The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

99 GT vs 05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

240-250 awhp. Just a guess.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

A guess is all I need haha thanks. I am feeling more confident about this now atleast!!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Ah don't feel bad about spending money on a lil get away haha. Hell chose a cross country trip over dumping my $1000 into my car to go towards getting it runnung again lol.

But video would be great!! Lol daytime would be even better haha

What exhaust do you have? Just cat back or do you have longtubes and all? But his car if he did swap that turbo over I'd say maybe 245ish with a good tune, and id say at that point it would probably be a drivers race with your car. I could be wrong though too lol
Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I feel yeah on the trying to get it running, when I bought mine I had to do major repairs to it( seemed like just about everything was crapping out on me) and ended up paying more for in repairs than I did to buy it.

I really wish I could tell you what my exhaust was, I bought it from a dealer and had limited answers on what has been done, I can't believe the previous owner didn't leave them a list. The only thing the dealer could tell me was that the previous owner used it for racing. They actually listed the car as 100% stock, if you can believe that.

And dont worry haha I'll make sure its in the day time, and make sure the camera man keeps his window rolled up (hate that wind noise) and i'll try to keep music out of the video as well.

Last edited by Doyon; 05-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doyon
A guess is all I need haha thanks. I am feeling more confident about this now atleast!!
I think you got it. If he had an STi, you would be in trouble. But a base WRX? They're not fast.

Can I ask you something? How can you buy a car and not know EVERYTHING that was done to it. When I modified mine, I kept receipts for everything I put on it as well and dyno sheets, etc. When I sold the car, the new owner got all of that. I am just curious why you didn't get the complete mod list when you bought yours.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I bought it from a dealer, they recieved it as a trade in. And as far as I know they didn't get anything as to what has been done to it. I keep records of EVERYTHING that have been done to my cars, as I know one day i'll probably sell the car and I know the next owner will want to know its history.

I am not much of a car guy as for knowledge, So when I saw/drove the Mustang, I figured it only had an exhaust, CAI, suspension of some sort, and some sort of gears (which I now know are 4:10)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Finally after a month of waiting I can post in this section!

I bought my GT about a week before my friend Nick bought his 05 WRX, but he was lucky and my car had to go into the shop for about 2 weeks total, and as soon as I got my car back on the road his car broke down and he decided to do some work to it after riding in my GT.

Heres what he has sent me on a text and what he has said about it on Facebook.

Waste gate, up pipe, bigger turbo ( I cant imagine it will be put in right away) bigger fuel injectors, honed out to a 2.1L. He says it should make close to 280/290 hp, I don't know if thats rwhp or not and also he said atleast 300 tourqe. On Facebook he has a picture of his engine with the caption EJ20, and I am not quite sure what it is. (seems to be multiple kinds)

On to me, I have a bigger throttle body, fuel injectors, aftermarket suspension (I dont know what kind but it has quite a bit) exhaust, CAI, 4:10 gears, I think its called a limited slip differentail, and I think thats about it.

My friend owns a 1985 VW GTI and he has been able to take on Nick from a dig all the way through 3rd gear (missed it), so I don't really expect Nick's AWD to help him at all, as most people tell me he is possibly one of the worst drivers in the world.

I have never full on raced a WRX or an STI but I have run into a few STI/WRX around town and messed around and I get a pretty good pull on most before I have to shut it down (maybe the run would last 3 or 4 car lengths, not pull 3 or 4 on them haha)

Do I have a chance? Will it be close? I am expecting that it will be a drivers race more than anything, in which case I think I could win it. It's killing me on the inside haha He keeps hinting he wants to race with the whole "My car is going to be hella fast bro Im pretty sure I will smack that ford around" But he always makes an excuse not to race.

I welcome all input, tips, ect!

Can you show us pics of your suspension setup? If it's good suspension and you put some sticky tires on the car, you could be able to take him from a dig. If it's more of a handling suspension setup and you're on the stock tires, you'd better stick to a roll race.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Hey UPR, i'll try to get some pics when I can pull my car out of the garage and not get poured on haha. I would avoid a dig race if possible, but my friend is determined sense his car is AWD.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Hey UPR, i'll try to get some pics when I can pull my car out of the garage and not get poured on haha. I would avoid a dig race if possible, but my friend is determined sense his car is AWD.
$10 says he bogs the **** out of it.

Here the the dyno from my STi. When I say the car puts you in your seat, it really does. But with the 3.90 rear and the short gearing, I am constantly shifting. Huge pain in the ***.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Bickety, he did bog the car down with me in it when he tried to "peel out".... haha. He was so confused, because "his honda could do it".

Being around Supras for most of my life I really wanted to buy somthing turbo'd, and for the longest time I wanted to get an STI, but I also wanted a Mustang. Believe me, it was a hard choice, but I like when older folks and little kids are next to me at the stop light and smile or give me a thumbs up to the sound of my car.. Its hard to beat the sound of a great sounding V8, but it's hard to beat the sound of a BOV/Turbo spool.

Last edited by Doyon; 05-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 99 GT vs 05 WRX