Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Best Cold Air Intake for 2005-2010 V6's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:57 AM
GOPONY2006

Post Best Cold Air Intake for 2005-2010 V6's?

Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or reviews on cold air intakes and tunes for 2005-2012 V6's. I was looking at buying a K&N, Roush , or JLT kind of leaning with JLT looks 3.5 inch tube sounds like would allow more air, better flow, and HP/TQ. I just purchased SCT iTSX and was going to use it with K&N High Flow Drop-In Air Filter for the meantime. I take it I could run tune with just that correct without tossing any angry wrench check engine lights?

Also I'm wondering what's the best tunes. I've been running 87 Octane since I bought the car along with using STP products each oil change once a month toss a gallon or two of 93 diluted in 87 to help with cleaning additives. So my question would be if jumping to 89/91/93 due any damage in the long run? and could I roll back tunes for 87 on long trips out of state?
I see most people running BAMA tunes seem to have good results. Any other choices out there I heard of Brenspeed, but I believe they don't offer $150 life time free tunes tho?

Anyone running V6 with a JLT CAI? Any help, advice and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Great questions! I think you'll find most quality CAI's will produce similar or the same results for power, while your Mustang is in it's stock form. Some of my favorite and most reputable CAI's out there are JLT & Airaid. Both of them use top notch materials with their intakes and are peak performers in the industry. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with choosing either of them!

I see you've already picked up an iTsX tuner to pull some more power out of your Mustang. You can benefit from the iTsX even more with some custom tunes fitted for your particular Mustang. Our Bama tunes will certainly do the trick and provide multiple tunes for different fuel octanes that you're interested in using.

Running different octane fuels won't have any long term negative affects to your Mustang, if ran properly. You really should use a custom tune that's written for the particular fuel octane you're using. Of course, you can always run a lower octane tune when using a higher octane fuel, but there's not benefit or danger there. However, if you're using a tune for say 93, but have a mix of 87 & 93 in the tank, you can cause detonation in the combustion chamber. For cases like this, it's best to use the lowest octane tune until you can do a complete refuel of higher octane.

This should have covered everything, but if you have more questions let me know. I'd be happy to help!

Shane