The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

cobra vs a zl1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:04 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
When you say SS do you mean 5th gen or 4th gen?

On the 4th gen side, they handle pretty well out of the box and a limited number of changes are needed to make them handle 'as well as they can'. Strano, BMR, Spohn, Hotchkis, MTI, UMI, Random Technology, etc (there is actually a pretty good list) all make parts.

I think because of the way they handle initially a lot of people mod elsewhere and don't really get into the suspension much unless they seriously race the cars. I road in a 4th gen LT1 on Road America that had basic suspension mods and some R comp tires that was beyond anything I could have expected. I can't even fathom how well it would do with some serious suspension mods done.

On the 5th gen end they made it IRS, complicated and the stuff is just way to expensive. It will take some time before you see a lot of mods for them IMHO.
I was speaking mostly of the 4th gens.. I think they handled pretty well, I didn't know there was such a market out there for it though, good to know.. However, I would still venture to say that a market is larger for the mustang in the handling department..

Personally I don't like the 5th gen handling, feels very awkward to me when I test drove one..
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

The mustang market embarrasses the 4th and 5th gen market combined. People LOVE their mustangs and decades of that love bred vendor choices. I'm not sure the S197 in current form needs much love though, curious to know if the 5.0 needs much in the way of suspension upgrades.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
The mustang market embarrasses the 4th and 5th gen market combined. People LOVE their mustangs and decades of that love bred vendor choices. I'm not sure the S197 in current form needs much love though, curious to know if the 5.0 needs much in the way of suspension upgrades.
Ehhh, depends on what you compare it to and what you plan with it.. They handle pretty great out of the box but I wouldn't say amazing.. The BOSS on the other hand is a beast when it comes to that.. About 1K into a GT will make it pretty stout in terms of handling..
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I went the handling route on my 98 Z28. Cost me a little bit, but there was no shortage of parts.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I went the handling route on my 98 Z28. Cost me a little bit, but there was no shortage of parts.
People underestimate what suspension and handling can do.. It can make a world of difference, even in the straight line.. No use in having all that power if you can't plant it.. I used to dismiss suspension stuff until I took a ride in a friend of mines road track car, yes I said fox, ha. He had every possible thing you could do to that chassis, and with only a 331 with HCI under the hood he was destroying vipers, porsches, m3s, you name on the track..
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
People underestimate what suspension and handling can do.. It can make a world of difference, even in the straight line.. No use in having all that power if you can't plant it.. I used to dismiss suspension stuff until I took a ride in a friend of mines road track car, yes I said fox, ha. He had every possible thing you could do to that chassis, and with only a 331 with HCI under the hood he was destroying vipers, porsches, m3s, you name on the track..
Couldn't agree more. I had most everything done, way too much to remember off the top of my head, but she handled like you wouldn't believe. I could throw that car into a turn and it wouldn't lean or sway at all. The front tires were the weak point and would let go before the rest of the car. The thing that shocked me the most was how well it would 60 on that set-up. 1.75 60s on street tires were fairly consistent. Stock bushings, bars, etc just have too much play to put the power down like it should.

I don't doubt that your buddy's Fox would wipe the floor with those high end cars. Its all in the suspension, and in a light car like a Fox, its not too hard to turn one into a track beast.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

yeah I would have never believed it without going for a ride in it.. My fox would never have been able to do what his did and I make about 100 more rwhp, ha
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Why GM, why?
all cars are getting heavier due to safty and nannies and design just how things are going look at the mustang and gt500
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

yea the mustang definatly has a bigger aftermarket, but then again its no suprise.

and the 4th gens definatly handle well. hell my 4th gen is the best handling car ive ever owned, im not sure about the 5ths b/c of all the bad things i hear about them.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomee
all cars are getting heavier due to safty and nannies and design just how things are going look at the mustang and gt500
Ford has kept it reasonable, imo. 3600ish lbs for the 5.0, only 50-100 lbs heavier than the New Edge GT, depending on the source. Chevy and Dodge have gone way over the top. My 01 SS weighs about 3450 lbs whereas the new SS is over 4k pounds. They can make a safe car without being so heavy, there's gotta be some other reason they're doing it. My wife's G35 is a 4 door, fully loaded car, curtain airbags, etc....and it weighs a tad less than my car, so its VERY doable. Why not use a lighter platform to start with and then drop a strong engine in? An LS3 in her car would be a very safe car, handle amazing, weigh around 3500 lbs, and wipe the floor with a new SS that weighs over 500lbs more. Idk, like I said, there must be some reason they do what they do, just wondering what it is.

Quick Reply: cobra vs a zl1?