The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

predictions?? 2009 RT AWD Charger mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Those tuned shifts are worth 2-3 tenths depending on how bad they were before. I'm going to go ahead and predict a low 12.7, maybe high 12.6 here. That car has already proved to be a strong runner.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The 3500 torque converter took quite a bit of firmness out of the shifts, something I anticipated but not as much as it did.

From what I hear, the mods I am doing will raise solenoid pressure to nearly 100%, compared to the stock 65%.

Not sure if I want those neck jarring shifts all the time rofl

I'd be a happy camper with the numbers you predict though.. wow!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
It's been in the 100's this area the last month or two. Too hot to run.
Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
^ This... not gonna abuse it too much more before fall time.
it's been raining up here non-stop for the past month and half.. we finally got a week of sun and no track days! I missed Fridays test and tune, simply because I forgot to check the dates.

If we get rained out in August/September.. I have to wait til next season

Happened last year! Doh!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

we could use some rain over this way. heh. Looking forward to the run, with the 05+ mustang the shift can be electronically firmed up (via a tune) and people claim it's as good as any aftermarket converter, the only reason to get one in them is for the higher stall, which is still good for .2, I'm curious about how yours does if it shifts harder/faster with the new converter you could see some significant drop.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
if it shifts harder/faster with the new converter you could see some significant drop.
This is true ^^^..really need both to get the most of it, but that doesn't mean you won't still see up to half a second with just the stall. That converter should still be a good bit lighter/smaller than the stocker which will put way more torque to the wheels, along with one hell of a launch with that much torque, high stall, and AWD. Eager to see what type of 60 this Charger pulls.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
we could use some rain over this way. heh. Looking forward to the run, with the 05+ mustang the shift can be electronically firmed up (via a tune) and people claim it's as good as any aftermarket converter, the only reason to get one in them is for the higher stall, which is still good for .2, I'm curious about how yours does if it shifts harder/faster with the new converter you could see some significant drop.
I tuned the transmission with Diablo and that did wonders for it, same type of tune for my 08 Mustang but the converter, especially the 3500 is an amazing mod on it's own lol I had a 3200 and that was kind of a waste with a 4489 lbs. car. Mine is 4280, so it's a pretty good difference in how the stall hits. The converter hits hard, bt the shifts are softened up a little bit. I want to do the AMG Blue Tops, most likely will, but they hit VERY hard... almost too hard lol

Originally Posted by Stone629
This is true ^^^..really need both to get the most of it, but that doesn't mean you won't still see up to half a second with just the stall. That converter should still be a good bit lighter/smaller than the stocker which will put way more torque to the wheels, along with one hell of a launch with that much torque, high stall, and AWD. Eager to see what type of 60 this Charger pulls.
My 2012 dropped about 0.4 (13.7/13.8 stock vs 13.3/13.4 stalled)

stock tune, 1.8 60 fts. 4600 lbs. AWD.

Pretty sure I will see a significant drop in my overall times in my 09. I am having a ton of fun in the meantime launching it at the light just for kicks rofl

I think it's (tuned) right around 415-420lbs. torque at the crank. Maybe more since the converter. It certainly feels like I gained a fvcko of power off the line!

Funny thing is that it doesn't feel any different around town until I nail it.. I forget that it's there..
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Looks like I'll just be running the 3500 stall without any supporting shift mods for now.

I work til later in the evenings and have no way of contacting companies for mods until late in the night. Tried to get stuff 2nd day air but being in Alaska, it's not always that simple and it's a premium to do so.

Anyways.. hope it's enough to cut the 60 fts. and ET's I want to

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Odd looking lil suckers... from what I hear, they are infamous for their brutal firmness in shifts. Both up and down, especially the down. This is 24/7, not progressive. Meaning, they shift HARD all the time, ANY time. Not sure if I want that, but we will soon see...

other than that everyone loves them!

Now I just need to figure out where the *** do they go.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 08-04-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

NEW Best of 13.0@103mph, NEW best averages of 13.1@102mph, consistent 60 fts. 1.8

Old best of 13.2@104mph, old best averages of 13.3/13.4@103mph, consistent 2.0 60 fts.

It launches HARD off the line.. so much so that the stability control (although turned off, it still kicked in ) would go into hiatus and not let me launch until it caught some traction. Too much of a good thing I guess lol

Shifts were slipping pretty badly and it did that weird thing in mid 3rd like my 2012 did (3500-3650 it lowers, hovers and goes up again), it really hurt my overall time.

I ended up gaining regardless of traction issues. Averaging a 0.2/0.3 reduction off my average times (13.3/13.4) and a reduction of 0.2 off my best time (13.2). Consitent 1.8 60 fts. but I feel as if I can do way better with different tires. The 235-50-18's help with gear redution, but end up just spinning off the line compared to the 225-60-18 all season. 3500 off the line like its no ones business! I just held the brake hard and then flashed it quickly at the 2nd light before the GO light.

I think I will reduce the ET by at least another tenth with the MTCM and another tenth with just better tires. It feels very powerful off the line, but the shifts feel wacky as hell. Not firm, quick or anything. Just **** poor. I was afraid I'd burn up the clutches or something since it felt so loose. It's evident in my trap speed (102 vs 103-104).

Still not bad for a poorly shifting trans a non-lock up torque converter, along with traction issues!

I am dying to try out my stock ContiProContacts, since I was hitting 1.8 60 fts. with those tires, same as today but today it was launching VERY aggressively compared to the easy launch of the stock torque converter... I just need a fatter sidewall I think. Not to mention the Mopar TCM to really lock up the converter and tighten up/smooth out the shifts.

I saw two SRT-8's running today.. one Challenger 6.1 and a Magnum 6.1, the Chally runs 15.5@109 and the Maggie runs 14.5@98mph, wtf!?!?!?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Problems solved

Quick Reply: predictions?? 2009 RT AWD Charger mods