Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Questions using SCT SF3/X3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Default Questions using SCT SF3/X3 ??

Hi, Everyone.

When you connect an SCT tuner for the first time it uploads the stock file. Now is that stock file stored for good in the tuner or does it upload it every time the tuner is connected?

A little backgorund. I have a 2005 Gt Auto. Last night I connected the SCT X3/SF3 for the first time and while uploading the stock tune I recieved the following warning messages;

check trac control
check charging sytem
fule level odo data err

When it completed I ran the 91R tune from BAMA. Followed the included instructions and proceeded to install my JLT series 3. Finished up and started up. Idled and died a couple times. It was getting late and I had to be somewhere so I swapped on the stock intake and connected the tuner to return to stock. While programing the tune the same warning messages appeared. When the tuner completed the messages went away but my gas gauge moved erraditically to the full position. From what I can tell it is runs fine althoug I did not drive it.

I proabably installed the intake incorrectly and will try again today after work. I am doing my research to get some ideas from the forums on whether these messages are typical or if it has ever happened to anyone. Please chime in and let me know what you think.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

When you load a custom tune for the first time, it will save the stock file.

DOuble check that you secured the MAF correct.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Make sure there are no leaks with the CAI. As for the warning messages, I never had anything like that happen. You had the car on "On #1" and not actually have the car running? Did you purchase the tuner brand new?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Make sure there are no leaks with the CAI. As for the warning messages, I never had anything like that happen. You had the car on "On #1" and not actually have the car running? Did you purchase the tuner brand new?
Lol...no the car was on the "on #1" and not actually started. As for the idling and dieng may be a leak or even the MAF maybe backwards?? Im going to install correctly after work. One thing I noticed is the MAF sensor does not sit flush with the new JLT tube. Directions say snug the screws but it takes a little more to make it seal to the tube.

Im concerned about the warning messages while the tune is uploading or programing and really concernend about the gas gauge acting crazy.

I am contacting SCT to see what they think.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

And I purchased it new from AM.com in the JLT3/Tuner combo pack.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Ok so I reinstalled, everything tight and good to go, also programed the tune that came with my tuner combo. While uploading the stock tune and downloading the 91r tune I still got the error messages on the dash. They went away when the tune was complete and loaded. Still have the crazy gas gauge on the dash.

So the MAF sensor was installed correctly, all clamps were tight, and hoses connected. With the tune the car starts, the RPMs jump to 1500 then calm down to about 750 and just sputters until it dies which is about 8-10 seconds. Maybe my tune isnt correct. I have the Bama tunes and Im pretty sure I filled it out the online form correctly...hopefully. Im gonna order another tune. Im gonna call SCT anyways first thing in the morning to see whats up with the gas gauge on the dash.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1SickSaleen
Ok so I reinstalled, everything tight and good to go, also programed the tune that came with my tuner combo. While uploading the stock tune and downloading the 91r tune I still got the error messages on the dash. They went away when the tune was complete and loaded. Still have the crazy gas gauge on the dash.

So the MAF sensor was installed correctly, all clamps were tight, and hoses connected. With the tune the car starts, the RPMs jump to 1500 then calm down to about 750 and just sputters until it dies which is about 8-10 seconds. Maybe my tune isnt correct. I have the Bama tunes and Im pretty sure I filled it out the online form correctly...hopefully. Im gonna order another tune. Im gonna call SCT anyways first thing in the morning to see whats up with the gas gauge on the dash.
I have an 06 GT with the same with tuner you have, I also get those messages when the in the programming phase. I figured it was normal and I haven't had any problems with anything sticking (like the gas gauge).

Right after I load a new tune in it asks to turn off the key, then I turn the key to the position just before start because otherwise it cranks over for 3-4 seconds. If I let it sit in that mode for that first start for a few seconds (I guess to build fuel pressure) it will fire right up, rpms go to 1500 and settle down. You could try going into the adjustment options and setting your idles to 790 or so and see if that helps. I checked mine and they are set to 740, no problems.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 AM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedycpu
I have an 06 GT with the same with tuner you have, I also get those messages when the in the programming phase. I figured it was normal and I haven't had any problems with anything sticking (like the gas gauge).

Right after I load a new tune in it asks to turn off the key, then I turn the key to the position just before start because otherwise it cranks over for 3-4 seconds. If I let it sit in that mode for that first start for a few seconds (I guess to build fuel pressure) it will fire right up, rpms go to 1500 and settle down. You could try going into the adjustment options and setting your idles to 790 or so and see if that helps. I checked mine and they are set to 740, no problems.
I googled some searches and have found some various forum threads where some say they get the same messages. But i doubt that is normal. I contacted SCT. They have been super attentive and responded quickly. I need to get them my tune and stock file. Unfortunately I had to work all friday and I only have a mac computer...haha. So I am using a family members PC to do this and load a new tune I got from bama. The tune I used (which I am assuming is the problem as far as my car not running with the intake) is from my initial purchase of the tuner/intake combo. When it arrived I noticed a printout that came with the tuner listed my airbox as stock. Wouldnt the JLT constitute "non-stock". Since then, I have put on JBA LT's (what a PITA) and and O/R h pipe. Anyways, I will try my updated tune tomorrow and hopefully all works.

And I hope SCT can figure out the gas gauge issue. Thanks so far to everyone who has read and responded.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Just shoot AM a call tomorrow and they will help ya out...
Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 PM
1SickSaleen
1st Gear Member

Default Its Alive!!!

Originally Posted by Franchi
Just shoot AM a call tomorrow and they will help ya out...
No need anymore. I loaded my new tune and installed my JLT3 and it runs and drives good. Definitely takes some getting used to. Pedal is really touchy now.

My gas level gauge is still wacky. I filled up the tank and now my needle is at 4 o' clock. If I can figure how to upload a pic, ill post it. I sent SCT my stock file and hopefully they can figure it out tomorrow.