The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2013 GT500 - 650hp

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Thanks friend. Good to be back, honestly.

Ah, that must have been what I seen then. I knew I glanced over an article or something that had that in there. Like I said, I'm WAY out of the loop. Haven't cared much about cars in over a year.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1
Like I said, I'm WAY out of the loop. Haven't cared much about cars in over a year.
Too much poon will do that to ya!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
You're looking at way too short of a time frame.

I was thinking 70's to now.

(I'm anti union lol even though I work for one)

I think union wages are partially responsible for the increases.
Well as a loyal member of the steel workers union I can assure you that labor costs are 8-10% of the final cost of any product made in America. There are alot of people getting rich in this country. Unfortunatley it's not the American work force.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Thats actually thr same dealer I went too, bout 4 miles from where I live. Damn, I wish I had of known you were in the area....might of been able to help you break that 5.0 in with my SS !

Sounds like you made out alright with the sale. Its just becoming obvious that the manufacturers, dealers, and banks are taking advantage. They all know the cars are not worth 30-37k, all they care about is selling loans. Labor costs havent gone up and the freight (fuel rise) is passed on to the consumer as a destination charge. Steel prices are the only thing that has changed significantly.

I still want to know what cost $20k extra dollars for the Gt500 though. A blower slapped on top of a 5.4 liter doesnt add up that much.
Crossroads Ford is a fun place to go look at cars with that awesome large indoor showroom!! It would have been fun to hook up with your SS on the way home, LOL!!

I have actually only had two street runs with my car. When I only had an O/R X-pipe and 93 octane tune I tried it against my uncle's '03 Mach 1 that had a K&N filter, aluminum driveshaft and some Mac mufflers. His car had ran a 13.06 @ 107 on the stock 245 Goodyears. We ran from a 2nd gear roll (around 30 MPH) until about 110 MPH and I put 5 to 6 cars on him. We were really surprised how well my car did against his!

The other run was shortly after I had put the blower on the car and a guy in town has a full exhaust, bolt-on LS1 Z28 (I think it is a 2001). I was out putting some break-in miles on my new twin-disc Mcleod clutch on a nice Sunday afternoon and he comes up beside me and honks them off from about a 50 MPH roll. We take them up to the top of my 4th gear (about 117 MPH) and he was many car lengths behind.

I slowed down and he didn't even want to talk. I saw him a couple of weeks later and he had no idea that I had a blower on the car. We had a good laugh and he is in the process of putting a nitrous kit on his car. It should run really well on the spray!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28th1s
Crossroads Ford is a fun place to go look at cars with that awesome large indoor showroom!! It would have been fun to hook up with your SS on the way home, LOL!!

I have actually only had two street runs with my car. When I only had an O/R X-pipe and 93 octane tune I tried it against my uncle's '03 Mach 1 that had a K&N filter, aluminum driveshaft and some Mac mufflers. His car had ran a 13.06 @ 107 on the stock 245 Goodyears. We ran from a 2nd gear roll (around 30 MPH) until about 110 MPH and I put 5 to 6 cars on him. We were really surprised how well my car did against his!

The other run was shortly after I had put the blower on the car and a guy in town has a full exhaust, bolt-on LS1 Z28 (I think it is a 2001). I was out putting some break-in miles on my new twin-disc Mcleod clutch on a nice Sunday afternoon and he comes up beside me and honks them off from about a 50 MPH roll. We take them up to the top of my 4th gear (about 117 MPH) and he was many car lengths behind.

I slowed down and he didn't even want to talk. I saw him a couple of weeks later and he had no idea that I had a blower on the car. We had a good laugh and he is in the process of putting a nitrous kit on his car. It should run really well on the spray!
Its like a car museum up there. They usually have that whole front section lined with classic cars. I go up there a lot just to look, lol.

Yea man, it would of been fun to do a dig and a roll just to see how they stack up. On the street, it probably would've been pretty close since your favoh was still stock. I couldn't touch you after that tune though, not up top anyway, lol.

