Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

BBK CAI

Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Default BBK CAI

Hey all, I just purchased a BBK CAI, I have yet to install it but after reading the reviews on it (which were very consistently high) I felt that at least half of the reviews said they needed a tune.

Now the company advertises that this part DOES NOT need a tune. My question is...should I save up and get a tuner regardless BEFORE installing this part, so as not to take a chance at hurting my engine (incase it runs too lean)? Or would it be ok to install the part right away (because I really want to )?

A tuner is going to be my next purchase regardless but like I said, I would like to install the CAI as soon as possible if I don't have to worry about hurting my vehicle. Also, I'm not a big car guy, but I also purchased the Flowmaster Axel-Back Exhaust, I'm not sure if that is/will be relevant to this question. Thanks all!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It's a gamble when a code might be thrown. Took mine a few weeks before it showed up. Most of the power gains will be from the tune, not the CAI. Unless you are set on the look of the BBK, I would just send it back and buy a CAI/Tune package. You get more bang for the buck. The BBK will rank a little lower than tune required CAI due to the "no tune required" design. There are plenty of threads on this exact topic, you can search and read your heart out.

Last edited by alkemist; 12-15-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
It's a gamble when a code might be thrown. Took mine a few weeks before it showed up. Most of the power gains will be from the tune, not the CAI. Unless you are set on the look of the BBK, I would just send it back and buy a CAI/Tune package. You get more bang for the buck. The BBK will rank a little lower than tune required CAI due to the "no tune required" design. There are plenty of threads on this exact topic, you can search and read your heart out.
I did for a few days before I registered but I was a little too quick on the trigger with buying the CAI before I found the tuner/CAI combo's. I'll have to look into AM's return policy to see if they'll accept the part back without hitting me with a restocking fee, as I would love to purchase a combo.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

I have way to many customers getting lean codes from this CAI for it to be a true 'no tune required' CAI.

And IMO, if your going to get lean codes, may as well go all out with a 'tune required' CAI that will show good gains.

Either way, the guys at Bama can set you up with a custom tune for that CAI that will work perfectly.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, I read up on their return policies and it shouldn't cost me anymore than the shipping back. I'll sleep better at night knowing my car is tuned to handle my mods as well.