The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

I need a remote bottle opener!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

What effects does overpressure produce? Is there no regulation system for constant pressure feed? LOL......both the youngster and the oldfart need schooling on the giggle gas. I'm from the carbs and points era
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Think of the tank like a car tire with the valve. You press on the valve and all the air in your tire will start spewing out. That is at 30-35psi. Now imagine that there is a valve on the lines of your nitrous system that stops the gas from flowing into your intake until a switch opens it. That 800psi of gas is just sitting there waiting for someplace to go. The more pressure you have in the bottle the faster the gas will try to get through the nozzle. With less pressure the gas my "trickle out" and cause you to get less nitrous and less of a gain in rwhp.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by okbfd
What effects does overpressure produce? Is there no regulation system for constant pressure feed? LOL......both the youngster and the oldfart need schooling on the giggle gas. I'm from the carbs and points era
I would think that over pressurizing would get closer to what the bottle can safely contain. At some point, the cap or the bottom would eventually let go. It would take extreme heat/pressure, but it can happen. I'm not sure what effects high pressure has on the shot itself.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

the higher the pressure the leaner it is and vice versa. all shots are based on a pressure of somewhere around 950 psi, so if you have say 1300psi cause you left the heater on too much, then there wont be enough fuel added in for it and it will go lean. same with if it's down to like 500psi, there will be too much fuel added in and it'll be rich. Also every bottle should have a pressure relief valve that will pop at 2000psi, to ensure that the bottle itself never blows apart. I really dont know how you could ever get it that hot tho.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
the higher the pressure the leaner it is and vice versa. all shots are based on a pressure of somewhere around 950 psi, so if you have say 1300psi cause you left the heater on too much, then there wont be enough fuel added in for it and it will go lean. same with if it's down to like 500psi, there will be too much fuel added in and it'll be rich. Also every bottle should have a pressure relief valve that will pop at 2000psi, to ensure that the bottle itself never blows apart. I really dont know how you could ever get it that hot tho.
By having a rocker come off on your mustang and pull off in a car wash (not knowing what the noise was at the time) at 2a.m. with a big turbo supra and quite a few of other bad rides there. Leaving the bottle warmer on and a cop roll up to see whats going on and not being able to tell the cop to hold on let me go cut my bottle warmer off lmao. The bottle got to about 1800psi by the time the cop left and the guy was able to get the pressure out before things went bad.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:46 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

LOL. i left it on in the '95 once, kept killing my battery and i couldn't figure out why my battery kept dieing lol. it was left on for about an hour and it was only at 1250 or so.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by okbfd
The pressure is the only pump so controlling bottle pressure is your regulator.
To much pressure can cause a couple problems. 1 as mentioned is leaning out the mix - always a worry with a power adder. 2 if the pressure gets too high the n2o solenoid can fail to open as it can't overcome the pressure on the plunger. And also as mentioned if you rupture the safety burst plate and you don't have a blow down tube to exit the gas out of the car your going to fill the car with nitrous.
On the other side of things when the pressure drops below 650 psi I believe the nitrous want to turn to return to a gas instead of liquid. At that point your running super rich and the calibration of the system is thrown off.

Last edited by jimkaray; 09-17-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo's and tweaked statement on low pressure
Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
GTtony
1st Gear Member

If im at 500psi and i want to get to 800 - 900, how long dose it take for a warmer to raise bottle pressure?

just asking because i don't think mine is working well.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
GTtony
1st Gear Member

BTW// sory i pulled this thread out of the grave guys...
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTtony
If im at 500psi and i want to get to 800 - 900, how long dose it take for a warmer to raise bottle pressure?

just asking because i don't think mine is working well.
Depends on how much nitrous is in the bottle and what the ambient temperature is. If your down to say 3-4 lbs in the bottle and the outside temp is in the 50's it might take a half hour or more.
Also, a pressure based bottle warmer is better than the temp based systems. Temp based systems keep cycling on/off rather than staying on until the desired bottle pressure is reached. just don't leave the bottle closed by accident of it won't know when to shut off.