The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Considering some changes, what'd she run.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Explosive

Default Considering some changes, what'd she run.

I have a goal in mind but i want some opinions as I am making some motor changes this winter while i rebuild/ or redismantle the car.

So we'll say the motor is a stock 91 302 10 over rebuild with stock rotating assembly.

AFR 165's, trick flow stg 1 cam, ultra gold roller rockers 1.6, victor jr intake, holley 750. and a 150 shot. Full MSD ignition and an electric waterpump. ( also wont have a steering pump on it)

Chassis would be something along the lines of, manual steering, team z K member, front control arms, rear control arms. full length subframes. QA1 double adjustable coil overs front and rear. Built rear axle w/spool. not sure if id want a 4.10 gear or maybe 4.30 and the interior would be totally gutted, MM bolt in roll bar and 1 drivers seat + harness. stock dash but all trim and carpet ect ect gone. fuel cell and battery in rear.

Not sure on what carb to go with. as for intakes leaning towards the victor jr over the victor at the moment. sounds the the jr is fine for my motor and ditching the air gap. Also not sure on a cam as i don't want any ptv issues. I'm running an e-cam right now. and it'll be a nice C4 not positive on convertor yet trying to decide what gears would be good too.

so lets hear some thoughts.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ditch that cam and get a custom grind, also throw some 185 heads on it it'll help it breathe when you shove that much nitrous thru it. what kind of trans work are you going to do?

assuming you have a solid trans(correct stall if auto, and if manual a driver mod) the car should be around 2500lbs or so race weight from the sounds of it with say 450whp/550ft lbs, i'd guess 10's would not be an issue under good traction circumstances.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Explosive

10's is what i'd like to see from it. Not spending more cash on another set of AFR's. Plan is to do some small stuff for the time being and eventually ( next year or the year after ) build a stroked 460 for it.

I'm just not sure about the cam carb and intake at the moment.

and it'd be a nice built C4 posssibly trans brake.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ahhh if you already have 165's then they'll work, will be fine on motor but might still choke it out a bit when you spray it however it wont be much imo. i would still spend the little extra and get a custom cam, they're only 300 bucks compared to like 200 for an over the shelf. as far as intakes/carbs i would think a vic jr and 650 would be fine. no real knowledge of carbed cars tho, that guess is just purely a guess lol.

but yeah with the car being as light as it will be i see no problems getting 10's out of it assuming around 450whp and a good trans/suspension.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Explosive

yea i've got 165's, and an e cam and a rpm air gap with a holley 670 thats never worked properly since day 1
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Explosive
yea i've got 165's, and an e cam and a rpm air gap with a holley 670 thats never worked properly since day 1
Of course, I'd recommend UPR Pro Series suspension for your chassis setup.

However, with regard to your engine situation, I'd strongly urge you to take your time here and do the right thing. Considering the fact that you already have a Carb/Cam/Intake setup but you're just not happy with it, I wouldn't upgrade those components unless you're actually going to UPGRADE those components. If I was in your shoes, I'd call or email Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction and do whatever he tells you to do. Keep in mind, this guy is a legitimate Induction expert, not just someone who knows someone who knows someone who once had a fast car. If you do exactly as he says, preferably buying your cam & intake from him, I guarantee your engine will EXCEED your expectations.

Almost ten years ago, Ed set me up with an induction combo for my stock block 306" which ran 10.17 @ 131 (on UPR suspension), and this was using unported, off-the-shelf heads & intake. The man is sharp.

Last edited by UPRSharad; 09-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Explosive

My biggest concern with the top end is PTV clearances. Wouldn't say I'm not happy with my current set up but it's pretty well known the alphabet cams are dated as hell and I don't need a dual plane intake the cars never going to see street duty again. Just looking to change it to a better 1/4 mile setup since I'm just gonna spray it. Figure if I could pick up a used victor jr for $100 and get a new cam and some lifters I would
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

that's why i suggested going custom cam. tell them you're keeping stock pistons and want to make sure you have enough ptv clearance and you wont have to do any research about what cams will fit, they'll spec one for the best power for you goals while still having enough clearance.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Explosive

Yea this is true, falls about here time to start working on it