The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Whats it gonna run ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Explosive

The heads were assembled by AFR, I'd imagine they're decent springs as the heads are nice. rod bolts are the good ARP press in ones, oil pump is a OE replacement type IIRC.

For tire I'm guessing a 26" would be right for me ? Was going to get some welds, run skinnies up front and not decided on slicks or DR's yet. Not sure if DR's would hook off the line with the 5 speed. But I have seen wheelstands off the Mickey DR's
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Slicks are always gonna be better than DRs. If it still has interior , rip it out. A dry shot will get you there without to much more expense.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Explosive

I've always been anti nitrous, I know it's fairly cheap and effective. But I've always hated on it because if the bottle runs out you don't have ****. At least with turbo/blower you also have that kick in the ***. I'd catch so much **** if I ran n02 right now lol.

Eh, interior has everything minus a radio and a headliner. the 79 seats are pretty light compared to some of the newer stuff, not much to them lol. Don't even tilt.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I agree with mid 12's. You have a sub 3000lb car with roughly 280rwhp. E cam is holding a solid motor back.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
I've always been anti nitrous, I know it's fairly cheap and effective. But I've always hated on it because if the bottle runs out you don't have ****. At least with turbo/blower you also have that kick in the ***. I'd catch so much **** if I ran n02 right now lol.

Eh, interior has everything minus a radio and a headliner. the 79 seats are pretty light compared to some of the newer stuff, not much to them lol. Don't even tilt.
Everything I've owned before was turbod. I'm going to try spraying this car. it should be decently quick on motor and hopefully high 10s on spray when its done.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

nitrous is just throwing a bandaid on your problem, the camshaft. By the time you're done setting up a reliable nitrous setup and filling bottles you could have just bought a good hydraulic roller cam and get what you really want out of it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

I'm with the the other guys and saying the cam will hold you back big time from what the motor could make IMO slicks before dr's (blew my center section on dr's) go on and tear the interior out if what you mainly want is a track car and sharpin up those shift quite a bit bit do a 5-6k launch and enjoy the ride!!! With that said I could see 12.3's and for more weight ditch the front n rear bumper supports. Probably close to 50-60 pounds

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
I agree with mid 12's. You have a sub 3000lb car with roughly 280rwhp. E cam is holding a solid motor back.
I don't get it...

Stock cam and 3160 race weight with 290hp.... Do you think I don't have more than mid 12's??
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojobanks
nitrous is just throwing a bandaid on your problem, the camshaft. By the time you're done setting up a reliable nitrous setup and filling bottles you could have just bought a good hydraulic roller cam and get what you really want out of it.
Wow, I dont see a cam outgaining a 75 or100 shot. While the cam he has now isn't pufect. It's alot of expense to have someone bolt another cam in it's place. And it's a days worth of knucklebusting to do it your self.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Explosive

Hmmm, this has me thinking. I really want to see 11's. I'm not spraying it. I do need a water pump, this would be when I'd toss a new cam in. PTV clearance worries me a little as I know the E-cam clears. Then I assume I'd have to remeasure and have some new pushrods made again correct ?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
I'm with the the other guys and saying the cam will hold you back big time from what the motor could make IMO slicks before dr's (blew my center section on dr's) go on and tear the interior out if what you mainly want is a track car and sharpin up those shift quite a bit bit do a 5-6k launch and enjoy the ride!!! With that said I could see 12.3's and for more weight ditch the front n rear bumper supports. Probably close to 50-60 pounds

I don't get it...

Stock cam and 3160 race weight with 290hp.... Do you think I don't have more than mid 12's??
Well I'd say his race weight pretty close to your once he's in it and you make a bit more power (10-20hp). I'd say your cars good for low 12's with your setup. His cars probably more in the 12.4/12.5 range IMO.

Quick Reply: Whats it gonna run ?