The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Supercharged 4.6 vs 5.0 -- Who wins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
Tell me how it's a waste of time? I'm a college kid on a budget. The general idea of a 'safe' hp number is no more than 450 rwhp on the stock internals. With a 2.57 pulley and a bigger intake I can make ~430. That will put me at a good safe number, without having to upgrade the driveshaft, clutch, internals, etc. Everyone has different goals. Mine is to make about 500 crank hp.
idk, to me a boost in power like that is not worth the effort or money. A m112 would gain quite a bit over a m90.

to me still a m112 is barley worth my time.

and deep pockets? bah, who you kidding, my pos is 22 years old, not some new boss, or roush mustang, lol, but I doubt you where referring to me, and more meant the 4.6 guys putting whipples on there ****.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

I would think it would be a drivers race all the way but with equal drivers, I would give the nod to the 4.6 with a blower.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

If you're looking for any more input....

I have experienced all the named cars so here's my take. Please don't take this as me being some M90 fanboy and a 5.0 hater. For the record, I love the new 5.0 and considered getting one for my daily (instead got a new camry - go figure).

Anyway, the M90 is not the best blower for your car; it is limited in both boost and power it can produce. It is however a reliable blower that's fairly efficient in the 5 - 8psi range. I was going to get a whipple, but due to Roush's blowout a couple of years ago, I couldn't resist the Roushcharger for half the price!!!

I'm writing this because I feel most of the posts in this thread send the wrong message. On a budget, this can be a great blower. The M90 can make your mustang a fast and reliable car. You just need to know what your goals are and what you want. This blower will never be a huge producer or one you can grow with. It's best for a stock block and intentions of just adding some power. If you're looking to go nuts in a few years, you'll need to either get a different blower now, or upgrade later. Based upon your comments of wanting to be budget friendly and be easy on your block (not to say it couldn't take more), I would say the M90 is a good choice for you. With the 4.10s, the car will pull hard, I have them too. As far as feel, subjectively with the gears, my car feels like it pulls as hard as my buddy's pullied '03 Cobra. I know it's not as powerful, but SOTP feel they are pretty close. And the whine is close too - it's awesome!!!!

Here's my experience. I've driven 2 stock 5.0s, both M6 and can tell you (at least compared to my car), there is no way a stock 5.0 will even be a drivers race to an M90 blown car with CAI, Pulley and Tune. I'm not saying you're going to put bus lengths on one, but you're certainly not going to be even. You will make more power, everywhere, period. As far as a completely stock Roush package, I cannot say and I've seen some incredibly weak times from these. I would probably give the nod to the 5.0 because Roush was ultra conservative with its tune for warranty purposes. As far as a bolt-on 5.0 (CAI, Tune, Full Exhaust with Headers), it really depends on both cars. I've seen ranges for both cars and think that one is a drivers race. I've raced a stock Boss 302 with 2 separate drivers at E-Town and beaten them every time. This is not to say I could beat every Boss out there, but I was both quicker and faster than this particular one, on that particular day. Right now I am running the Roush 2.87 pulley. They have pulleys as small as 2.49 and then OD pulleys too. I see pullied cars in the 115 - 117mph range and in the 120+ range with a 10% lower.

So, while this is not the best blower, it's still a blower and not a complete waste of time. It will still add a lot of power and make you feel your current set-up is a lawn mower. I believe you would be happy with the M90 blower and if you can pick one up for $2500 you'll be set. Also, the M112 won't work without a custom setup.

NOTE: For full price $5,000 new, I would not get the M90. This is based upon the OP stating looking at a used one for <$3,000.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:48 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
If you're looking for any more input....

I have experienced all the named cars so here's my take. Please don't take this as me being some M90 fanboy and a 5.0 hater. For the record, I love the new 5.0 and considered getting one for my daily (instead got a new camry - go figure).

Anyway, the M90 is not the best blower for your car; it is limited in both boost and power it can produce. It is however a reliable blower that's fairly efficient in the 5 - 8psi range. I was going to get a whipple, but due to Roush's blowout a couple of years ago, I couldn't resist the Roushcharger for half the price!!!

