The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

budget racer build LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't go that route..

There is a local (89 or 97 would know him better) with an "LT1" Camaro. Has a 150K LQ4 out of a van in it. Head studs with a turbo cam, stock bottom he said. Made a turbo kit for it and is running mid 6's in the 1/8.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Key word in the title is budget...maybe hit it with the bottle?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
The nice thing about the LT1 cars is they can be had on the very cheap. Add a couple grand of H/C/I and you'll out perform LS1 cars for about the same investment. Technology is a wonderful thing and an LS3 is going to out perform a ls1 which out performs the LT1 yada yada yada. But all of those motors have decent cubic inchs working in their favor.
Ditto.. even if I don't make a ton of hp, the low end torque makes up for it. The cool thing about older motors if that you can get replacement parts at Shucks or Napa and pretty much work on it yourself and not need an engineering degree

I feel better working on a 17 year old motor with 90s technology than the latest and greatest motor.. something goes wrong I can just replace it or get an entire new motor for $800 or less..

Originally Posted by Stone629
The 7.5" rears can hold some power, it's how the power is applied that seems to break them, hence the manual guys having 90% of the failures from clutch dumps, hard shifting, etc. Autos apply a steady pressure once launched and are just easier on them. I've made quite a few 11 second 1.6-1.8 60s with no issues, no whining, etc. IMO, stick with the stock rear until/if it starts whining or breaks. Moser and strange rears are expensive.

On that stall you need to pick your cam and gear first, then have a reputable converter builder match the best stall speed/str for you. Most guys just run out and buy the biggest damn stall they can thinking its going to be that much faster and it's not. I would be sure and get a locking converter however. My trap speed shows lower than normal due to not having one. Doesn't effect the ET, but still.

If you want something that idles like the hotcam I'd go with an EPS or one of the GT cams. I've heard the hotcam isn't very effective for whatever reason.
those are some great 60 fts.

Do motive gears generally whine on those cars? I already have a member pm'ing me about some for $100. That and a driveshaft for $145.

I'll still have to read up on the best stall for those cars to match the powerband. I learned my my Charger that having it lock up is a major factor in how hard it shifts into the next gear at WOT, as well as having it drive normal on the street and not slipping so much. I dropped 0.2 alone with just locking it up with a Mopar TCM!

If I can get some decent gears, a converter and driveshaft I think I'll be pretty content with how it runs, considering it weighs 1000lbs. lighter than my Charger.. no way is it gonna run the same numbers without a little more into it but It should still be plenty of fun
Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
I wouldn't go that route..

There is a local (89 or 97 would know him better) with an "LT1" Camaro. Has a 150K LQ4 out of a van in it. Head studs with a turbo cam, stock bottom he said. Made a turbo kit for it and is running mid 6's in the 1/8.
Ebay turbo with fabricated downpipe maybe?

Originally Posted by Stone629
Key word in the title is budget...maybe hit it with the bottle?
80k miles and nitrous!?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

WTF?! I have been in contact with my insurance company and due to my past, they say the insurance is gonna be $950 on top of my $700 on my Charger every six months.. hmmm.. damn.. there goes that project )-:
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 AM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

No ebay turbo. He did all the welding himself, so if you can or know someone that can plus a junkyard motor and trans that is a budget build.