Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Tuner expectations & questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default Tuner expectations & questions

Hello.

I've been around and around with Diablo over a how to get an adjustment done on my Diablo Sport Predator programmer. I'm not here to throw anyone from Diablo under the bus, I just want to see if anyone else here understands what I'm asking for.

I have an automatic. I know the SCT programmers can be set in a way where the transmission shifts into OD only after a certain MPH. (for example 40mph)

I contacted Diablo about this and Mike told me it can be done with my Predator but it would require a custom tune from a "local diablo tuner"

The closest tuner is 45 miles away, so I called them. They told me "That's something Diablo can do for you. Tell them to email you the updated files and you can program it yourself"

So.... I contact Diablo again and tell them what I was told from the tuner. Their reply:
I don’t think we’re all on the same page.

This is not an ‘update’ issue, and we don’t provide custom tunes, we sell rather pricey software to dealers to allow them to create custom tunes for end users. Changing the shift patterns beyond what the tool allows for would be in the category of ‘custom tuning’, and thus something a CMR tuner would need to do for you…
So.. I guess the question is this. Why am I getting the run around from the tuner if Mike from Diablo is correct on this? Also, if my request is so hard to do, then why does it sound like a piece of cake with SCT?

This is kind of a big deal for me. I don't feel like I've gotten the customization abilities from the Predator that I could be getting from a different unit.

Would the best solution for me be to sell the Predator and getting a different programmer?

** If I do in fact have to get a "custom tune" just to adjust my shift into OD I see that as an awfully expensive adjustment. Not only that, there isn't a tuner within 100 miles other than the one who told me to have Diablo do it.

Tx for reading.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Diablo and SCT do not offer custom tunes. Mike is correct. They offer canned tunes that are a decent (better than stock) but not as agressive as could be provided by a Dyno tune.

American Muscle and Brenspeed are two tuner resellers that offer customized can tunes, way better than the SCT/Diablo factory offerings in that they have more experience to tune this more agressivly, again, still not as good as a dyno tune but darn close.

You may want to contact American Muscle or Brenspeed to see what they say since they work with custom canned tunes all day long. They should be able to definitely tell you what YOU can or cannot do and what their tune options can or cannot do with a Diablo tuner.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You may want to contact American Muscle or Brenspeed to see what they say since they work with custom canned tunes all day long. They should be able to definitely tell you what YOU can or cannot do and what their tune options can or cannot do with a Diablo tuner.
Thanks. Both of them only deal with SCT so I still sit with no local tuner.
Pretty deflating.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Um, nope. Diablo predator.....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/diablo...-mustangs.html

Oh and here's a list of user changeable parameters: I don't see what you're looking for in that list (MPH shift).

•Dual timing adjustment points (2000-4000 RPM / 4000-7000 RPM)
•Timing table (+10% / -40%)
•Dual fuel adjustment points (2000-4000 RPM / 4000-7000 RPM)
•Fuel table (+40% / -15%)
•Idle (+/- 20%)
•On/Off switch for Traction Control
•Raise Speed Limiter
•Rev Limiter
•Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes
•WOT Shift Pressure
•Part throttle shift firmness
•RPM Shift Points
•Torque Modulation (for better shift feel)
•Cooling Fan ON/OFF Temperatures
•All of these parameters can be adjusted on the DiabloSport tune and/or the factory tune
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Um, nope. Diablo predator.....
I called American Muscle, they said no.

They may sell the tuner, but they dont tune for it. I may just sell the thing and get an nTune or SCT
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Have you actually played around with it and researched your predator completely on chaning parameters?.. You may find something out there... google it, you can probably do it yourself..
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shampue
Hello.

I've been around and around with Diablo over a how to get an adjustment done on my Diablo Sport Predator programmer. I'm not here to throw anyone from Diablo under the bus, I just want to see if anyone else here understands what I'm asking for.

I have an automatic. I know the SCT programmers can be set in a way where the transmission shifts into OD only after a certain MPH. (for example 40mph)

I contacted Diablo about this and Mike told me it can be done with my Predator but it would require a custom tune from a "local diablo tuner"

The closest tuner is 45 miles away, so I called them. They told me "That's something Diablo can do for you. Tell them to email you the updated files and you can program it yourself"

So.... I contact Diablo again and tell them what I was told from the tuner. Their reply:

So.. I guess the question is this. Why am I getting the run around from the tuner if Mike from Diablo is correct on this? Also, if my request is so hard to do, then why does it sound like a piece of cake with SCT?

This is kind of a big deal for me. I don't feel like I've gotten the customization abilities from the Predator that I could be getting from a different unit.

Would the best solution for me be to sell the Predator and getting a different programmer?

** If I do in fact have to get a "custom tune" just to adjust my shift into OD I see that as an awfully expensive adjustment. Not only that, there isn't a tuner within 100 miles other than the one who told me to have Diablo do it.

Tx for reading.
Im not sure that the SCT tool allows what you are asking either....it may, but I dont think so.

As mentioned, changing shift schedules is a bit more complicated than setting a single RPM or MPH value, and its something that generally requires custom tuning.

The shift point adjustments we offer are for WOT shift points, as they do simply require a specific RPM value be entered. part throttle stuff is based on load, TP%, RPM, MPH, etc...

Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I understand what you're saying Mike. And I may be asking for something that frankly nobody else has or has cared to ask. I mean, its not hard for me to press the OD button in town after all

And TRexGAWD, yeah, I've done my homework and didn't find anything solid to use. That's why I contacted the manufacturer.

* I think is the grand scheme of all this, I'm more unhappy being blown off by the local tuner. He plain doesn't want my business.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Then F him and find a different tuner.. I doubt they will charge much as it should require dyno time.. That may be why the other guy is blowing you off since he wont make any money off you..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Contact BAMA directly. They do Diablo tunes but American Muscle will tell you that they don't. I found that out after I sold my Diablo because the AM rep told me they don't do custom tunes.

Quick Reply: Tuner expectations & questions