The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

moderately modded 08 STI vs 11 GT - auto-x and rally-x

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default moderately modded 08 STI vs 11 GT - auto-x and rally-x

So my best friend wants to go to the next local autocross with me. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm bringing my stock 11 Stang GT and he's bringing his 08 STI. His upgrades that I know of are full turbo back exhaust, stage 2 tune and handling upgrades. I think we're in differing classes but I'd have to double check. Even if we are in different classes, we're still competing against each other to see who's the fastest.

I'm pretty big into both auto-x and rally-x. I have a lightly modded 05 STI in my garage that was great at both. It is retired now, and I only let it come out to play every once in a while. My new daily is the 11 Stang GT. I have great experience, and I think I can put on a good showing in my car. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I think my friend is a winner this round.

He also wants to do a rally-x with me soon in the Stang, he's even letting me borrow some tires. I have a bad feeling in the back of my head, haha.

He's a good bud that keeps egging me on, I just laugh it off. For example, whenever I say anything about my car. He says, 'Cool story. Want to race in the dirt?' I ususally respond 'How about at the 1/4 strip?', haha. He then precedes to make snoring noises.

Last edited by jaded seconds; 06-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Good luck. I just checked the times for the last couple of points events in the Atlanta Region. It looks like the boost buggies are running a good 3-5 seconds per event faster than the Mustangs. We generally have some fairly technical courses with very few areas where you can really stretch the legs of the Mustang. You aren't going straight for very long in the Atlanta Region. Those cars are just more nimble. If we had longer straights or more areas where you can utilize the strengths of the Mustang, it would be a different story. The main thing is to just have fun out there.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

ask him if he'll race at a real race track? most auto-x i've seen are setup for light cars for tight turns, and who races on dirt? only time im on a dirt road is to go hunting/camping, and you dont want to try racing down those roads, too many elk/deer and too narrow.

Real sports cars race on real race tracks and yeah, the 1/4 mile is for cars that can't turn/bad handling
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Drag racing is for fast cars; autocross is for fast drivers!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Driver will factor in a ton. Road racing and auto cross are a completely different universe from drag racing, and most people just don't know how to go through a turn fast.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
ask him if he'll race at a real race track? most auto-x i've seen are setup for light cars for tight turns, and who races on dirt? only time im on a dirt road is to go hunting/camping, and you dont want to try racing down those roads, too many elk/deer and too narrow.

Real sports cars race on real race tracks and yeah, the 1/4 mile is for cars that can't turn/bad handling
Real races are on dirt, Rally > *

I wouldn't take the stang out on it though, at least not a new one. I've seen a couple fox bodies and a sn95 run rally-america, it looks like they have fun but they never do very well.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

This one should be interesting........vid perhaps?

Let us know how it turns out.