The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Sadly, i'm asking you how to drive a V8 fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Default Sadly, i'm asking you how to drive a V8 fast

First and foremost iv'e been reading racers bench for a few weeks now, glad I can finally post in here. I have a 1991 Mustang GT it's my first Mustang. My last car was a 4cyl Pontiac G5 and my everday driver is a 4cyl Jeep Patriot. As you can see i'm not used to speed. My dad had a 2011 Hyundai Genesis for awhile that he let me drive around with a V6 and i'm thinking a lot of HP, that thing flew. With my V8 Mustang how do I win any races? I told a buddy at work that when I floored it the other day, it didn't even put my back in my seat. He said "you're doing it wrong." It's an automatic transmission how the heck am I doing it wrong! lol. Is there any tips you guys can give me how to drive it so it picks up quicker?

The other day I was at a stop light and this truck comes up next to me knowing his lane has to immediately merge into mine, he didn't want to wait in line and was going to cut me off so when the light turned green I hit the gas and spun into his lane. Seems like I can't accerlate fast in the car, so I have to accerlate slow and then hit the gas pedal to the floor? I just don't see how i'd ever win from a stop, maybe from like a 40 roll but it still doesn't put me back in my seat, maybe i'm not hitting the gas fast enough...do I need to just slam the pedal to the floor and leave it there?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

on the street in my auto i always have to roll into, give it a little gas to get moving(like enough gas to get moving out fairly quickly, but nowhere near full throttle), then halfway through the intersection i usually have enough speed to punch the gas w/o spinning too bad. It's something you have to practice at to get a feel for it. right now I just dont get traction on the street with my stock tires. I need warmer weather (air is denser when it's cold, more o2, means you are putting out more power, combined with the rubber on your tires being hard means much less traction) I don't run my drag radials on the street during the winter...

and depending on what is done to your car there are a lot of trucks that would still beat you even if you did everything perfectly.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Your not going to beat many cars without doing some modding. Your ridding around in a 15 second car that was fast back in the 80s but now it's about as fast as your everyday commuter car. Try advancing the timing to around 14 degrees and pull as much weight out as you can. Those mods are free and will gain you a few tenths. After that your going to have to spend some money to get faster.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

bluebeast is right, your car was rated at 225hp and even the entry level cars like 4 cyl focus has 160hp. the ford taurus has 263hp and the taurus sho has 365.. what a difference 20 years makes, back in 1991 most 4cyl cars were making 75-90hp so 225 was good. and your dad's hyundai genesis makes 290hp.

But there is potential for a lot of power to be made with that engine, and you can have a fast car after doing some work on it, even by today's standards.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

You bought a nice crusing V8 Mustang, enjoy it to cruise, smoke a tire here and there. Unless you want to spend money, you've got awhile to worry about before racing random cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

These guys are giving you pretty straight up answers. Other than practicing, there's not a lot you can do to go faster without modding. What are your intentions with the car? Drag racing, cruising, just a DD?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the answers. My intentions with the car is really just to have something to have fun in the summer with. It's got a BBK cold air intake, offroad h pipe and a new exhaust system put on it by the previous owner. Unfortunately it's a convertible. Before I can get it any faster though I have to fix what's already wrong with it such as: oil leak as i'm finding out about now (posted a picture in the 5.0 general discussion, please voice your opinon for me in it), driver side window motor is working but the window seems not clamped in and falls down when trying to use the power window, fog lights, horn, and other electrical things don't work, brakes are squealing, passenger door doesn't open from the inside it's like the handle doesn't latch with something in the inside, speedometer is way off, interior is pretty beat up. Just things like that, and being a FRESH beginner i'm literally learning a little bit every day but I have a lot to fix How much HP do you think I have from 225 with the things I mentioned added on?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Given the age of the car your probably making about 190 to the rear wheels.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

My fav mustang is the Fox body. I can remember back in the day, there were three cars that I wanted (Yeah I'm old). Mustang LX/GT, Buick GN and a IROC Z (5.7L of course). Everyone here is spot on tho. In the 80's 225 hp made you think you were invincible but now the 4 and 6 bangers are pushing that out and more. GL BTW any pics??
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
MrPack91
1st Gear Member

Pics of the car are in garage, videos of the oil leak are in the 5.0 section if anybody can help! I do a walk around in the second video so you can see the car.

Quick Reply: Sadly, i'm asking you how to drive a V8 fast