The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default what could be wrong?

I took my car to the track today and could barely break into the 12s . I was running low 13s all day. Weather was hot at 90+ degrees plus was very humid.

My car is running a P1 pro charger, making 430RWHP . I ran 12.8 with boltons, stock suspension and street tires. Now iam putting down that power, upgraded suspension and Drag radials and my best was a 12.9 at a 107 .

My friend said it could be a combination of weak clutch ( stock clutch, possibly original), bad weather and possibly leaking boost since the down pipe keeps scraping in my drive way. I did fix that and had it tightened but it is possible that its leaking boost.

maybe my driving skills got really bad all of the sudden? I thought my shifts were quick, but i hope i was shifting at the right RPM, iam shifting just passed redline.

I feel really bad, i thought i was gonna be at low to mid 12s easily .

here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvT2E...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM
MZRSPEED3
2nd Gear Member

Can you post a slip? Trap speed seems way low for your power.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MZRSPEED3
Can you post a slip? Trap speed seems way low for your power.
yea no doubt

Name:  7d04438e-db2b-479c-b008-3cfaf58b58dc_zps5937e163.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.0 KB
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Theres no way your making 430 to the wheels and running those times. I run better times with my wifes Camaro ss with alot less power (about 370whp.) in a much heavier car on street tires. Alot of things to check for on your car. Belt slippage on the super charger. Tune isn't right and your pulling timing. Check your intercooler piping for leaks if you have a cooler. Also if your on Drag Radials. You should be able to cut youe sixty to a 1.6-1.7. How much air pressure are you running in your tires and are you getting a good burnout before launching?

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 10-08-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Theres no way your making 430 to the wheels and running those times. I run better times with my wifes Camaro ss with alot less power (about 370whp.) in a much heavier car on street tires. Alot of things to check for on your car. Belt slippage on the super charger. Tune isn't right and your pulling timing. Check your intercooler piping for leaks if you have a cooler. Also if your on Drag Radials. You should be able to cut youe sixty to a 1.6-1.7. How much air pressure are you running in your tires and are you getting a good burnout before launching?
Friend suspected boost leak, The last run i did a burnout and hooked pretty good, no spin throughout the run.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
This...I did 109.3 mph when I made 324rwhp and I doubt OPs car is much lighter than 3560lbs (race weight).

Something is definitely not right. DA being crap will hurt you but I just can't see it hitting you that bad. Track name? Date and time?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
This...I did 109.3 mph when I made 324rwhp and I doubt OPs car is much lighter than 3560lbs (race weight).

Something is definitely not right. DA being crap will hurt you but I just can't see it hitting you that bad. Track name? Date and time?
fayetteville motor speedway, 10/5/2013 , time was 1pm to 5 pm

It was really hot and Humid, bad weather for racing, but it shouldn't be this bad at all
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Your DA at it's worst was 2075 ft. Even DA corrected for N/A engines it only gets you to 12.5@109 (For s/c engines its 12.7@107, although that calculation isn't quite right, because it depends on how much boost you are using, I'd guess like 7 or 9 psi right? so somewhere between those, 12.6@108 is likely closer to correct)

You are way down on power, that's for sure.. probably closer to 315whp. Bluebeast is probably right.. I don't think your stock clutch would be an issue at 430whp, plenty of people have ran great times on the stock clutch.

Last edited by Mishri; 10-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'd feel bad too, but blue hit it on the head with his reply. Trap speed should be much higher. How long did you let the car cool between runs? Crappy air hurts but not that much.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Steve, I am your buddy Malloy's cousin, Trey. We were all supposed to meet up at the track the other Friday when they unexpectedly closed and moved TNT to Sundays...anyway, he was texting me all day Sunday about your runs. Although he was saying it was the clutch and/or a boost leak, none of it added up. Your launch could definitely use some work. You are slipping the clutch wayyy too much on the launch and getting little to no weight transfer for one. Even without the blower, your car should be able to pull a 1.9 or better on drag radials. You also gotta start going around that water box and keeping the front tires dry as to not track water ahead of your rears. Fayettenam gets happy with that hose sometimes and spray water all over hell and back. Go around the best you can and back into the water. Spin them over once or twice in the water box, then pull forward out of the box and do a standing burnout for 3-4 seconds at least. Those Nittos need a lot of heat to work best. The only other thing I saw was that you really need to get off that clutch a little faster. I think a combination of those two things will get you a 1.7-1.8 60' and help your trap. I say trap because you are losing a lot of acceleration room by rolling off the line like that. The whole slip is dictated by that first 60', screw that part up and you might as well shut it down and pull back around for another try.

As for the trap, that could be a few things other than the launch, but I guess the first question to ask is what RPM are you shifting at? My car is trapping 118 with about 370 rwhp. You should be running at least that fast across the line..

Quick Reply: what could be wrong?