The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Trading SS for 392 Scat Pack.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:10 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Default Trading SS for 392 Scat Pack.

Thinking about trading the wife's L99 SS for the new 2015 RT 392 scat pack. The car looks like a straight line beast with 485Hp and 475 torque. 3.90 gears. Both cars weigh about the same 4200 pounds. Only down side I can see is the RT rides on skinny tires compared to the SS. Been doing a little research and I'm pretty syched about getting basically a SRT-8 for SS money.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Good call. The 392 Scat Pack's are a great performance bargain that seems to have been getting a lot less publicity than the HellCat's. The 8 speeds are much better, the new motor is 15hp more than the outgoing model and I believe the driveshafts are also new (no more of the Benz's left over parts with the rubber couplers on each end!) and better half shafts as well. Some drag dials, a custom tune and its should be right at mid to high 11's trapping pretty good as well (116-118mph)

A few guys have already ran 11.8's with the auto, drag radials and outdated NAG1.

I posted this before, but it's simply so bad *** I had to re-post!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

We'll probably order ours this Friday. The only options were looking at is the 8 speed auto and the appearance package. (shaker cold air intake, forged wheels and few exterior mods like flat black strips starting at the middle of the hood and running to the trunk. I expect low 12s stock no problem in nice cool air at Atco. Here's a photo of the exact package.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 08-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Great choice with the appearance package set up. I went base on my Charger and wish I gone for more all the time!

That car's gonna kick some *** man.. Congrats!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:46 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Dodge has started being competitive so late but damn they're doing it good! The hellcat's awesome and this is the first I've been hearing about this car. Pretty bad ***!

The only thing I hate about the modern hemi's is the smoke on start up. Literally every car that's been thru my work will smoke on start up at times, and it's a good bit of smoke. Not sure if they put junk valve seals in or if it's a design flaw or what. Just weird. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, or how much/few miles are on it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Production cars, yes, but their platforms have always had a very strong aftermarket backing. They're just expensive to mod and not a lot of people choose them except for die hard Mopar guys. Been lurking on the HEMI site for a few years, they have some impressive builds!

You think the smoke is bad, they all start to tick after awhile due to the lifers and their position in relation to the heads... or something like that, I forget. Does not effect the motor performance, it's just loud.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Say what? I've never smoked on startup lol... Even with two blown pistons haha. Same goes for the Hemi tick, always hear people complain about the hemi tick but even with long tubes I never heard it on my car.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Say what? I've never smoked on startup lol... Even with two blown pistons haha. Same goes for the Hemi tick, always hear people complain about the hemi tick but even with long tubes I never heard it on my car.
you must have got a good one then lol. We have a jeep srt8 in right now that's really bad. Every time if it's been sitting more than an hour or two, big puff of blueish smoke. and it's only got 19k on it.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Couldn't be a head gasket with those miles on it. Never heard of them smoking on start up being a normal issue though.. just the Hemi tick. The older ones are known to drop valve seats though and take out pistons when over heated. They're pretty reliable overall..
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'd keep modding the SS imo. The SRT or Scat pack are virtually the same car, but a friend of mine bought an SRT Chally when they first released the 6.4. We have been track buddies for years, but anyway he got so frustrated with his SRT that he traded it within 4 months of having it for an SS due to not hooking, under performing, etc. He kept the SS until it ran mid-high 11s, high teen traps, with bolt-ons and a cam, then bought a 2012 GT500. Still has that one. Just throwing this example out there to point out that those heavy Challys are tough cars to get hooked up and moving. I know the hellcat is doing work, but thats a whole different car. At any rate, they are still bad *** cars and I'm sure it'll be a blast to play with. Good luck BB!

Quick Reply: Trading SS for 392 Scat Pack.