The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

BR-Z/FR-S.. turbo!?!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Your logic is flawed.

And yes...rwd vs awd is a HUGE deal. Ones 2 door, ones 4 door besides the styling is completely different.

Its just not the same car and I honestly dont think someone looking at a awd wrx/sti would be the same as someone looking at an brz.

I see the brz as girly and would never buy one.

I would buy an sti.
Until you drive one.. I love WRXs and really enjoyed mine a lot. but the weight advantage alone of the BRZ if it were pushing 300HP would be a huge difference and make up for the AWD and destroy a base model WRX and compete with the STI.. I'm saying that one or the other will not sell.. The prices would be comparable either people like yourself will rather have the WRX (as would I) therefore limiting sales on the BRZ or people will realize the BRZ is faster and limiting sales on the WRX.. And in both circumstances they would completely erase themselves from the 25K dollar market.. The BRZ right now is to the WRX as what the V6 Mustang is to the GT. They can appeal to a wider market based on the wider price difference... Now if they can turbo it and keep it at 25K base price then we're talking.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

I wasnt saying to eliminate the non turbo version though...just make a more performance oriented version....turbo and a few other things, sell it for 30k.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I gotcha now.. I'm sure there will be a crap ton of turbo goodies coming out right away.. Boxer engines love boost.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
I gotcha now.. I'm sure there will be a crap ton of turbo goodies coming out right away.. Boxer engines love boost.
Yea, that one company already was working on a kit but I thought they said it was gonna be like 7k though.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Yea, that one company already was working on a kit but I thought they said it was gonna be like 7k though.
That sounds about right for a newly designed kit.. Give it a year and it will be 5K and many different companies will have them.. I'm sure someone's already fabricating their own kit using WRX pieces as we speak, ha..
Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Lol, what?.. The only thing that could have been more cramped or smaller than my RX7 would have been a damn coffin.. That car has to be super uncomfortable inside if that's the case..
they're within 2 inches of each other dimensionally actually. the BRZ is slightly shorter in overall length, but has a 6 inch longer wheelbase (101.2" vs 95.5"). it's also 2" - 2.5" wider than the FD3.

crazy thing is, this car will basically be Toybaru's FD3 once the STi version comes out. it's supposed to be a 250bhp N/A flat 4 opposed to the 200bhp stocker, and it should be even lighter too
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury
they're within 2 inches of each other dimensionally actually. the BRZ is slightly shorter in overall length, but has a 6 inch longer wheelbase (101.2" vs 95.5"). it's also 2" - 2.5" wider than the FD3.

crazy thing is, this car will basically be Toybaru's FD3 once the STi version comes out. it's supposed to be a 250bhp N/A flat 4 opposed to the 200bhp stocker, and it should be even lighter too
That is complete rumor.. STI belongs to the Imprezza badge and always has.. It would be like Mitsubishi coming out with a Galant EVO.. Sure they might make a more powerful version of the BRZ but it will not be badged an STI.

And it would still never compare to the RX7... The beauty of the RX7 was the handling and control you had.. The placement of the engine, the super low center of gravity, everything about it was pure sex. Not saying the BRZ wont be quick and handle well but after owning an RX7 even my WRX didn't compare handling wise.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

That is complete rumor.. STI belongs to the Imprezza badge and always has.. It would be like Mitsubishi coming out with a Galant EVO.. Sure they might make a more powerful version of the BRZ but it will not be badged an STI.

And it would still never compare to the RX7... The beauty of the RX7 was the handling and control you had.. The placement of the engine, the super low center of gravity, everything about it was pure sex. Not saying the BRZ wont be quick and handle well but after owning an RX7 even my WRX didn't compare handling wise.
numbers wise, they are within a c*nt hair. the BRZ actually has a 1/4" lower COG than the FD3 iirc.

ps, the "STi" label has been put on both the Legacy and the Forester. they can put it on any of their cars, because it's Subaru's racing division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_..._International
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury
numbers wise, they are within a c*nt hair. the BRZ actually has a 1/4" lower COG than the FD3 iirc.

ps, the "STi" label has been put on both the Legacy and the Forester. they can put it on any of their cars, because it's Subaru's racing division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_..._International
I highly doubt that but if I see numbers I will believe it..

And that is only for the foreign market and a very limited production. So I take it back that there isn't any STI but Imprezzas, since there technically is. But there aren't any in the US market or any other market except for Japan and NZ and only a couple hundred..
Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

i was wrong, BRZ has an 18 and 1/8th inch CG, FD3 is 17" CG.

length: RX7 - 168.5" BRZ - 166.9"
width: RX7 - 68.9" BRZ - 69.9"
height: RX7 - 48.8" BRZ - 50.6"
wheelbase: RX7 - 95.5" BRZ - 101.2"
weight: RX7 - 2789lbs BRZ - 2620lbs

the RX7 wins in weight distribution, 50:50 vs 53:47 for the Toybaru.

by the numbers they're pretty damn close though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BR-Z/FR-S.. turbo!?!