Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Added CAI & timing and lost performance

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Default Added CAI & timing and lost performance

I'll start off by saying I've been running the Bamatunes SCT SF3 with the stock air box & K&N filter, 4.10's and some Flowmasters on the 93 octane Performance tune. I am a radar technician and ran a quick before/after test which I found to be surprising.

Testing was done on the same day, same temperature, same road surface and WOT starting point.

I first tested my 30-50 and 30-70 mph time in 3rd gear with the stock air box, k&n box filter, 30.5 degrees total timing (default for that tune) during WOT and got 3.08 seconds 30-50 mph and 5.97 seconds 30-70 mph.

I then installed the Steeda CAI with high flow elbow and had Bamatunes send another tune modified for the Steeda CAI. I then added +2 global spark and retested. My 30-50 mph went to 3.20 seconds and 30-70 mph went to 6.26 seconds. I checked the datalogs during the runs, it showed no timing was pulled (32.5 all the way during WOT), MAF wasn't pegged and fuel rail pressure looked good.

Any idea what is going on?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Why would you add 2* of spark on top of a tune developed by professional tuners?

Just because it didn't knock, doesn't mean that it liked the extra timing

Keep in mind, the reason their tunes are popular, is because they have done the homework and tested to see what works, there is no way you are going to blindly make some changes and improve upon what they have done.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

I second this, take that timing back out and do the test again.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Why would you add 2* of spark on top of a tune developed by professional tuners?
The same reason people add a few extra grains of gun powder when reloading, overclock their CPU that extra little bit, pull the rip cord a few hundred feet lower, brake into the turn a bit later, etc. As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "POWER!!!!!!!!!".

Just because it didn't knock, doesn't mean that it liked the extra timing

Keep in mind, the reason their tunes are popular, is because they have done the homework and tested to see what works, there is no way you are going to blindly make some changes and improve upon what they have done.
In all fairness and truth of course, they absolutely know what they are doing when it comes to cars and tunes, plus I am no mechanic. My hopes were that it would add more power. I was under the impression more timing = more power up until the point of detonation, then back it off a little. I was hoping they tuned it a tiny bit conservatively since I'm in Texas and since it gets up to 110F from time to time and set the timing to avoid knock under all of those conditions.

I'll try with the default 93p tune they sent me and see how it goes. I'll get another run tonight and see how the numbers match up.

In the event they are the same or lower, any idea what could be going on?
I just want more vroom and trying to find out why things are doing what they are doing (good or bad). Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

If it does not improve with the base tune they sent, get a good datalog of it at WOT and they'll be able to dial it in perfectly.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

New data is in. Same conditions as before but with the 93p they sent, no adjustments on my part.

Stock air box, K&N filter, 93P tune:
30-50 mph = 3.08 seconds
30-70 mph = 5.97 seconds

Steeda CAI 93P tune +2 Global advance:
30-50 mph = 3.20 seconds
30-70 mph = 6.26 seconds

Steeda CAI 93P tune:
30-50 mph = 3.29 seconds
30-70 mph = 6.35 seconds

Last edited by speedycpu; 12-01-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: adding graph of data collected via radar
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Street and Race tune runs added.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Another update. Contacted Bamatunes who were extremely helpful and I sent them a datalog so we can see what is going on.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

They'll get you going

Id try to get to a dragstrip, its gotta be tough to calculate this precisely.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

They'll get you going

Id try to get to a dragstrip, its gotta be tough to calculate this precisely.
I can get the precise calculations with radar, but, I want to take as many variables out of the equation as possible. A drag strip is nice, but that introduces variables such as traction and my shifting (both of which aren't stellar).

It would be nice to run to the end of 3rd gear because it would be sucking the most air in at that point, but, due to safety concerns in my test location I can't/won't do that. It is a work test location but close to 100 mph is pushing it with my stock brakes and stock brakes are lacking to put it mildly. Brakes are one of the many things on my list of upgrades so I'll be able to get that data at some point, hopefully after the holidays are over and see where things stand financially.

Anyway, I just want to say I still love that Steeda CAI. It looks awesome, makes the car sound awesome and I can't wait to get everything sorted out.

By the way, I can't believe how small of an intake square the stock box has. The Pepsi can is for size comparison.

Garbage->

Awesome->

Last edited by speedycpu; 12-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added CAI & timing and lost performance