The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

track night

Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Default track night

So last night was the second time ive ever been to the track. Showed up, got checked in and staged and waited my turn. First pull went really well. Not my best reaction time but I did good...until I pasted the first checkered flags. I usually ease off and coast after I past the line, but I kept it floored. Well, I felt a weird jerk, then felt and heard what sounded like dirt and mud falling off the bottom of the car. My car shut off, and white smoke filled out from under my hood. I managed to get it around the track corner and by the ticket booth and pulled it into the grass. My buddy was behind me and we popped my hood to find everything soaked in coolant. My engine turned over and never overheated would run, but not stay on. Long story short, belt ripped apart at 90mph and knocked my radiator hose off and then promptly broke off the pigtail on the maf sensor on my bbk cai. Luckily was able to get a belt same day and installed it. Car would not stay on with out that maf sensor though, and driving it the 100 yards to where our group was, was horrible. If I even eased up on the throttle, the car died. Im glad I have friends who had a truck and vehicle trailer. We loaded it up and its sitting under my carport now. Have to buy a new maf sensor. Hopefully that's all thats wrong. We didnt see any other damage to anything and car turns over just fine.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sucks that you had a belt let go and do some damage.....but it could have been so much worse. You could have had blown the motor or hit the wall.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Better luck next time! You might check junkyards for new MAF sensor.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Ya I lucked out. I have to wait till Tuesday to get a new maf sensor. I have a friend who works at Autozone and he got one ordered for me. Engine seems okay. I filled my coolant reservoir up and everything holds. Like I said, I never overheated, just thay maf sensor being broke, car wont stay on. Hopefully thats all thats wrong. At least that what my mechanic and mustang buddies tell me lol. I guess it was bound to happen. Shouldve changed my belt when I changed my alternator. If it didnt happen at the track, it probably wouldve happened while driving on the highway. Will keep posted after I get the new sensor.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear only minimal damage, as stated above, could have been alot worse.