'm not defending the guy, he's my friend and all but I could see things weren't adding up before we even went out to look at it
Gotcha. I'll check around and see what can be done to those things. Did he give any inclination as to what he did to it?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Stone629
Did he give any inclination as to what he did to it?
None at all, although seeing his reactions to my questions I'm positive he's hiding something... and the more I think about it the more I think it's an engine swap

although I'm not sure what is in there, it's definitely a diesel though...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Hmm, wonder why he's being so secretive? In regards to his reactions, he probably didn't expect you to bombard him with typical "morbid" questions, lol. I'm very curious what he has going on in there. Some sort of swap would be leaning in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

I work for Cat and I Declare Shenanigans!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6VFtqJCRhk
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

BS, 100%. the HIGHEST dynoing 6.5 turbocharged diesel was in the 300-350rwhp range before the bottom end failed. that's the BLOCK failing, not the billet crank and rods...

he could have swapped in a Duramax and be making those numbers. but there's still no way in hell he's running 155mph with that cinder block, even on the dyno. his EGT's would be through the roof.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

No way in hell!

Any pictures of the engine bay?

I just had a new cab chassis dodge heavy duty (the one with 400/800) in what I assume is a lighter truck and it pulls hard but I wouldn't compare it to any car. This the 6.7 TURBO cummins. I thought all vehicle diesels were turboed, even our department's sprinter van has a little turbo diesel in it, when the turbo died on it, it would barely move under its own power.

Quick Reply: Please help me understand this... Diesel tech