Go Back   MustangForums.com > Speed Zone > Street/Strip > The Racers Bench
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Default Not really sure where to put this.

I'm not really sure where to ask this question but it seems best fitting for this section. So I have a co-worker who's a Camaro fanboy and sure loves to hate on Mustangs. He owns a 1980 Z28 and he swears it's the fastest thing on the road. I'm not one to call people out since I like to watch when they hang themselves a lot better. He brags about how his car now makes 400hp after he got his engine, carburetor, and his transmission(automatic) rebuilt. He has no dyno sheets to show for it and I'm calling BS. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but knowing him I'm sure it's a lie. My question is, how can he reach 400hp with what I just listed and how much money would he have spent because we don't really have a lucrative job. Also, if I do decide to race against him with his proclaimed 400hp what would be the outcome? I have an automatic 2000 Mustang GT, Borla Catback, FRPP 4.10 gears, 91 Bama Race Tune, and a drop in K&N filter(which probably won't make much of a difference). It's funny because I overheard him talking about how his bone stock '81 4.9 Trans Am has a faster 0-60 than his Camaro which doesn't really quite add up.

PS.
I will be adding a Performance Automatic Valvebody soon.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Subbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GTO

Who knows what he has. I will tell you this, for a couple grand he could easily make 400 HP. There are so many ways he could go about it. I could throw out combos for days that would produce a 400 horse engine, for cheap
373 RWHP/373 RWTQ
12.91@111 MPH 2.1 60'
Stone629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone629 View Post
Who knows what he has. I will tell you this, for a couple grand he could easily make 400 HP. There are so many ways he could go about it. I could throw out combos for days that would produce a 400 horse engine, for cheap
This.. if the engine was rebuilt he could have 400hp... chances are he is full of crap (most people seem to be) but I would do some more fishing for info on this one. Have you looked under the hood?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
AMDanBailer
Platinum Sponsor

Vehicle: 2012 Boss 302
americanmusclefb americanmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbz View Post
I'm not really sure where to ask this question but it seems best fitting for this section. So I have a co-worker who's a Camaro fanboy and sure loves to hate on Mustangs. He owns a 1980 Z28 and he swears it's the fastest thing on the road. I'm not one to call people out since I like to watch when they hang themselves a lot better. He brags about how his car now makes 400hp after he got his engine, carburetor, and his transmission(automatic) rebuilt. He has no dyno sheets to show for it and I'm calling BS. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but knowing him I'm sure it's a lie. My question is, how can he reach 400hp with what I just listed and how much money would he have spent because we don't really have a lucrative job. Also, if I do decide to race against him with his proclaimed 400hp what would be the outcome? I have an automatic 2000 Mustang GT, Borla Catback, FRPP 4.10 gears, 91 Bama Race Tune, and a drop in K&N filter(which probably won't make much of a difference). It's funny because I overheard him talking about how his bone stock '81 4.9 Trans Am has a faster 0-60 than his Camaro which doesn't really quite add up.

PS.
I will be adding a Performance Automatic Valvebody soon.
There's really only one way to find out if he's full of crap or not! Take the talk to the track and see how you do against him. If he has 400 HP, it should be an interesting race vs your bolt on 2V!

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Paul_VS
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang V6

Tell him to get a dyno.... and if it's 400hp... you'll pay for it, if not, he pays for the dyno and gives you $1.00.
Paul_VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
88 orangepeel notch
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 notchback

400 hp out of a sbc is not hard to do, but this guy seems to be going by advertisers claims that "this cam will add 40hp" or "these headers add another 35hp". Because if a bone stock 81 Trans Am with all 160hp is faster to 60, well he's going to be really disappointed when he does strap it to a dyno.
88 orangepeel notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT

I have not looked under the hood but it doesn't seem like he's really done anything with cams because his car sounds exactly the same as before he got his engine rebuilt. As far as I know it's naturally aspirated, he only has flowmasters as far as exhaust goes, and he's keeping it CA smog legal(though he says it's unable to pass smog right now because he has to drive it around 1k miles for the seals to set properly because of the rebuild). And yeah he even said so himself that his trans am is right under 7 secs for his 0-60. Oh I forgot the best part, he claims that his car can reach 200 mph lol. I'm not really sure how he was able to measure that since his speedometer is broken. But I think I should just get him to nut up or shut up and race him to see if his claims are true. I'm still interested however in what types of combinations can make 400hp from his SBC. And thanks for the replies!
Subbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbz View Post
I have not looked under the hood but it doesn't seem like he's really done anything with cams because his car sounds exactly the same as before he got his engine rebuilt. As far as I know it's naturally aspirated, he only has flowmasters as far as exhaust goes, and he's keeping it CA smog legal(though he says it's unable to pass smog right now because he has to drive it around 1k miles for the seals to set properly because of the rebuild). And yeah he even said so himself that his trans am is right under 7 secs for his 0-60. Oh I forgot the best part, he claims that his car can reach 200 mph lol. I'm not really sure how he was able to measure that since his speedometer is broken. But I think I should just get him to nut up or shut up and race him to see if his claims are true. I'm still interested however in what types of combinations can make 400hp from his SBC. And thanks for the replies!
I'm sensing a lot of 'full of crap' here.. lol
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GTO

You'd have to be retarded to even attempt 200 mph in that old car, assuming it was even possible.

That guy sounds like one of those people that ask you how fast your car is, and when you give them the 1/4 ET, 60', etc...they look at you all confused and ask how high the speedo registers, lol.
373 RWHP/373 RWTQ
12.91@111 MPH 2.1 60'

Last edited by Stone629; 06-06-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Stone629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
88 orangepeel notch
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 notchback

+1^ well said, lol
88 orangepeel notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement