The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Cbraspd SVT

(This is Malloy for the record)

Steves car is lowered with relocation brackets by Steeda and the srpings are very stiff and sits alot lower than stock so weight transfer is minimized and nothing like stock. That has to hurt the first 30ft for sure. He pulled a 2.0 60ft which isnt great by any means however if he managed a 1.8 thats -2 tenths and he would still be at only a 12.7 which tells us something else is wrong. The air was thick and we witnessed many non-nitrous cars running slower than normal. Even the announcer was talking to us about how bad the air quality was that day. His shifts were clean too. With his traps lower than normal Im thinking loss in power up top someway somehow. True the first 60 ft are extremely important. They dont call it a hole-shot for nothing.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Two more tenths would drop that 12.95 down closer to a 12.5-12.6 easy (better air should put him in the low 12s on that 60' as we previously predicted). It would give him more up top too, but not enough to justify a 108 trap. Even in bad air, a 420 RWHP car should be all over 114 mph at least....could be the car, could be something the driver is doing. Might pay to run it back by the tuner and make sure it's getting along ok with the new VORTECH.

I really think some practice and better air will make all the difference

Last edited by Stone629; 10-08-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

60's are for crap

even lowered 1.6x-1.7s are possible, I did it on my 06GT.

I agree there's a issue with power - that trap yields about 340-350 whp based on a 3750-3800 weight.

how much boost are you pullied for? may make sense to strap it down for a few pulls to check boost/AFR/RWHP
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
I'd feel bad too, but blue hit it on the head with his reply. Trap speed should be much higher. How long did you let the car cool between runs? Crappy air hurts but not that much.
about an hour between each run

Originally Posted by Stone629
Steve, I am your buddy Malloy's cousin, Trey. We were all supposed to meet up at the track the other Friday when they unexpectedly closed and moved TNT to Sundays...anyway, he was texting me all day Sunday about your runs. Although he was saying it was the clutch and/or a boost leak, none of it added up. Your launch could definitely use some work. You are slipping the clutch wayyy too much on the launch and getting little to no weight transfer for one. Even without the blower, your car should be able to pull a 1.9 or better on drag radials. You also gotta start going around that water box and keeping the front tires dry as to not track water ahead of your rears. Fayettenam gets happy with that hose sometimes and spray water all over hell and back. Go around the best you can and back into the water. Spin them over once or twice in the water box, then pull forward out of the box and do a standing burnout for 3-4 seconds at least. Those Nittos need a lot of heat to work best. The only other thing I saw was that you really need to get off that clutch a little faster. I think a combination of those two things will get you a 1.7-1.8 60' and help your trap. I say trap because you are losing a lot of acceleration room by rolling off the line like that. The whole slip is dictated by that first 60', screw that part up and you might as well shut it down and pull back around for another try.

As for the trap, that could be a few things other than the launch, but I guess the first question to ask is what RPM are you shifting at? My car is trapping 118 with about 370 rwhp. You should be running at least that fast across the line..
Hey bud, thx for the feedback. I am shifting just passed red line which is 6K, so maybe about 6200. You don't think it could be boost leak?

Originally Posted by Stkjock
60's are for crap

even lowered 1.6x-1.7s are possible, I did it on my 06GT.

I agree there's a issue with power - that trap yields about 340-350 whp based on a 3750-3800 weight.

how much boost are you pullied for? may make sense to strap it down for a few pulls to check boost/AFR/RWHP
10psi

Last edited by Stkjock; 10-09-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: merging consecutive posts -damn bro use the multi quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
Hey bud, thx for the feedback. I am shifting just passed red line which is 6K, so maybe about 6200. You don't think it could be boost leak?
I would take it up to 6500 if you can, what rpm did they set your rev limiter? I know on my 3V Fastlane set it at 6800, but that was an NA car so...

Very well could be a leak, but I would try a few things before assuming a mechanical issue just yet. I think a better 60', better air, and some higher rpm shifts will result in some low-low 12s.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I would take it up to 6500 if you can, what rpm did they set your rev limiter? I know on my 3V Fastlane set it at 6800, but that was an NA car so...

Very well could be a leak, but I would try a few things before assuming a mechanical issue just yet. I think a better 60', better air, and some higher rpm shifts will result in some low-low 12s.
I am at work right now, but if i remember right, the last time i looked at the dyno sheet, it was about 6400 RPM which what i was trying to shift at. I am taking the car to them next Tuesday to move around the pipes so the bottom one stops scraping and possibly causing the leak, they also checking to see if power is still there.

It could be my driving, I am used to the stock suspension, street tires and NA. This is the last run before the procharger and it was 12.8 at a 108

Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't blame it much on the da. it was bad, around 2000, but the da calculator only corrects it to a 12.7@109. I think Trey hit it on the head of the starts. When I tried launching my car like that earlier this summer, the clutch got super hot and by the 3rd run it was slipping up top. Could be an option of what yours is doing. But my cars making quite a bit more torque.

Even being lowered, I've seen many s197's leave much harder than that. a high 1.6 is deff possible on the right tire/technique. That alone would be worth a 12.3~. The trap could be quite the combination, of early shifts(post a dyno sheet and we'll tell you when to shift), riding the clutch/clutch slip, and bad temps. Sounds like the shifts are good. Gotta do a much better burnout tho. doing what you're doing is basically just cleaning them off, you need to get them warm.

I guess I'm against the general conscensus that something mechanical is wrong with the car(other than possibly clutch). but I doubt you've got a boost leak. Altho putting it back on the dyno just to verify boost and such isn't a bad idea.

On a dr and assuming 430whp/3800ish lbs I'd say your car should be in the 11.9-12.2 area at 115~

Good thing you didn't end up having to line up next to Trey. Woulda got ugly real quick haha.

Last edited by ctgreddy; 10-09-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Your DA at it's worst was 2075 ft. Even DA corrected for N/A engines it only gets you to 12.5@109 (For s/c engines its 12.7@107, although that calculation isn't quite right, because it depends on how much boost you are using, I'd guess like 7 or 9 psi right? so somewhere between those, 12.6@108 is likely closer to correct)

You are way down on power, that's for sure.. probably closer to 315whp. Bluebeast is probably right.. I don't think your stock clutch would be an issue at 430whp, plenty of people have ran great times on the stock clutch.
Thanks! I was just getting ready to look it up and post and realized you beat me to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy

(post a dyno sheet and we'll tell you when to shift), .
Will do as soon as possible
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Well the good news is your builder shouldn't have an issue strapping it on a dyno and seeing if your still making the same power. I can tell you from experience that any time you ad power one of the first things to crap out is the clutch so start saving up.

Quick Reply: what could be wrong?