Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Kudos to Bama @ AM

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default Kudos to Bama @ AM

I've been pretty happy with my tunes that American Muscle has provided me in the past. I got the lifetime tunes from them a few years go and still only had the first 3 they gave me, especially since I haven't modded my engine much (other than the initial C&L CAI I had). The only problem I ever had with all the tunes I had was that I could never pass inspection, unless I put the stock cai back in. It was always failing too many times on the monitors (OBD2 port diags)

Well, I was recently in getting MM Caster/camber plates installed at PMP and was talking about it with the owner. He suggested I call up AM to have new tunes made, but leave the O2 censor enable. So I did.

While I was getting some ball joint work done yesterday, I asked them to plug the monitor back in to my car (getting it inspected next month anyway) to see if it fails anything. With the 93 performance tune (o2 enabled). It passed all monitors. This is promising. I can't wait to see (hopefully) it pass. It will be a good day when I don't have to put the old CAI back in.

Glad I got the lifetime tunes. After I pay the car off, hopefully I'll be able to do more engine mods and get even better tunes.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the shout out Murphdog! You absolutely shouldn't have to switch intakes back and forth to pass emissions. I'm glad to see the Bama Team got you taken care of with an updated set of tunes. I only wish you asked for an updated set earlier!

Tell me about your game plan when you have a chance. As you mentioned above- once the car is paid off, you're planning on added some new mods.. What were you thinking of upgrading?

Shane
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=Murphdog;8300031]I've been pretty happy with my tunes that American Muscle has provided me in the past. I got the lifetime tunes from them a few years go and still only had the first 3 they gave me, especially since I haven't modded my engine much (other than the initial C&L CAI I had). The only problem I ever had with all the tunes I had was that I could never pass inspection, unless I put the stock cai back in. It was always failing too many times on the monitors (OBD2 port diags)

Looks like Shane beat me to it!

Glad you're really enjoying your Bama tune and have a file that will pass emissions.

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 10-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Well, after the first or second inspection I had, prior to getting the lifetime tunes, I think I did call AM (I don't remember the exact conversation) and I inquired about a "emissions" tune that would help but the person I spoke to wasn't familiar and I don't recall what it is they said exactly.

As far as what's next...
Bigger brake kits. There are a few tracks around here (Austin) like COTA and a school called Driveway Austin that I'd like to take my car on but feel I should do brakes before I start going around them.

Ford Racing intake manifold. A buddy of mine purchased the Boss intake manifold from you guys back in the summer and we installed it. That got me interested.

Cams? My question about new cams would be....If I get these while I have the intake manifold, then later upgrade to a supercharger. Would I need to upgrade these again? I've seen some that would benefit supercharged engines and some that do not. Or are there some that would work just fine either way but still increase power?

Eventually I'd love to get a supercharger. I've been leaning towards a Roush or Ford Racing version between 475 and 550 hp

Other purchases will be...
MGW shifter.
Watts link, but money slows that purchase down, so I'll settle for a panhard bar for now. Looking at the Steeda.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Well, after the first or second inspection I had, prior to getting the lifetime tunes, I think I did call AM (I don't remember the exact conversation) and I inquired about a "emissions" tune that would help but the person I spoke to wasn't familiar and I don't recall what it is they said exactly.

As far as what's next...
Bigger brake kits. There are a few tracks around here (Austin) like COTA and a school called Driveway Austin that I'd like to take my car on but feel I should do brakes before I start going around them.

Ford Racing intake manifold. A buddy of mine purchased the Boss intake manifold from you guys back in the summer and we installed it. That got me interested.

Cams? My question about new cams would be....If I get these while I have the intake manifold, then later upgrade to a supercharger. Would I need to upgrade these again? I've seen some that would benefit supercharged engines and some that do not. Or are there some that would work just fine either way but still increase power?

Eventually I'd love to get a supercharger. I've been leaning towards a Roush or Ford Racing version between 475 and 550 hp

Other purchases will be...
MGW shifter.
Watts link, but money slows that purchase down, so I'll settle for a panhard bar for now. Looking at the Steeda.
Murphdog,

Lots of upgrades planned for the future, that's awesome! I'm pretty power hungry when it comes to Mustangs myself..

Ford Racing Intake is a decent bolt-on in general, but really shines when paired with cams and a supercharger. For the way your build is going to turn out, it's perfect.

Now cams there's a bunch of different options. You're correct that if you run too radical of a Naturally Aspirated inspired camshafts, they'll hinder performance when supercharged. However, there's a few cams that can swing either N/A or Boost. My favorites are the FRPP Hot Rod camshafts. These cams make great power N/A, have a loppey idle, but still work great with Boost. Needless to say, I'd go with those!

Sounds like your GT is going to be a monster on the track when you're finished. I can't wait to see the project through. Good luck and let me know if you need any assistance!

Shane
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Will do, thanks.