The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

03 cobra vs h/c/i t/a

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default 03 cobra vs h/c/i t/a

Already got my first race lined up and already plan on losing lol. This is a fresh ls1, 10.5:1 compression, ms4, ported 5.3 heads, ls6 intake, built 4l60, 3.73's, full suspension on 555r's. his car just put down 405 on a dynojet.

I'm going into this expecting to lose, we will do rolls as he cant launch his car yet, something is messed up with it to where it wont launch. so, that being said we'll prolly do a 30 roll and a 55. I'm hoping i can get the jump on him but curious as to how long it takes him to come around me or how many cars he ends up putting on my. opinions?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

I made that power with an MS3 and stock heads. Actually identical number iirc. I don't think you'll lose, especially from a roll. If that "built 4l60" can't launch, something is already wrong. When my old car was cam only/stalled it was a monster from the hole, but sucked from a roll. It'd even MPH well but from a roll it got killed from cars that MPH'ed less, kinda strange. I guess dat der torque multiplication killed from a dig.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Agreed, his numbers are way low. Like 98 said, that's cam only territory. Those 5.3 heads flow well and bump up compression, so he's missing hp somewhere.

I disagree about the roll thing. He would be better off going from a dig, but he should still be strong from a roll.

Can't launch?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
sneakypete_ftw!
1st Gear Member

Those number aren't too bad considering he's going through an auto. That has to be taken into consideration. When I first saw the numbers that was my first thought, then I realized its an auto car.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Being an auto has little to do with his numbers. Every bolt on auto LS1 I've had put down 350 RWHP. That head/cam combo is good for 450 RWHP, M6 or Auto.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sneakypete_ftw!
Those number aren't too bad considering he's going through an auto. That has to be taken into consideration. When I first saw the numbers that was my first thought, then I realized its an auto car.
You must have missed where I said cam only and stalled....3800 iirc and still made that power. 4l60e baby
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yeah i'm not sure why his power is down. something is either wrong in his trans or tuning, to where when he tries to launch it it'll go good for a second then fall on it's face apparently. but at pretty much any rolling start it's fine.

Even with him only making 405 to the tires, i'd imagine my cars in the 440 area, and he has a couple hundred pounds on me so it should be interesting. also, i'm still getting used to the whole manual thing and i've never been known to shift fast. but hopefully this n2mb box can help that a little since i'll have one less pedal to mess with lol.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM
sneakypete_ftw!
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Being an auto has little to do with his numbers. Every bolt on auto LS1 I've had put down 350 RWHP. That head/cam combo is good for 450 RWHP, M6 or Auto.
While I'm not denying those number are low, I'm going to disagree with you on an auto not making a power difference. You're not talking to a dyno newbie. I go to dyno days and am very involved in our race scene down here. That car would have made an easy 20whp through a manual. A good friends t/a down here with ported 243's, and a trex cam with minimal bolt ons made 451whp through a t56. With that car having ported 5.3's and an ms4 yea it def should have made more. Maybe the tuner is just being super conservative with the tune.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

We did a quick 50-110 pull last night and it ended with me on top by about 1/2 to 1 car. We both started in second, I was at about 4000-4500rpm, it was dead even thru that until I attempted my 2-3 shift then he pulled a fender, then third I came around him and I actually did a really good 3-4 and continued my slow pull. I'm happy with it considering I'm still new to the car and I actually have no idea where to shift, I was shifting at around 6300 not sure if that's low or not. We'll get more races in hopefully tonight with vids.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sneakypete_ftw!
While I'm not denying those number are low, I'm going to disagree with you on an auto not making a power difference. You're not talking to a dyno newbie. I go to dyno days and am very involved in our race scene down here. That car would have made an easy 20whp through a manual. A good friends t/a down here with ported 243's, and a trex cam with minimal bolt ons made 451whp through a t56. With that car having ported 5.3's and an ms4 yea it def should have made more. Maybe the tuner is just being super conservative with the tune.

I agree that an automatic will suck up more power, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying your talking a 10-15 RWHP (maybe more, maybe less) between the two. IMO, the TA the op is describing should be in the 430-450 range. Hate to get into a dyno debate however....you having been around dynos for awhile now know all about he variances between cars/dynos/location/etc.

I'm thinking it's all in that guys tune as well. Especially the way Greddy describes how it falls on its face from a dig. Something is def off.

.....good run Greddy. Sounds like you got the faster car. You ought to pull him harder once you get a few more runs under your belt.

Quick Reply: 03 cobra vs h/c/i t/a