Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Steeda CAI Issues & Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Default Steeda CAI Issues & Solution

So I recently put on my Steeda CAI. I just wanted to share some of the issues I had with it along with error codes a fixes as I have worked though it. In hopes it will help people later on.

First thing when error codes start coming up don't freak out an assume it's all broken and its the fault of said company and tunes. That will get you no where best thing stay calm.

After installing my CAI from AM/BAMA my first start I ran the car on the stock tune. Started up everything check out no codes let it run for about 30 seconds to allow some adjustment time.

Plugged in the SCT tuner flashed it for the 91 Octane tune. Started the car up smelt fuel heavy very hard idle error code P0171 came up. Which is Bank 1 running lean. So I shut the car down cleared error codes started back up car ran smooth no codes. Thought everything was good.

This morning on my way to work I started smelling fuel then bam check engine light comes up. Lucky I had just left so I turned around and came home. Checked my codes and I got P0171 and P0174 which is Bank 1 and 2 running lean.

So what was the problem? I called up Bama and guess what I forgot to specify I had a Steeda CAI on my car Ooops. That would do it, so they promptly redid my tunes to account for the Steeda CAI. I got the new tunes within 45 minutes. Have not reflashed the ECU yet as I am at work till about 11pm so tomorrow I will be resetting the car to stock then reflash to 91 octane tune. Will post results.

Just wanted to also throw out a thank you to AM/Bama for your great support.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
So I recently put on my Steeda CAI. I just wanted to share some of the issues I had with it along with error codes a fixes as I have worked though it. In hopes it will help people later on.

First thing when error codes start coming up don't freak out an assume it's all broken and its the fault of said company and tunes. That will get you no where best thing stay calm.

After installing my CAI from AM/BAMA my first start I ran the car on the stock tune. Started up everything check out no codes let it run for about 30 seconds to allow some adjustment time.

Plugged in the SCT tuner flashed it for the 91 Octane tune. Started the car up smelt fuel heavy very hard idle error code P0171 came up. Which is Bank 1 running lean. So I shut the car down cleared error codes started back up car ran smooth no codes. Thought everything was good.

This morning on my way to work I started smelling fuel then bam check engine light comes up. Lucky I had just left so I turned around and came home. Checked my codes and I got P0171 and P0174 which is Bank 1 and 2 running lean.

So what was the problem? I called up Bama and guess what I forgot to specify I had a Steeda CAI on my car Ooops. That would do it, so they promptly redid my tunes to account for the Steeda CAI. I got the new tunes within 45 minutes. Have not reflashed the ECU yet as I am at work till about 11pm so tomorrow I will be resetting the car to stock then reflash to 91 octane tune. Will post results.

Just wanted to also throw out a thank you to AM/Bama for your great support.
Whoops, that's a simple mistake! Now that we know exactly what mods you have, we'll get your tune dialed in for you perfectly.

Please let me know if you have any issues with the new tune or if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Ran the new 91 Octane tune this morning, first start up no check engine popped. Slammed on the car hard on the way to work no check engine light. I would have to say it's fixed and running perfectly. Even more of an increase in power now that its not running lean.

I did encounter a problem with updating the drives on windows 8. When I installed the sct program and it tried to do the driver update it erred out saying the dll could not be read. Lucky my laptop has windows 7 and it worked just fine on it. Have you guys had any issues with Windows 8? If need be I can try it again and send you in the error reports it was giving.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

DocSnickers, it is refreshing to read a post where someone is not A. Calling out a company for a mistake, B. the Poster is owning up to his own mistake, C. The OP is not playing Internet Rambo and getting nasty, and D. We get to here about great customer service from a company we all use.

Another satisfied AM customer.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Windows 8 itself is 'an issue'.... Unless the program is written as an "app" windows 8 will have issues with the software and drivers.

I would recommend installing the SCT software in Compatibility mode on your W8 system to see if it works.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...evices-working

Personally Windows 8 sucks. When I got a whiff of what it was and how it works, I stocked up on Windows 7 licenses (OEM) to keep my computers running until the next Microsoft OS. That way if I get new stuff I can downgrade it to Windows 7.

Sorry but I have to point this out. Microsoft is consistently inconsistent....Every other OS is garbage. Win 3.1 Good, Win 95 Garbage, Win 98 Good, Win ME garbage, Win XP good, Win Vista Garbage, Win 7 Good, Win 8 garbage.... /rant
Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by CPTCO
DocSnickers, it is refreshing to read a post where someone is not A. Calling out a company for a mistake, B. the Poster is owning up to his own mistake, C. The OP is not playing Internet Rambo and getting nasty, and D. We get to here about great customer service from a company we all use.

Another satisfied AM customer.
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of those types of threads too (not this one). What ever happened to professional or human decorum? Take care of it privately and only if there is no other recourse, resort to the internet.

Last edited by Derf00; 08-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of those types of threads too (not this one). What ever happened to professional or human decorum? Take care of it privately and only if there is no other recourse, resort to the internet.
I think that what bothers me the most is, most guys don't even give a chance to right there wrong. They just vilify a company at the first sign of a problem.
Maybe we should all make an effort to post good experiences like this one.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its why as soon as windows 8 threw the driver error I just move to my laptop.

Windows 8 works great for my 3D work that I do on a daily basis. Was a huge improvement in performance there. But does not like these tuners at all.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its why as soon as windows 8 threw the driver error I just move to my laptop.

Windows 8 works great for my 3D work that I do on a daily basis. Was a huge improvement in performance there. But does not like these tuners at all.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Thought I would post an image of what it looks like while I was at it.