Damn, you put a major hurting on that Mach! 13.0 at 107 is right on par with what they run with those mods, or even 4.10s. Best I ever got out of my Mach was a 12.9 at 109.9 with 4.10s and an ORX (weld in flows). To make an excuse for your Uncle, 1st gear might of been a better choice, or maybe a higher roll in 2nd gear. Machs need to stay over 4k rpm to move.... either way sounds like you would've still destroyed him..

If you ever do run that LS1 on nitrous, definitely post it up. I'm curious how it will turn out. I think you should still pull him, but by how much would be interesting to find out. If he's an 01 automatic Z28 with 2.73s, full bolt ons, and a 150 shot, he ought to be able to run low 11s at 125ish, (or a tad faster if he's geared).

Last edited by Stone629; 11-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Well as a loyal member of the steel workers union I can assure you that labor costs are 8-10% of the final cost of any product made in America. There are alot of people getting rich in this country. Unfortunatley it's not the American work force.
I call BS

Im fortunate I suppose. I'm going to come in right around 60,000 grossed this year (3X my previous best) and my wife once working full time with her bachelors is capable of close to that, then with her masters ought to be somewhere aroun 80-90K.

I won't consider us rich, but I'd say we both worked pretty hard to get where we are and have been blessed with more than millions of people are given or have earned in their efforts.

Last edited by 72MachOne99GT; 11-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I call BS

Im fortunate I suppose. I'm going to come in right around 60,000 grossed this year (3X my previous best) and my wife once working full time with her bachelors is capable of close to that, then with her masters ought to be somewhere aroun 80-90K.

I won't consider us rich, but I'd say we both worked pretty hard to get where we are and have been blessed with more than millions of people are given or have earned in their efforts.
What is she getting her masters in? I ask cause my wife has hers in School counseling and makes less than $50k with 6 years of experience in the North Carolina school system. Trying to convince her to get a doctorate and get into the private sector. She could make 6 figures in private counseling.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

You're looking at way too short of a time frame.

I was thinking 70's to now.

(I'm anti union lol even though I work for one)

I think union wages are partially responsible for the increases.
Yes I agree, that's definitely true. Car prices jumped a lot through the late 70's and the 80's. But I was comparing car prices to inflation over the last decade. Plus, at this point, we're pretty far off from the discussion about whether or not the Mustang is fairly priced.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 11-17-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
whether or not the Mustang is fairly priced.
Is it priced right? Loaded 5.0, 3.73 gear, brembos, leather... how much? $36k?

I just can't in my right mind spend $28-30k on cloth seats, a rubber steering wheel, and 18 inch alloy wheels just because it has a badass engine.

GT500 up until now, a 5.4 with a heaton strapped too it, $50k new and it struggles to run mid 12s... not worth $50k imo.

The 2010 GT500 was much better though. And it appears as if this upcoming GT500 is also improved on, so they are getting there for sure.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Is it priced right? Loaded 5.0, 3.73 gear, brembos, leather... how much? $36k?

I just can't in my right mind spend $28-30k on cloth seats, a rubber steering wheel, and 18 inch alloy wheels just because it has a badass engine.

GT500 up until now, a 5.4 with a heaton strapped too it, $50k new and it struggles to run mid 12s... not worth $50k imo.

The 2010 GT500 was much better though. And it appears as if this upcoming GT500 is also improved on, so they are getting there for sure.
Yes I really think it is priced right. If you have $28,000 to spend on a sports car, what are your better alternatives? Seriously, 412hp with a warranty and zero miles on it for less than $30,000. Not only that, but it is a superbly good handling vehicle as well.

Also, the GT500 has more to it than a 5.4L w/a blower, we both know that. We also both know that part of that higher price is due to demand, and the Shelby name. With that said, for $54,000, what car at that price performs like it does as an all around sports car? The numbers this thing is running at the 'Ring put it far ahead of a basic LS3 Vette.

As far as the interior goes, I have the most basic interior on my car and have no problems with it at all. I think its really attractive and unlike past Mustangs, it has a lot of soft touch material. As far as cloth seats go, I love them. I've always felt that leather seats are overrated on most cars under $40,000, as the leather is usually cheap and more importantly, they show wear quickly. My cloth seats look nice, provide the same support and will not show wear. I could care less about a leather steering wheel. They usually wear quickly in the spot where you keep your hand the most.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 11-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 - 650hp