The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Got another LS1

Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Yea I wouldn't hack or up either. I wouldn't mess with an lt1 either, they can be a nightmare just to get tuned right and are generally a pita. Find you a cheaper ls1 like I did. I only paid $3500 for mine with 135k miles and most bolt ons done. I'm going to see how close to 11s I can get with the mods I have, weight reduction, gears, and tires. It's been done, so I'd like to try. As for your car, 3.73s, a stall, and some DRs on ZR1s equal this...
Attached Thumbnails Got another LS1-image.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 03:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto.. bad thing about having a clean car is you end up wanting to keep it as so lol

One bad *** SS you had there sir.. I feel your pain for letting it go!! That bad boys launches!

I'll keep my eyes peeled but honestly this is the first LS1 I seen for sale. Ever up here. Most others were far and few between the years, they're like unicorns lol
Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Its all about enjoying your car. Whether it be a cruiser, street/strip car, show car, or all out drag, just do what you want with it. Thats crazy how different the LS1 population is up there. Down here they are all over craigslist, (try a NC search for LS1s, its crazy) although not that many seen on the street. I may see 2 a week, and I live in a very populated area with heavy traffic. Plenty of 3.8s, but not many LS cars actually being driven.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:39 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Its all about enjoying your car. Whether it be a cruiser, street/strip car, show car, or all out drag, just do what you want with it. Thats crazy how different the LS1 population is up there. Down here they are all over craigslist, (try a NC search for LS1s, its crazy) although not that many seen on the street. I may see 2 a week, and I live in a very populated area with heavy traffic. Plenty of 3.8s, but not many LS cars actually being driven.
Ditto.. I have always wanted one in the worst way, maybe it's a blessing in disguise because all the cars I modded in the past, I either wrecked or sold lol
I have to say, I love the Z28! It's slick. I can't wait to at least do a tune and true dual exhaust to make it sounds as great as it looks.

Car culture is strange up here. Older guys are loaded from the oil companies and their kids are running around in GT-R's and new Vette's lol Something like the LS1 are kept away for the summer and the owner cling onto them with dear life. I have only seen three for sale in the past 15-20 years. WS6's pop up every now and then but even those are rare. Mustang's galore though lol

I just got back from California and Arizona, cruising Craigslist down there I seen a ton of LS1's for like $4k!? I wouldn't mind a 3.8 for a daily driver to keep the miles down on the LS1 as well as speeding tickets at bay

I took your advice about hitting the throttle to make the rear end dip, let it grab and then nail it.. it works real well! Gonna try it out tomorrow at Points day.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:01 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Hey Stone, you mentioned building up an LS1 for boost costs an arm and a leg, but what about just dropping in a forged rotating assembly & dropping the compression with the intent of running boost?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Hey Stone, you mentioned building up an LS1 for boost costs an arm and a leg, but what about just dropping in a forged rotating assembly & dropping the compression with the intent of running boost?
You're looking at several thousand dollars to do that. If you build it yourself, you might be able to get it done for less than $3k, but you'd need to really shop around for a deal on the parts. I wouldn't do that. Find yourself a 4.8 or 5.3 and just drop it in. Keep your current LS1 stored somewhere safe so you can always return your car back to its original matching parts if you ever want to. Guy here locally texted me Friday that he'd take $500 for a 4.8 he has for sale. Thats $500 for an engine that can be dropped right in, turbo'd, and rock out 6-700rwhp pretty reliably. If it ever did let go, it's a $500 motor, lol.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

You're looking at several thousand dollars to do that. If you build it yourself, you might be able to get it done for less than $3k, but you'd need to really shop around for a deal on the parts. I wouldn't do that. Find yourself a 4.8 or 5.3 and just drop it in. Keep your current LS1 stored somewhere safe so you can always return your car back to its original matching parts if you ever want to. Guy here locally texted me Friday that he'd take $500 for a 4.8 he has for sale. Thats $500 for an engine that can be dropped right in, turbo'd, and rock out 6-700rwhp pretty reliably. If it ever did let go, it's a $500 motor, lol.
what makes the 4.8 and 5.3 so durable to boost? I am thinking lower compression and higher top ring lands? I cant imagine they're forged rods?
What's your opinion on the 6.0 we were talking about in a previous post? I just don't want to drop any in displacement. I'd gladly drop in a 6.0 if it was a true drop in engine, mounts right up etc. and for $1,500 lol. I'd just bench build that bitch and be alllll goooood
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks for saving me a ton of money.. I think I know how to proceed (LQ4 build!)

I wanna do some more research, but I am thinking heads/cam/headers/LS6 intake manifold... stock gearing, 3200 stall.. maybe get a Posi in there..
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

DO IT!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto. I was looking at typical bolt on's for the LS1 and it started adding up quickly.. Kooks Long tubes, Corsa Cat-back, LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, T Rex Cam, Yank 3800 converter etc. etc. I could just build up a 6.0 LQ4 on a stand and then drop it in, make lot more HP for less $$$ than a full bolt on LS1!

I got sheet ton of maintenance first though, so.. yeah.. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got another LS1