The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Paxton vs Twin Screw?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 PM
wishinsky
2nd Gear Member

Default Paxton vs Twin Screw?

My question is on the following setups trying to stay close to 600rwhp, same gears, same tires, same everything that can be. Pitted against each other for a all out race to 155 what do you guys think would be the outcome

Ford Racing Performance Supercharger
Vs
Boss 302 Intake with a Paxton Supercharger

Would the Higher revs give the Boss/Paxton the advantage on such a long race? Would the low end torque of the Ford Racing unit be enough for the Paxton not to be able to run it down?

I wish I knew people in the area so I could ride in each of the two kinds. Maybe when Mustang week 2015 rolls around I will be able to.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If the peak RWHP is equal between them, then the twin screw will win, since it hits and holds peak HP through a wider power band.

The issue is that usually the RWHP is not equal, the centrifugal supercharger will usually be peaked higher in a higher RPM, and hte twin screw will be peaked lower but with a wider power band, in which case it would be a drivers race on who shifted better for their version of forced induction.
Rear gears would also come into play, someone with 4.10's might not have enough gear to even hit 155, where someone with a really low gear ratio(3.08 or something like that) may be able to hit it without going into overdrive.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd give the edge to the centrifugal since a blower like the ProCharger is typically more efficient than a PD blower.

People tend to point out the low rpm boost of a PD blower, but Coyotes typically stay between around 5500-7000 rpms while racing. At that range, the low rpm boost differential is a moot point. I should have my ProCharged Coyote at MW15. Maybe we can arrange a ride along.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Sharad... He stated that the theoretical RWHP was the same at 600, therefore, the efficiency doesn't matter, it's all about where and how long the power curve is, and which supercharger is above the line of the other.

They will both be at 600RWHP at redline, but the positive displacement will have a 50RWHP advantage at the 4K RPM level (400RWHP vs 350RWHP), and halfway to redline from 4K the Positive displacement will still have about a 25RWHP advantage (525RWHP vs. 500RWHP).
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 PM
wishinsky
2nd Gear Member

Yeah this is a Hard one, I guess the centrifugal is more efficient and has a lot of potential. But if both are limited to fixed HP I see how the PD has a advantage of a fuller power band... That's where I was curious with the Boss Manifold being able to come into play. Is 750 RPM more that much of a difference...?

Sharad a Ride would be more then Awesome! It would give me a great feel of how the coyote feels with boost!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

We'll have to make that happen.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 PM
DJ300x

A centrifugal sc will be more efficient and will take less power from your engine to run. a twin screw will give you much better low end-mid range power. I personally prefer a roots or a twin screw supercharger over a centrifugal. for 1/4 mile drag racing, get the twin screw. for cruising around town or 1/2+ mile races, go with the procharger.

p.s. I have an eaton TVS in my Jet Ski and the acceleration Is unmatched by any centrifugal sc'd boat/ski I have raced.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:22 AM
wishinsky
2nd Gear Member

That's another part of personally problems which brought me to asking this question. I am not much of a 1/4 mile guy since I don't go to the strip. I find a lot of my races on the Interstates or even the fact that I like to run my car flat out for miles at a time on back roads home. If I did visit a track I would like to Road course race over the strip I want my Rush to last longer then 12 seconds! I think I still lean on the TVS side of the Chargers for my preference.

Last edited by wishinsky; 01-09-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wishinsky
My question is on the following setups trying to stay close to 600rwhp, same gears, same tires, same everything that can be. Pitted against each other for a all out race to 155 what do you guys think would be the outcome

Ford Racing Performance Supercharger
Vs
Boss 302 Intake with a Paxton Supercharger

Would the Higher revs give the Boss/Paxton the advantage on such a long race? Would the low end torque of the Ford Racing unit be enough for the Paxton not to be able to run it down?
All else being equal, the Twin screw supercharger set-up would win because with its higher torque output at low/medium rpm, it would launch faster and pull harder through the gears.
The Boss 302/centrifugal is a higher revving set-up that won't really get into its stride until you're past 4000rpm, so it's better to swap in shorter axle gears for that to make use of the higher rpm capability and compensate for the relatively weaker torque at lower rpm.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Explosive

As far as drag racing is concerned I'd take the Centri over a PD blower.

Quick Reply: Paxton vs Twin Screw?