The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Not really sure where to put this.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Default Not really sure where to put this.

I'm not really sure where to ask this question but it seems best fitting for this section. So I have a co-worker who's a Camaro fanboy and sure loves to hate on Mustangs. He owns a 1980 Z28 and he swears it's the fastest thing on the road. I'm not one to call people out since I like to watch when they hang themselves a lot better. He brags about how his car now makes 400hp after he got his engine, carburetor, and his transmission(automatic) rebuilt. He has no dyno sheets to show for it and I'm calling BS. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but knowing him I'm sure it's a lie. My question is, how can he reach 400hp with what I just listed and how much money would he have spent because we don't really have a lucrative job. Also, if I do decide to race against him with his proclaimed 400hp what would be the outcome? I have an automatic 2000 Mustang GT, Borla Catback, FRPP 4.10 gears, 91 Bama Race Tune, and a drop in K&N filter(which probably won't make much of a difference). It's funny because I overheard him talking about how his bone stock '81 4.9 Trans Am has a faster 0-60 than his Camaro which doesn't really quite add up.

PS.
I will be adding a Performance Automatic Valvebody soon.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Who knows what he has. I will tell you this, for a couple grand he could easily make 400 HP. There are so many ways he could go about it. I could throw out combos for days that would produce a 400 horse engine, for cheap
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Who knows what he has. I will tell you this, for a couple grand he could easily make 400 HP. There are so many ways he could go about it. I could throw out combos for days that would produce a 400 horse engine, for cheap
This.. if the engine was rebuilt he could have 400hp... chances are he is full of crap (most people seem to be) but I would do some more fishing for info on this one. Have you looked under the hood?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Subbz
I'm not really sure where to ask this question but it seems best fitting for this section. So I have a co-worker who's a Camaro fanboy and sure loves to hate on Mustangs. He owns a 1980 Z28 and he swears it's the fastest thing on the road. I'm not one to call people out since I like to watch when they hang themselves a lot better. He brags about how his car now makes 400hp after he got his engine, carburetor, and his transmission(automatic) rebuilt. He has no dyno sheets to show for it and I'm calling BS. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but knowing him I'm sure it's a lie. My question is, how can he reach 400hp with what I just listed and how much money would he have spent because we don't really have a lucrative job. Also, if I do decide to race against him with his proclaimed 400hp what would be the outcome? I have an automatic 2000 Mustang GT, Borla Catback, FRPP 4.10 gears, 91 Bama Race Tune, and a drop in K&N filter(which probably won't make much of a difference). It's funny because I overheard him talking about how his bone stock '81 4.9 Trans Am has a faster 0-60 than his Camaro which doesn't really quite add up.

PS.
I will be adding a Performance Automatic Valvebody soon.
There's really only one way to find out if he's full of crap or not! Take the talk to the track and see how you do against him. If he has 400 HP, it should be an interesting race vs your bolt on 2V!

-Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Tell him to get a dyno.... and if it's 400hp... you'll pay for it, if not, he pays for the dyno and gives you $1.00.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

400 hp out of a sbc is not hard to do, but this guy seems to be going by advertisers claims that "this cam will add 40hp" or "these headers add another 35hp". Because if a bone stock 81 Trans Am with all 160hp is faster to 60, well he's going to be really disappointed when he does strap it to a dyno.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

I have not looked under the hood but it doesn't seem like he's really done anything with cams because his car sounds exactly the same as before he got his engine rebuilt. As far as I know it's naturally aspirated, he only has flowmasters as far as exhaust goes, and he's keeping it CA smog legal(though he says it's unable to pass smog right now because he has to drive it around 1k miles for the seals to set properly because of the rebuild). And yeah he even said so himself that his trans am is right under 7 secs for his 0-60. Oh I forgot the best part, he claims that his car can reach 200 mph lol. I'm not really sure how he was able to measure that since his speedometer is broken. But I think I should just get him to nut up or shut up and race him to see if his claims are true. I'm still interested however in what types of combinations can make 400hp from his SBC. And thanks for the replies!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subbz
I have not looked under the hood but it doesn't seem like he's really done anything with cams because his car sounds exactly the same as before he got his engine rebuilt. As far as I know it's naturally aspirated, he only has flowmasters as far as exhaust goes, and he's keeping it CA smog legal(though he says it's unable to pass smog right now because he has to drive it around 1k miles for the seals to set properly because of the rebuild). And yeah he even said so himself that his trans am is right under 7 secs for his 0-60. Oh I forgot the best part, he claims that his car can reach 200 mph lol. I'm not really sure how he was able to measure that since his speedometer is broken. But I think I should just get him to nut up or shut up and race him to see if his claims are true. I'm still interested however in what types of combinations can make 400hp from his SBC. And thanks for the replies!
I'm sensing a lot of 'full of crap' here.. lol
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You'd have to be retarded to even attempt 200 mph in that old car, assuming it was even possible.

That guy sounds like one of those people that ask you how fast your car is, and when you give them the 1/4 ET, 60', etc...they look at you all confused and ask how high the speedo registers, lol.

Last edited by Stone629; 06-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1^ well said, lol

Quick Reply: Not really sure where to put this.