Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Tuner chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Vanzer

Default Tuner chip

Hey guys, new to the site and have a question about a tuner chip.

Quick background: Used to have a 98 Mustang over 10 years ago. had to sell all of my toys back then for "new" family reasons... So its been awhile since I have had anything that I have enjoyed. Carting around the family in suv's for the last 8 years. I finally decided it was time to get myself something that I wanted. So I did. I bought a 2005 Mustang GT.

I am the third owner of this car. The original owner had aftermarket work done to it. The person I bought it from said they did nothing to it other than drive it for a year. Cold air intake, exhaust, springs, body kit and a chip.

So my question is about the chip. Since I am completely new to this and may add some things down the road, I need to know what I have here exactly. I was told the car is "chipped, tuned to 93 octane".

First, what does that mean exactly?
Second, where would this chip be located? Again I am very new to this so I looked in the obvious places, the 3 wire harnesses at the computer all look the same. Nothing attached to the areas around the intake. The person that I purchased the car from said it was probably in the computer. I want to make sure it is still there and not removed. And again, if I plan on doing anything myself, ill need to know what I have.

Hope I posted this in the right place
Thanks for the help
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Umm, well if it was given a 93 tune I would really hope that you were provided a tuner along with the car!.. If not you might end up having to get it reflashed to a stock tune just so you can modify it later down the road.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Vanzer

I was not given a tuner. When I asked, he was very vague and said it was just a chip. At least that is what he said he was told when he purchased the car. Either way I am slightly confused. If there is a chip, where is it? Could it actually be inside the computer box? I don't see anything in plain sight.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

It's really hard to just make a guess at what someone did to it.. Hell it could be stock tuned still for all we know, but if it's been flashed there's not much you can do about it now.. Most "chips" are tuners that just use the little OBDII port under the dash on the drivers side and flash a tune to the ECU... You can always buy your own from SCT or Diablo and put your own 93 tune. If it already has a tune it will let you know and will have to be reset to stock from a dealership.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vanzer
I was not given a tuner. When I asked, he was very vague and said it was just a chip. At least that is what he said he was told when he purchased the car. Either way I am slightly confused. If there is a chip, where is it? Could it actually be inside the computer box? I don't see anything in plain sight.
05+ Mustangs dont take actual chips, an actual programmer is required to be plugged into the OBDII port to 'reflash' the PCM with a new performance tune.