I'm writing this because I feel most of the posts in this thread send the wrong message. On a budget, this can be a great blower. The M90 can make your mustang a fast and reliable car. You just need to know what your goals are and what you want. This blower will never be a huge producer or one you can grow with. It's best for a stock block and intentions of just adding some power. If you're looking to go nuts in a few years, you'll need to either get a different blower now, or upgrade later. Based upon your comments of wanting to be budget friendly and be easy on your block (not to say it couldn't take more), I would say the M90 is a good choice for you. With the 4.10s, the car will pull hard, I have them too. As far as feel, subjectively with the gears, my car feels like it pulls as hard as my buddy's pullied '03 Cobra. I know it's not as powerful, but SOTP feel they are pretty close. And the whine is close too - it's awesome!!!!

Here's my experience. I've driven 2 stock 5.0s, both M6 and can tell you (at least compared to my car), there is no way a stock 5.0 will even be a drivers race to an M90 blown car with CAI, Pulley and Tune. I'm not saying you're going to put bus lengths on one, but you're certainly not going to be even. You will make more power, everywhere, period. As far as a completely stock Roush package, I cannot say and I've seen some incredibly weak times from these. I would probably give the nod to the 5.0 because Roush was ultra conservative with its tune for warranty purposes. As far as a bolt-on 5.0 (CAI, Tune, Full Exhaust with Headers), it really depends on both cars. I've seen ranges for both cars and think that one is a drivers race. I've raced a stock Boss 302 with 2 separate drivers at E-Town and beaten them every time. This is not to say I could beat every Boss out there, but I was both quicker and faster than this particular one, on that particular day. Right now I am running the Roush 2.87 pulley. They have pulleys as small as 2.49 and then OD pulleys too. I see pullied cars in the 115 - 117mph range and in the 120+ range with a 10% lower.

So, while this is not the best blower, it's still a blower and not a complete waste of time. It will still add a lot of power and make you feel your current set-up is a lawn mower. I believe you would be happy with the M90 blower and if you can pick one up for $2500 you'll be set. Also, the M112 won't work without a custom setup.

NOTE: For full price $5,000 new, I would not get the M90. This is based upon the OP stating looking at a used one for <$3,000.
The fastest I've seen an M90 with DR's in the quarter is 12.1, there are a couple of guys over at Bossforums that have 11 seconds runs with the same setup, one guy in general ran an 11.58 with only DR's and a few others are in the 11.7-11.8 range.

Below is the time slip link for the run.....it's at the bottom of the thread on this page.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...2012-boss-302/

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 05-26-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have run many times in the 12.2's in bad air and a DA in the 1200+ range. I know in the right conditions I could be at least a tenth faster. Now with my truetrac installed I expect to be faster. With a new converter I could be as much as a half second faster. Just ask outcelj, he knows.
As far as what's better, deep pockets, its all BS. I am fortunate and can buy whatever I want. Bigger blower new boss doesn't matter I wanted a reliable blower that was very safe for the stock 4.6 and 5r55. And that is exactly what I have. Its so consistant I won 2 races last year.
OP buy the blower that's right for your needs. Bigger isn't always better. That is something you learn when you have options in life.

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
The fastest I've seen an M90 with DR's in the quarter is 12.1, there are a couple of guys over at Bossforums that have 11 seconds runs with the same setup, one guy in general ran an 11.58 with only DR's and a few others are in the 11.7-11.8 range.

Below is the time slip link for the run.....it's at the bottom of the thread on this page.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...2012-boss-302/
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye

[/URL]
plenty of guys running low-mid 11's with a M90 over at FNSweet.com

They are some serious M90 modding guys over there.. they will squeeze every once of hp out of those things, as well as bolt on larger heat exchangers, under drive pulleys, smaller pulleys etc. Sure, the set up has everything under the sun... but it gets the numbers
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
That's about what I figured. The new 5.0s are really amazing. Oh well, hopefully I'll be supercharged in a couple months and I'll go 5.0 hunting
Don't be so sure about it.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That has got to be one of the longest roll races I have ever seen! I was waiting for one of them to start throwing lightning bolts and **** ahead of their car and then suddenly disappear into a warp hole of some sort...
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

thanks for posting the vid 2008gt/cs, i've been looking for that vid for about 4 months now.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Here is the other view from the Roush, if you pause it late in the video those dudes are tacked out above 140mph.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 08-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 4.6 vs 5.0 -- Who wins?