The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Had to share this...what if we could mod to this level!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Default Had to share this...what if we could mod to this level!!

This has been around for awhile..but what an awesome thought!

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow.. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4. 5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06.. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed
you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

...... and that my friends, is ACCELERATION!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That was well written and I enjoyed reading it!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Blowed&Stroked

Originally Posted by Lifter583
This has been around for awhile..but what an awesome thought!

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow.. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4. 5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06.. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed
you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

...... and that my friends, is ACCELERATION!
I agree, well written and puts things into perspective. Lol makes me feel like I'm racing on a turtle
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Interesting from that perspective, Huh?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I saw that a few years ago and loved it. I forgot about it till just now, pretty cool.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Good stuff!!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah I saw that one before but its just as impressive the second time around. The ***** it takes to drive one of those down the track are large. $1000 a second.....yikes.....thats huge money.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 AM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

Excellent read. The sheer amount of power top fuel and funny cars make is absolutely awe inspiring.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I decided to regurgitate this thread, because I wanted to add a few thoughts. I used to be a lot more active here on this sight, but from 04-06 I drove top fuel dragsters full time. Here is one thing that a lot of people don't realize. The most 'Gs' you get when driving one of these beasts is when you hit the chutes at the top end. I would get 11-12 negative 'G' forces when the chutes hit. People have asked me to describe what this feels like. It feels like this. -Get in a street car and crash it into a concrete wall going 30-35 mph. This would give you some idea of what I felt. It's hard on your organs, and can detach your retinas from your eyeballs. (Larry Dixon has had issues with this). By the way, this is an extremely good feeling, knowing you are slowing down. The shutdown procedure for me was as follows: At about the 1000' foot mark, I'd take my right hand off the butterfly wheel and reach for the chute lever. I would shove the lever forward, and reach back for the wheel, anticipating the hit of the chutes. As soon as the chutes hit, I am thrown forward so hard I can't see for a split second. I immediately bring my right hand to the brake and make sure my speed is corresponding to my shutdown length. At that moment I hit the fuel shutoff with my left hand, and the rpm raises while the motor starts to lean out. It adds hp, so you gotta be ready for it. The motor finally leans out and shuts off, and I am determining where the other car is so we don't hit each other pulling off the track. I whip around and coast the car out to a good safe spot. I am immediately out of the car to see how bad the damage is. …And yes there is almost always damaged stuff. The run gives me plenty of feedback, so I usually know what to expect when I get out of the car.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If it could be quiet and effortless sounding as an Electric car, I'd be happy with it

But then again, what's the fun it that? I don't only want to be insanely fast, but announce my presence so the entire twelve surrounding blocks can hear lol

Quick Reply: Had to share this...what if we could mod to this level!!