The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

350zzzzzzzzzzs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
As far as I know it's a SRT-4 thing. Toys was a high octane tune from mopar that kicked up the stage 3 turbo kit from 310 to 355HP. I don't know if another type of car is using the term for their tune now?
ahhh gotcha. i've never heard about it on any other car, just started seeing it when i was looking up these srt's. So blue how many miles is too many for one of these cars? and is there anything common he needs to look for when he goes to check the cars out?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

I haven't been real impressed with chrystler/dodge as far as making long-lasting vehicles for the last 10 years or so. I don't think I've seen any other brand of car have so many significant problems on vehicles less than 10 years old.

Main problems I've seen are timing belt issues. More specifically the tensioners failing. This was a more of an issue with the 2.0Ls than the 2.4s though. But if the car has over 100k on the clock and hasn't had the timing belt serviced, you should either plan to replace the belt soon or just pass on the car.

Other than that the only problems I've seen out of those cars is paint/interior problems. You may hear a loud "thump" from the back of the car from time to time when you first cut the ignition on in the morning. It's the fuel pump knocking into something and is completely normal.

Other than that the motor itself is pretty stout. From what I've seen these can handle up to 500whp on the stock block/head. the transmission is built well also, the 03 model had an open differential, while the 04 and 05s got limited slips. Starting in 04 they were basically packaged from the factory with the "stage 1" upgrade (bigger injectors and more boost).

Last edited by jojobanks; 02-23-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The Engines last forever. Very tough little engine. The drive Train is the weak link. If he can find one where someone replaced the clutch with a good aftermarket clutch and transmission doesn't have any issues rowing thru gears the rest of the car holds up pretty well. My 5.0 had 100K on the clock. I wouldnt be afraid to buy a skittle with the same milage in good condition. Nice thing about SRT-4 is you can get a heavy modded one for 10 grand. Perfect discuise bought a real nice used on with everything already done to it and he still owns the car.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Well according to the bank these cars are only worth 7k, so that's all he can get. he found another blue one with around 100k on it for the price he's going to look at. it does have a new clutch and newer axles, not sure if they're performance ones tho. also has a turboback, intake, stage 1 tune, bov/wastegate, hard intercooler piping and a bigger front mount. hopefully he ends up picking it up, I cant wait to race it. lol